This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abandoned HD21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abandoned HD21
    Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 9:15am
Thought I'd share these pics with you guys. Some of you may have seen them over on HEF.
I hate to see old equipment left to rot.

Edited by ACcrazy - 19 Mar 2013 at 9:24am
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 9:42am
Sinful. I know of a collection up here in Northern Iowa that looks the same way. The difference is that even though the items sit out, they are safe from the scrapper,--------- for now.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 10:06pm
I spent a lot of hours on a HD21 back in 1971. But that one had a hydraulic blade. I was always impressed by how easy it started up in the morning. It was a beast, plain and simple!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 10:29pm
Ran an old HD16 with the Allis -Buda in it.Frost on the ground and ice on the puddles and it would fire right off.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 2:53am
Sure needs to saved alright, even if only for parts. Down here 21s are now very difficult to find, and 16s are right behind them on the endangered species list.
I`ve no experience with 21s, I`m wondering if that tractor is a later model 21A having the Farr air cleaner, as the Farr was not fitted to HD11 until wet steering clutch models arrived early to mid 60s?
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 12:58am
Thanks Bruce for posting these pictures, I find them interesting to 'study'......of course with mixed feelings. On the one hand the neglect and abandonment aspect is sad.......on the positive side it's a bit like studying the tombstone of a hero from the past. I like to imagine when this machine was sold at the dealers lot......the new proud owner had it moved to the first job site......pushing dirt like nothing he had ever owned before.......making nothing but good money (leaving out thoughts of early repairs or warranty work). This machine worked good and hard for many years proving its worth and admired by guys like us......then finally came the last day it was running.......for whatever reason we may never know.......but here it remains a monument to a productive most useful past while turning fuel into brute work.......following the operator's every command. This leaves me with a good feeling. However, I am fully supportive of someone parting out 'old heroes' like this making them useful again.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 1:32am
Sad part about this one is,,, Its so dang far away from me!
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 7:59am
Thanks for all the comments guys.
The story behind this machine as was told to me by my uncle is it quit steering, so rather than repair it, they just drove it off the road a bit and parked it. That was some time in the late '70s I believe. My uncle and I tried to buy it but they wouldn't sell for what we were offering. That was 20 years ago. The pics were taken 1 or 2 years ago.
The land has changed hands since then I think. It would be kinda interesting to see if the new owners would turn loose of it.
The ironic thing is, this machine is probably only a few miles from my home as the crow flies. AND, it is only maybe a quarter mile from a paved county road. Unfortunately, you have to cross a rickety old rail car bridge that probably wouldn't hold the weight of the machine let alone the machine on a low bed. BUT if one were to actually repair it where it sits, it could probably be driven out to my house on logging roads through a couple different logging companys and at least one private owners land.
Ya know, just for sheets and giggles, maybe I'll look into finding the new owners and have a little talk.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 7:13am
ACcrazy; GO FOR IT!! I am sure that you don't call yourself CRAZY for nuthin! LOL! Darrel
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 8:07am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

ACcrazy; GO FOR IT!! I am sure that you don't call yourself CRAZY for nuthin! LOL! Darrel

Well, I'm not REALLY crazy, but thanks for the vote of confidence Darrel!
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 3:34pm
yeah a bloody waste alright. Commented this too on HEF when i saw it.
As Mactractor noted has the farr aircleaner; so this is probably a very late 21A with the oil converter and steering clutchs. [early were diesel converter and dry steering clutchs]
Probably was very little wrong with it when parked; blocked suction screen if it wouldn,t steer. Manuel trans, was very little to go wrong with them.
Winch is either a J10 or maybe even a J120 Carco. Would have been a awesome winch salvage tractor in its day; and even today still would be if it went. Is always a place for big winch tractors when thinks turn to poo and/or mud ! ! And nothing pulls like a torque converter driven winch.
My thoughs anyway, good luck with it ACcrazy.
cheers merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 4:23pm
looks like an early one that has had a dry air cleaner added.  upside down filters are dead giveaway for buda/lanova engine. you can also see the lines on the intake side, they are different than later engines cuase of injector placement. 21's and 16's went to direct injection in 58'
steering system is pretty simple on early dry clutch machines.  oil system is open circuit.  pull lever and it blocks a hole in steering clutch piston, oil pushes piston back and turns a shaft and lever to actuate clutch release yoke.
bad part is buda/lanova engine parts are hard to find
you need a dozer to drag it home and then work on it lol
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 6:13pm
That's another Logging tractor for AC Mel , it would look nice after being through his workshop!
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 6:17pm
Hope you get this machine AC Crazy.  It deserves to be salvaged or repaired.  Good luck am hoping the new property owners see the benefit on preserving AC.  
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 7:22pm
Crazy go for it.. wish things like that were that close to home and no tar around.. but between rivers and swamps and mud and tar, there ain't no walking to even some of my fields...
 Yup, thats a buda lanova engine...injectors are on the side. If you can get it to run, and the clutches hold, you can walk it home and have a steer cat ahead.

Dang, that would be a nice old cat to have... pretty straight.
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 8:28pm
You guys have no idea (or maybe you do) how much I'd love to have this machine. With the exception of a little model M that was given me that I didn't do anything with, I've never owned my own dozer. My family had an HD16 cable blade with Carco winch that I rode on plenty, worked on and set chokers behind but that's as close as I've been. My uncle was the one who operated it (and dang, he was good!). Unfortunately, he passed away in 1999 and my cousin sold it without saying anything to me or my mother or grandmother who, consequently, actually owned it.

I'm pretty financially embarrassed right now and don't really have much money to put out on such an endeavor but I'm going to pursue this as far as I can. It's definitely fun to think about and who knows, maybe the new owners will play ball!

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:41am
Bruce and I talked about this tractor last week when we met at the Redwood Region Logging Conference equipment show. It actually looks worse than I thought,but I know it's not to far from the salt air. If he can get a commitment from the new owners, we'll be standing by to assist. We have all the books,tools and attitude to make it work and a few parts too. It looks like are next restoration will be an HD11 and HD11G for this coming year followed by 16s, so HD21s are 2 years out for us. It's a 3 hour road trip for us, but in AC miles that's not far. Also not to far from this tractor is a HD20G loader that we have been negotiating with the owner for over 10 years to no avail. (we need to call on him again). I have to get together with Bruce first, but I think I have photos of his family's HD16 which we came across, the engine had since died and we were hoping to acquire it for parts. (it may have been scrapped already)
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:52pm
Mel! Good to hear back from you! It was great to meet you. It was excellent talking dozers for the short time we had.

If I can get together with the new owners of this 21 and they agree to turn loose of it, I would gladly turn it over to you. I know it would have the best possible chance with you and your crew at a new life.

Oh, that guy we talked with about the 16, I e-mailed and left a voice mail with him last Sunday but haven't heard anything back.

If you want, go ahead and post up the pictures of the 16. I'd like to see if it is indeed our old one.

Edited by ACcrazy - 23 Mar 2013 at 12:54pm
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 6:35pm
Thanks for the correction CAL. Dry aircleaner tricked me. Can see the injectors on LH side of head in 1st pic now. Didn,t know about the filters, so thats a good easy way to tell.
Turbo puts it in the 9000-11000 s/ns anyway. numbers above that are 21000 series engine.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 7:55pm
Is some exellent videos on youtube from Quiring towing showing a volvo excavator rescue; parts 1 and 2; with winch tractors. Yellow ones, but great footage of diesel being convertered to music and smoke; more than enough to strike terror into the heart of any treehugger !Clap 
Just shows even girls similar to this have a place, when nothing else will do.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 10:20am
Bruce, here are some pictures of the HD16 that could have belonged to your family. I told you last week it was orange,wrong,it was yellow. This was several years ago, the engine had gone bad so like the 21 it was going to be a major job to move. We had tentatively made a deal but the logistics never worked out. Pretty sure it's gone, but we are going to double check
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 11:09am
That's it!! My uncle welded those hooks on the back for choker cables. We bought that nice comfortable seat and installed it. I bought and installed the spark arrester. My uncles friend painted it using a bunch of different color yellows and such laying around that he mixed together and also painted the black accents.
That brings back some very fond memories. I hope it didn't get scrapped.
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 7:48pm
Well, me and a buddy visited the 21 again today and it's been vandalized a little more but it's still pretty okay. The fan spins easily as the belts are missing. The clutch lever works smoothly and cams over nice. Amazingly the turbo is free and spins over very smoothly. I checked the engine oil and it's full but very black with no signs of water intrusion.
As we were getting ready to walk back out, three dogs showed up followed by a guy who wasn't extremely happy to see us. In fact, he said we need to get the he!! out of there. I explained why I was there and apologized for trespassing. His demeanor changed as we talked on the walk out--he walked with us to the gate to make sure we were leaving. He watches the land for the owner and the cool thing is HE TOLD ME WHO THE LANDOWNER IS! It happens to be a family who has lived in this area for ever. Her number is in the phonebook so I called and left a message saying who I was and what I wanted and to please call me back. So, let's see what happens...
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 9:23pm
She called me back! She hasn't given me a definite yes but she's willing to discuss it. It sounds like she wouldn't be opposed to me working on it where it sits to see if it can be made to run.

AC Mel to the courtesy phone--we need to talk.

Edited by ACcrazy - 24 Mar 2013 at 9:23pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 9:47pm
Sounds like good news.  I can't imagine any reason the owner wouldn't want to get rid of something of no value to her but is worth selling to someone who wants to bring it back to life. 
Looking forward to hearing the outcome of your meeting.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:10am
Accrazy, Maybe when you go talk to her, take a box of chocolates... maybe she will take a shine to ya and make a great deal... And if not, make sure Mel has his checkolate book handy... LOL
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 9:20am
Its starting to come together.....
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 10:52am
A few pics from yesterday.
If you look closely you can see the hour meter is now missing and someone tried ripping off the Allis-Chalmers plaque from the hood. Angry

My friend Don checking it out.

A couple of canisters removed from the right front floorboard tossed to the ground just to the right of the machine. The exhaust and seat frame are also there just out of the pic.

A couple plugs have been removed from the injection pump. I covered the open holes with a couple beer cans that were laying around.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 11:20am
That would be a pretty cool venture if you and AC Mel can join forces and get that old girl put back together, fired up, and "bulldoz" yer' way outta' there! Talk about bringing something  back from the Grave. Literally...! Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:09pm
a couple of batteries, and a sniff of either, and she'll be purrin again!!  Nice find, I hopeit works out for you.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic