This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disc Mower Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farminharmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc Mower Recommendations
    Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 12:43pm
I am looking for a good used 8 foot disc mower.  I have a New Idea 5407 disc mower which is a 7 foot but would like an 8 foot mower to use on my bigger tractor.  Just wondering what some of you guys recommend.  Thanks.
B110 CA D10II (2)D12III 5040 5050 6080 170
JD5205 Kubota M9000 Kubota M95S
Sponsored Links

Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 1:34pm
We have a 5408 red NI that has served us well.  Only problem we had was a bearing went out in the drop box (or whatever you call the main gear box that goes down to the bar) and it caused a gear to drop and chew up the gear teeth on it and the one that drives it.  It was actually a pretty easy repair and cost a lot less than I had expected.  I'm pretty certain the whole parts bill was under $200 for the 2 gears, bearing, and the hex shaft that also got chewed up.  But, I'm probably preaching to the choir seeing you have a 5407...  

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
bill2260 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill2260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 1:43pm
I have a 617 nh 9 ft that I use on the back of my 185. Pain in the but to put on and off. I have figured it out, but must use ones noggin and it takes around 10 minutes to put on if you do it right. I put it on when I start mowing and don't take it off till done in the fall now. It does an excellent job of mowing and no problems so far. Use 4 or 5 seasons. Bill
farminharmon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farminharmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 1:45pm
I was thinking of going with a 5408 New Idea since I already know how they work and parts would interchange.  My 5407 has been a really good mower.  Its heavy though. 
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 4:53pm
I'm sure you know this but go and move the heads on the used models to see how much play they have.   I checked out NH, Kuhn, white New Ideas (made by Lely), and others.  The only old machines that were tight after abuse were the Lely made New Idea machine and the Kuhn.  When I bought a disk mower I got the Vermeer partly because their cutterhead is made by Lely.  IMO Lely, Kuhn and one other one I can't place right now are Top  Tier cutterheads.  The cutterheads used by Hesston/New Idea now and MF are from a second tier manufacturer IMO.  Meaning they weren't the originators of the desingn but copied it and some do OK doing it and are second tier.  The third tier ones copy the original cutterhead and don't do a good job of it.

I like Vermeer because of the cutterhead but also their design and their made by a friendly family owned company who staff is knowledgeable.  Everything they make seems heavier than the competition especially where it counts.  Exchanging the knives on the cutterhead are really easy too.
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 6:41pm
I haven't had one, but we have a Krone baler and it is top notch quality.  They make a lot of disc mowers, so it might be something to look into.  Like I said, don't know much about them, just know that the company is high quality.  What are you planning on pulling the new mower with?  We pull our 5408 behind a Ford 6610 without front weights alright.  I prefer the 7610 with 600lbs up front, but it's not unsafe to do it with the 6610.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 6:57pm
I OWNED A 9120 Vermeer .. tough machine .....
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Gary IN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary IN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 8:12pm
Have the hex shaft out of 5409 if anyone is interested. Ran one for a few years, now have a case IH which is much heavier and a little better made then the new idea (gray model) 5409. Gary IN
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:45pm
Do they/does anyone make a six foot one for a smaller hp tractor, such as a D17?  Something like that would be nice for my acreage and the small amount I cut and bale.  Dave
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:03pm
i would love to have one, but all of the ones i see on auctions are really wore out! i can't afford a new one as i only have about 5 acres of hay and grass to mow. i have seen small ones for acreage tractors...3 and 4 ft in size, but don't recall the makers.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farminharmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 7:26am
I have seen some smaller ones from Vicon and Fella.  But don't know much about them.
bauerd44 View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bauerd44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 11:27am
All of you that are using disc mowers, do you ever wish you had a disc conditioner instead.  I am using a sickle conditioner and have thought about a disc mower.  My friend had a disc conditioner but the cost is way too much for me to justify.  Do you run a tedder after these disc mowers, or do you just rake.

Thanks for the info.    Dale
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farminharmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 12:16pm
I always ted after I mow with my disc mower.  A disc mower conditioner is just too bulky for me to use as I mow a lot of hay off the farm and its much more convinient when hauling as you can just load tractor and mower at the same time on the same trailer and go.  If you are making haylage hay will get to the optimal 60% moister a lot faster by using a disc mower and running a tedder through it right after.  If you break the stems with a conditioner it slows the drying process and lets more of the nutrients escape.  But if you are baling dry hay a conditioner will speed up the long term drying process.  Disc mowers just seem a lot more economical.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 6:02pm

We have sold many brands, I like the latest model NI (Agco/Hesston/MF)  whatever it is painted as a version.  NI mowers started out circa 1980 as LELY bars (square shaft drive) with NI gearboxes.  Lely parts are  high. The next generation was a NI/Bush Hog cooperative effort sharing many common parts but with different frames and gear boxs.  The next change was to short shafts instead of one long one with the gears broached all the way through and not just 1/2 way as well as securing the tops with a deeper groove to increase strength and not using the allen head bolts.    Next change was hardening of the shafts . BIG CHaNGE - about 6? years ago when the hitch was redesignd to accept quick hitch, added a dipstick and access port to each head for ez check and service with out teardown.  offset increased, modular heads were increased in strength , shear shafts added for prevention of shaft twisting,  seals added for either oil or synthietic grease and  heavier skid shoes.  American made (mostly) , all asae bolts and nuts - no metrics - will never leak oil (has no oil only synthetic grease in gearbox or heads) shear shaft protected, will have even wear- not excessive in inside gears due to modular not gear to gear drive, has  easy reset breakaway, hyd cylinder easy to pac and is treated to resisit rust, mechanical lock up instead of hydraulic, can mow 90 degree up or 30 degree down without failure and one can hydraulicly fold the unit up without leaving tractor to manually fold up tarp frame.    Geez am I a saleszman or what.  One item Acgo aint screwed up - yet.      

kffischer View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kffischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Dave (NE) Dave (NE) wrote:

Do they/does anyone make a six foot one for a smaller hp tractor, such as a D17?  Something like that would be nice for my acreage and the small amount I cut and bale.  Dave

vermeer makes some pull type disc mowers so you don't have to worry about a 3 point hitch.  I think current production is a little bigger than you're looking for, but someone should still be making smaller ones and there are used out there.  Another mower that is popular in europe is the drum mower.  It takes less power, but is the same principle as a disc mower.  They are also available in fairly narrow cutting widths.

karl f
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:46pm
I've had a Hesston 1345 (12') MC with the flail conditioner for several years.  I was a bit concerned it would take the leaves off alfalfa but unless the bugs have been bad or the hay has frozen, it doesn't.  Compared to my old NH 499, it's night and day.  The hay drys just as fast and the flails seem to scrape the wax off the stems more then break them.  Drying time seems about the same.  Only cut about 70 acres per year 2 to 4 times so hopefully it will last a long time.  No repairs other then blades so far.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic