This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B hot start problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B hot start problem
    Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 1:59pm
I have what has become a recurring problem with my B. While it starts and runs like a top, if I stop and shut it off once it warms up I can't depend on it restarting. I have replaced the magneto coil and condenser which is the suspect for this problem. Incidently I replaced the condenser again about 3 months ago due to to this problem. I would like to try a reliable condenser that doesn't come through the Pacific Rim. Any suggestions on the best brand and part# would be appreciated for a reliable condenser.
Joe
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 6:51pm
I think your going to find that 99% of the condensers are made in China... Best just to keep a couple spares around.. I dont know anyone that advertises "usa made" on the condensers..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LittleB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 12:49pm
I guess I'll just stock up on condensers then. Are there any good brands from China. 
Joe
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 12:52pm
you might feel better if you bought from a Reputable supplier instead of just some random guy on e-bay.... But thats not guarantee you get a better condenser... But you HOPE the Vendor has done his homework and MIGHT be buying a better product.

Steve at B&B is our local "electrical guy" when it comes to distributors  / mags/ generators and starters..

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Jun 2023 at 12:58pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 1:14pm
Its ALL chimna crap now days and about 2/3'rds of them are bad out of the box, so you be the judge!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 1:42pm
Blue Streak from Napa comes highly recommended. I have not used them but will when I need new parts. I bought from a reputable dealer and had some problems with ignition parts. Talked to him and he said it is a problem. He replaced my parts. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 5:17pm
Put a pertronix unit on it, and never have to change P&C again...Wink

And, unless kalifornia is a foreign country (?) they're 'Merican!WinkWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
LittleB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 5:32pm
I would jump at the opportunity to install a pertronix, but my B fires off a magneto.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 6:43am
Old timers will tell you that is not uncommon. There is a valve on the manifold that is used to help that problem. The solution was to leave the engine running with the clutch locked open. I put electric start on all my tractors and power units.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
John426 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 7:36am
Where is this valve on the manifold? I don't have that.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 8:34am
john... 99% of the manifolds do not have the vavle.. Older manifolds had a pipe plug where a valve could be installed.. Newer manifolds have a flat boss where the hole use to be, but most are no longer drilled and tapped.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 8:48am
For anything electrical, the only place I go is www.brillman.com ; . When I do get something with magneto problems I have them TOTALLY rebuild it.  Often there are more things wrong that are age related than just a condenser. Age can weaken the magnets and doing a shade tree rebuild won't cure that. Coils also suffer from old age and heat kills them. You can keep doing it yourself and have endless problems, or have it professionally done right and tested with a guarantee and it will outlast you. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 8:17pm
We're a Standard Blue Streak dealer. Been a dealer since 68'. So far, we haven't had any problems that I know of with SMP. Even though their made in Mexico, I'm thinkin' it gotta' be better than China. So far, we're been doin' alright with our tune up parts....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
LittleB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 7:37am
I will denifatly going the Blue Streak route. The suggested reliability far outwieghs my concerns in the China product. 
Now concerning the post regarding the valve in the manifold, I am baffled in how this aided the hot restarts.

mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 11:18am
https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/vaccuum-thing-on-a-b-manifold_topic40213.html Check this link out. May or may not answer your question. I have one B with the valve another without. The engine with it is from a power unit and is electric start. Wish it was on the crank start.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
LittleB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 11:59am
Okay, I understand now the makeup of this valve and it's purpose. I even experienced milking the herd during power failures using the vacuum valve on our Fordson Major in my younger days. I just didn't know its dual purpose.
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 1:06pm
The Why.

The ethanol fuel is boiling in the carb when sitting causing an overly rich condition. The intake manifold valve being opened for hot starts helps the engine start easier/less cranking.

Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

Old timers will tell you that is not uncommon. There is a valve on the manifold that is used to help that problem. The solution was to leave the engine running with the clutch locked open. I put electric start on all my tractors and power units.

Our B was always hard to start once it quit after it had been working a while.  We always commented that the B was telling us it was time to take a break and go sit under a tree a while and have some cold lemonade.
John426 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 2:58pm
later this valve was removed. The hot start problem is gone. Probably no more vapor lock.
What improvements have been implemented to solve the problem?
Carburetor? Manifold?  Engine?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 3:09pm
What changed is a NEW coil, NEW condenser, NEW point..... Something was getting HOT and breaking down electrically... The VALVE was not the fix... it was there for other reason to produce a vacuum source. .... i have several B tractors and they all start when HOT... Just have to have good electrical system... and they are all electric start.. start on 1-2 revolutions of the motor.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 6:19pm

... I put electric start on all my tractors and power units.

Please tell me more, I have a Model C-type power unit (currently on a 60 combine) that is hand-crank only. Is there an electric start option?

My Model C tractor doesn't like to start hot unless the throttle is nearly closed, one notch above minimum idle and it starts instantly.

Edited by Les Kerf - 05 Jun 2023 at 6:36pm
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Les Kerf Les Kerf wrote:

... I put electric start on all my tractors and power units.

Please tell me more, I have a Model C-type power unit (currently on a 60 combine) that is hand-crank only. Is there an electric start option?

My Model C tractor doesn't like to start hot unless the throttle is nearly closed, one notch above minimum idle and it starts instantly.
There was an electric start option. Look at my website for pictures of my combine, roto baler, and long hopper blower. All are electric start. lonsallischalmers.com
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:06am
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 10:13am

...There was an electric start option. Look at my website for pictures of my combine, roto baler, and long hopper blower. All are electric start. lonsallischalmers.com

Thank you for the link and the wonderful pictures on your website Smile

I was unable to see the actual starter locations even when zoomed in on the photos; was there a different bell housing/PTO adapter for these units? Mine doesn't seem to have any place to install a starter.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 11:52am
A different Bell housing is needed to allow a starter.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 2:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic