This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 7000 diet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 14dandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 7000 diet
    Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 8:10pm
I'm thinking of trying my hand at a hot farm tractor.  I have experience with modified tractors, but none with hot farm or any other diesel class.
I know of a 7000 that I could possibly get cheap.  How light can you get a 7000 (tractor data says its ~9500lbs) and what would you have to do to get it that light?  Is there any way to get it to 6500lbs or am I dreaming? 
Is a 7000 a decent choice or do I need to look at a 190xt or 200?  I would like to use the 649t engine.  The local clubs max cube rule is 350ci if turbocharged and I want to run a turbo. 
Sponsored Links

O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 8:32pm
There is a guy in Illinois that has a 7000 down to less than 6500. He will probably post on here. You are thinking right with the 301 engine. Easy enough to get to the 350 limit and will be competative there if done correctly. Do you have turbo or pump limits? A 180 - 185 or 190 would work well also. A 190 would be lighter than a 7000 by 2 - 300 lbs I would guess. A 180 - 185 would be lighter yet. The advantage to the 7000 is that there is a ton of room under the hood.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:33am
It should be easy to get it down that low , pressed steel wheels , light front end , its just a 200 with more tranny speeds ; and alot of room under that hood is right !!!That 301 luvs the fuel and air and you can get alot of power out of it !
14dandy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 14dandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 9:48am
Limits are 2.3" turbo intake no larger than TO4 foot and one injection pump no larger than bosch A pump. Is the 349 a better engine to work with than the 2900?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:46am
Any 301 will run the same performance wise. The advantage to the later model engine would be the crankshaft driven oil pump, and piston cooling (on some). Some people think that the later "copper injector sleeve" head flow more air. I don't necessarily agree with that.  None of them flow worth a damn but for a 2.3 inlet limt they will work just fine. The A pump rule is no restriction really. If you have enough $$$ you can buy one of those that will deliver 700 plus cc's. Way more than you would ever need.

I have a 341 C.I. kit that will fit in the block with no block boring needed if that interest you.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 11:35am
HHHMMM those are good limits for a 301 , if you can -get the crank driven oil pump , i have a cam driven one and it turns alot of R,sss and once a year the gear on the oil shaft will strip , you need a big red light to come on then - dont kno when it will happen
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 12:16pm
Need to run 15W40 oil instead of 30 or 40 weight. Also need to return the turbo drain oil into the hole in the block on the left side where a ignition distributor goes to flood those oil pump gears with lube.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 12:24pm
Ah ha makes sence
Bob C IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 3:02pm
My 7000 is 6150 with me and no weight
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 4:49pm
Bob what is the weight difference gonna be with the new engine if any?
Bob C IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 5:19pm
Dont know... but still got a lot of metal i can cut off and add aluminum wheels
14dandy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 14dandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 10:07pm
So if it the 301ci model engine (340 or 2900) doesn't make much difference then what about the 2 different trannys?  Power director or power shift?  I see there are some other posts about manualy coupling the power director and power shift not working so well.  Whats the best option?
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 4:14am
I wouldnt run a powershift they will never hold up to much over factory hp settings, in pullin you want more gear to gear the less clutches the better, a Powerdirector will handle added horsepower- to a certain extent, then you can couple it or bolt it and run straight thru
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 6:29am
Originally posted by 14dandy 14dandy wrote:

So if it the 301ci model engine (340 or 2900) doesn't make much difference then what about the 2 different trannys?  Power director or power shift?  I see there are some other posts about manualy coupling the power director and power shift not working so well.  Whats the best option?
Bob is running a 7000, not 7000 series tractor. A 7000 is basically the 200 drivetrain with some major modifications. But a completely different design than the actual 7000 series drivetrain, 7010 and up. BTW, those tractors are way heavier.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Chris WI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 10:30pm
I agree, the 7000 is the key. 7010 or 7020 will not work.  would a person gain much with an intercooler off a 7020?
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 8:56am
You may gain some hp , depends what class, hot farm etc yeah, superstock- things are happenin so fast you prolly wouldnt notice
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:08am
There's some gains with the intercooler, and of course the more time it has to work, the more gains it will give.  If you could (were allowed to) plumb it to run ice water through the intercooler only and not engine coolant, there's more gains. 

It would seam that a 301 would benifit more from an intercooler than other engines would.   They suffer from poor port flow and are compensated by higher boost pressures.  Both factors causing the air to heat more, and have more time for an intercooler to do it's job. 
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:11pm
I agree that an intercooler will help and the colder the fluid pumped through the core the better. If you can use any intercooler (other than a 301 / 7020) You can make an adapter plate and use a 426 cooler (bigger core - better volume of air) or better yet, one from Frozen Boost or any of the big "aluminum can" type. An intercooler will be the cheapest HP and ft lbs you will buy on a turbo diesel if you are able to run ice water.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic