This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190XT Low Voltage / Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 8:27am
I started looking at the existing wiring and the manifold heater is connected to the voltage regulator below the dash.  With a 3 wire I don't need the voltage regulator but does the manifold heater need it?   If I remove the external voltage regulator, how should i connect up the manifold heater?

Also, if I replace the key switch, don't I have to connect that to the manifold heater?   I have a new key switch but it is different than the old one.

By the way, my manifold heater doesn't work.  I think it is because the last guy decided to rewire with the 12SI alternator and didn't hook up the manifold heater correctly.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Sponsored Links

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 8:42am
Your manifold heater gets power from the relay/solenoid between the back of the engine and your steering pedestal. Your positive battery cable should hook to one side of it on its way to the starter. The small wire from your switch is only the trigger wire to that relay to make it work. You could jump 12 volts from any where to that solenoid to see if the heater works.
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:57am
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

Your manifold heater gets power from the relay/solenoid between the back of the engine and your steering pedestal. Your positive battery cable should hook to one side of it on its way to the starter. The small wire from your switch is only the trigger wire to that relay to make it work. You could jump 12 volts from any where to that solenoid to see if the heater works.

OK.  Thanks.  I will try to debug that manifold heater and get it to work in this rewiring process.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 7:30am
Give me a call at the shop. I'd be happy to walk you through anything or answer any questions you have. I can also fix you up with the correct parts needed to do the job...
Steve@B&B
(973) 632-5596
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 9:57pm
Steve in NJ, didn't see your post until now. Good news is that I wired things up as you indicated about 4 hours ago and I have everything working.

Getting 14 volts from the alternator. Multimeter is showing 14 volts at the battery with engine running at 2000rpms. Voltmeter is showing 14 volts too. So I am now charging my batteries. Ironically, I don't think my alternator has been working for a year or more. I put battery charger on over winter so that probably kept them going.

Steve in ill thanks for your diagrams and help!

Now going to have to figure out the manifold heater. My Wilson 3 wire 12si is 83 amps and I reused my pulley since it lined up with my belt. I will try my lights to see the difference tomorrow.

Thanks to all that have helped me be an amateur electrician!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic