This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crossbreeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crossbreeding
    Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 7:44pm
Here's a couple pictures of something I'm buuilding.  I made mention of getting pics posted a while agoe and never got around to it.  It's a 5 main counterweighted crank going in an Allis 226 block.  Some of you may have seen pictures of my old engine and the main cap assembly I made to tie it togather.  This one will finish out similar with 2 more mains bolted into the block.

I made a new cylinder head for the project and have to finish my guide plate for it.  I'll get pictures of it up soon when I get around to takeing them.

In a few weeks I hope to have some pictures to post of a finshed assembly, or at least finished enough to go to the machine shop for line boreing.  I'm so busy with customer projects, my own equipment and building our alcohol superstock that I don't know how much time I'll have to put into the Allis engine.  Thank God for good employes.

Edited by wi50 - 19 Dec 2011 at 7:51pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 7:50pm

Well, I'm impressed !!!......now, what is the crankshaft out of (if I might ask)??

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 9:12pm
Your tag line says it all. I wonder what kind of trouble you caused your school teachers! LOL!
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 9:15pm
Nice work.
I thought this post was going to be about something else. LOL
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 9:21pm
Maybe next time. eh!!!
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
mark vaughn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark vaughn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:21pm
Im speechless           that is BEAUTIFUL WORK.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:29pm

Now that's neat.  Anyone can bolt parts togather but few can design and build from the ground up.  Keep up the good work!!!

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:53pm
thank's fella's.

There's a lot more to it than just machining or bolting togather parts.  One needs to worry about what this or that can support, how strong of parts am I working with for a given project and what comprimises do I have to make in order to make it work and stay togather at it's desired speeds or sizes.  What a head can flow, what a specific engine designs airflow requirements are, at different points in it's cycle and how to match them togather.  What valve opening rates are needed and how to get them.  I've made billet cams and custom rocker arms.  I don't know how many hundreds or thousands hours I've spent machining something from scratch, modifying something existing and flow testing this or that and running the numbers.  Don't get stuck in the single dimensional thinking that some people have that this is alwayse better than that........and don't think that just because the computer says it will work, or it works on paper that it's going to work in real life.

Dr Allis, lets just say I'm pretty loyal to my Deere equipment.  The 4 cyl engine family weather it's an old 202, gas, diesel, or a new 4045 have a lot of things in common.

Here's an old picture that was in my file here of my old 201 block with a Leroi crank in it.  At least one can see what a finished product looks like.  I built this a long time agoe, like winter of 2001-2002 if I rember right.  Picture was taken this spring when we re assembled the engine.

Edited by wi50 - 19 Dec 2011 at 11:37pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 3:41pm
I had a chance to get my liners made the other day.  Used a set from a Deere 466, 7.6L or 8.1L engine as they are all great quality hardended liners and good easily avaliable cantidates to start with.  A friend has a boreing bar and when we get a little time we will set up to bore the block and press the larger liners in.

Edited by wi50 - 01 Jan 2012 at 3:47pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 4:35pm
I dont see a square step to keep the sleeve from pulling through the bottom
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 4:48pm
I see what looks like a lip in the top picture.  Not a very big one, but a lip none the less.
AaronSEIA
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 4:53pm

Ml's eyes are clouded by jelousy. Again.   I see a step around the top also and what looks like the top counterbore, barrel, bottom counterbore and relief on what hangs in the crankcase. 

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:02pm
I am getting old but i dont see a square step about 2  inches  from either end to be a bottom counter bore . It cant have any radius
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:10pm
Well, then...won't you be happy when this POS he's building sucks all the sleeves into the crankcase and consumes his didn't really make it on his own crank.  I swear, you guys need to go out back and settle this.  I like reading about people who have the time, money, and talent to do stuff like this.  That goes for WI50's builds and the one you worked on the last year or so.  If every puller had the same thing it'd be like IROC in NASCAR.  It's getting old watching people with talent, money, and time have their work shot down by others.
AaronSEIA
P.S.  Keep posting what you are accomplishing...both of you.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:32pm
AAron get a life .if it has a square step its good if it has a radius step . he should  turn it square. but he could be planning on none of the sleeve protruding out the bottom and making a step by not running the boring bar all the way out the bottom like we do straight barrel repair sleeves  in damage v8 cylinders. Allis OEM sleeves protrude through . I just love commenting mind readers who knows my intentions
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 6:00pm
Don't worry Aaron, a kicked dog is the one that barks.
Yea, I can fix that.....
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 6:40pm
Can you turn enough RPMs to make a 2 finger Crower clutch engauge?  MACK
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 8:18pm
To clear up someones confusion there is a flange on top of the liners for them to hang on or seat in the block.  They press fit into the bottom counterbore only to seal.  They need to hang into the crankcase to support the piston at BDC.

Now I offset bore the blocks to gain clearance for large bore diamters. The flange hangs slightly into the original head bolt holes but it gets clearanced a bit. I do not want to leave a straight wall liner and seat in the bottom counterbore for strength purposes. I want that flange on top of the sleve to hold the liner in place, and by pinning the bottom of the liner I now help tie the block deck down.   Now I do not need much of a flange.  I have a slight undercut radius (to allow clearance for the radius) under the flange to the barrel, an undercut radius is stronger than a square cut.  There's still .100 of material for the flange to seat on all the way around.  .100 is plenty and would likely be fine on less than half that. 

I leave the flange .300 tall and I cut the counterbore in the block .200 so the liner stands up .100, giveing me something to press against when we assemble a block. 

By the way Mack, that pressure plate is just a junk one for measureing purposes, I was out to Atlas Tractor last week to pick up our clutch but it wasn't quite done.  Waiting on the pressure plate and floaters.   But at least I have enough now that can set my tower height and figure out my finger to crankshaft flange distance, figure my crank flange to throw out berring dimension and the depth of the clutch can.  Now I can machine an adapter plate of the right dimensions to get the clutch can on the superstock engine and the complete package in the component chassis.

Yes Aaron, the last POS stayed togather for a long time, still going strong, some idiot has been worried about it since I posted some pictures of it a year agoe, though it was built 10 years agoe.  Sure was nice when I didn't know how to post pictures.

Edited by wi50 - 01 Jan 2012 at 8:46pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 9:03pm

I like your style you going to run a little g226 engine in 500 ci superstock class? I bet that will be a barn sitter

Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

I like your style you going to run a little g226 engine in 500 ci superstock class? I bet that will be a barn sitter

Are you really that stupid or are you acting stupid?  Either way go and read the first post in this thread and you would understand that WI is also building a superstock as he makes mention of it and not knowing if he will have time to finish this Allis engine.

I know you seen pictures of the chassis and other parts of it as you are his stalker.  You told Aaron to get a life.  YOU need to get a life.
mark vaughn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark vaughn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 11:01pm
wi50       I have built lots of racing engines in my time and i know nothing about tractor pulling engines   but what im seeing here is really great mechanical performance knowledge. I call it WORK OF ART.    Keep posting.      Mark
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 7:26am
Why not.  Young Blood has won 5 NTPA championships in a row with a 426 in a class that probably allows over 600.  But what do I know...I need to get a life:)
AaronSEIA
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 5:51pm
Wow, this is great! Keep us posted!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:19pm
Prince Vallium to the rescue please! It looks like great work to me, you boys need to settle down a little, remember, we all love Allis or we wouldnt be on this site. Lets take it easy on each other, just an idea, please dont jump down my throat, Trev.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 8:33am
Any updates? 
It's too bad some nit wit has to get excited every time you share your projects.  Keep up the good work.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:55am
I got the liners installed in the block, the billet cam blank made, and have been working on a rev kit to hold roller lifters in place but have been too busy with other projects to do much on this allis engine for a while.  

I'll snap a few pictures on my phone sometime and post up of those items.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 8:38am
What diameter roller keyed lifter you planning on using ?
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:42am
The lifters are not keyed, but held in place by another method.  The whole trick is finding a lifter of correct useable length and haveing the base circle of the cam keep it in the correct operating zone.  It's quite simple once you see it.  I should get time to finish it shortly and then I'll show a few pictures.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:05am

lifter cant spin in the lifter bore if it does so much for the roller. mushroom lifter is about 1.5 inches in diameter when you go to the roller you will be smaller say a .800 wheel . have you figured how much more duration it will require to open the valve at the same speed as the mushroom lifter ?

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 11:54am
I was navigating a rather large vessel through a rather small channel once, and noticed a towboat operator doing something that I thought was very, very strange.  I asked my dad what the other pilot was doing.  My dad's reply was a piece of wisdom I'll never forget:

"I don't know, but he is obviously aware of some aspect of his situation, that you're not".

Which translated to everyday life, means that when one ventures to open his mouth very wide about how another individual chooses to address their own challenges, he runs a substantial risk of finding his own shoe in it.

After seeing WI50's work, I'm thinkin' he knows a whole heckuvalot more about what he's doing, than anyone else does... and I applaud his work- very, very nice.  The engineering, forethought, and workmanship of anybody's project, is a testament to dedication and vision- the stuff that turns the ether of dreams, into reality.  I appreciate seeing things like this posted, but guarantee that if I could be there for the "It's Alive!" moment occurs, I certainly would!  There's no treat like feeling sound and fury!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic