This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? 4-14 plowing, 4th bottom not going deep enough??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? 4-14 plowing, 4th bottom not going deep enough??
    Posted: 14 May 2011 at 10:57am
Clay is clay-----no-till or not.  I still remember one summer when we were testing the Mono-Frame plows south of Milwaukee.  Lots of clay and a hot dry summer lead to it being very difficult to even get the heavy 3000 series plows into the ground--------let alone having the traction to pull it if it got into the ground.  We had D-21's weighted to 24,000 lbs to do it.  And that was before no-till or minimum tillage had caught on.

I do agree that no-till and min-till practices for heavy clay soils aren't a good idea.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
Sponsored Links

TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:45am
That hard ground is what no-til and today's heavy equipment does for you.  You try no-tilling clay and you will have problems.  Where all the college boys do their chemical company financed research is in sandy loam around the Ag colleges, in that soil compaction is rarely a problem.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:17am

Assuming that the traction booster isnt lifting the plow and the plow is reasonably level side to side another thing that commonly causes that is worn out shares. As they wear a person has to keep shortening the beaming srew to compansate and depending on how hard the ground is at some point it pushes the plow out of the ground rear end first. Fully 75% of the plowing troubles I see with SC plows is worn shares and landsides but people wear the adjustments out trying to make them work anyway. Another 10% is caused by the adjuments and the rest of the time todays ground is so damn hard those old plows will never turn it correctly.

Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 10:27pm
It sounds to me like you need to level your plow. On the first pass you want your lift linkage level. Once you are in the furrow you need to lower the left side (as your sitting in the seat looking foreward).
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 10:08pm
On my 45, I just pull the handle down past the stop for the first pass. Did it today trying to plow the garden and think I went about 12 inches deep.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Teddy (punchie) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy (punchie) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 5:34pm
I'm having trouble getting the 4th bottom into the ground, only going about 4-5 inches. This is it just the first pass, do I have to wait for the second pass? Is the snap coupler hitch too long? Do I need to readjust one of the adjustments? If so witch ones? landside heel, snap cuopler right side, or the center adjustment.  Thanks !!
Ac D-19, a Number of WD's, One WD45, Two 444 balers, Ac plows and etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic