This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dodge duellie?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dodge duellie?
    Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:48pm
Son has a 2009 or 2008 dodge dually with 4 door cab, 8' bed, etc.  The question is here, before any repairs are done.  He has a lug nut, between the rims, a inner wheel nut is rounded off, not good!  I said to get a hole saw, no arbor, use garden hose, et. to shim it to the correct outer casting dia., drill the nut loose, chisel, and hope for the best???? I have not seen it, this just from what he told me.  Any input will be appreciated.  
Thank You in advance!

Opps forgot to say the does have a wheel spacer, not sure how wide.  He did buy a new set of Bora ( sp. ) spacers just if neede.

Edited by Dave in PA - 21 Mar 2023 at 3:51pm
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:51pm
Several types of goodies discussed and compared in this video:

Not discussed is what I used, a Torque multiplier, on my isuzu npr truck. And the nut wasn't rounded. And it's a big un, 40MM. Problem with duallie nuts is lack of space to work in, and its where 4-5 pieces of metal come together, so there is always corrosion there!

When you finally do get 'em free, never-seize is your friend!
PS, Cremo's tools in York is where I got the TM...Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:43pm
I guess you are saying there is a SPACER block bolted to the ORIGINAL STUDS and then the duals bolt to the spacer block... The NUTS on the SPACER block are counter sunk and one is rounded off ?? 

I think i would center punch the nut between the stud and the outer flat.. then drill a 1/4 inch hole into the nut to make it thin on the threads and flat... then drive a punch into the hole and split the nut..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:48pm
WHY, just WHY would anyone of sound intelligence install spacers on a Dual Wheel Hub.

Been a Mechanic since 75, Seen this More Than Once and every time is a Flaming Mess.  Besides is excessively hard on Hub Bearings.  Guys add spacers to install Wider Tires, just not good, Duals are fine as is OE Sizing.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:43pm
Stupidity reigns supreme in this country! Up here I see guys with their wheels offset 4-5 inches outside the body. Not sure what kind of stupidity that takes. Stress wheel bearings and have the whole entire vehicle covered with mud and road grit as well as all around you on a multi lane hi way. On a dually if you have anything other than stock configuration you are looking for major problems and a wheel off especially if carrying large loads. But who cares if you kill someone trying to look cool!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:52pm
They make special sockets just for this. Most towing companies have them in their tool set for doing tire changes. Look like an inside out easy out.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 11:38pm
It sounds like has been a single rear wheel truck converted to a duallie. We did several while we owned the tire shop. Take the other 7 lug nuts off and everything may slide off. Good luck with it.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Stupidity reigns supreme in this country! Up here I see guys with their wheels offset 4-5 inches outside the body. Not sure what kind of stupidity that takes. Stress wheel bearings and have the whole entire vehicle covered with mud and road grit as well as all around you on a multi lane hi way. On a dually if you have anything other than stock configuration you are looking for major problems and a wheel off especially if carrying large loads. But who cares if you kill someone trying to look cool!
And tires the size of o-rings on those chrome rims.  Very useful on the farm.  
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:46pm
To clear the air here, yes, it is a factory dually. Dodge 4x4 or is that 2x4, 4x6?  Front wheels can spin under power as well!!!!  4 door, 8' bed, diesel, with I believe the 6 speed manual tranny.  The factory anti-stolen theft protection around here.  No one can drive a standard tranny with a 3rd petal!  He bought it with the wheel spacers installed, sorta the reason to get the wheel off!!!! And as far as stupidity, I am to believe it is everywhere, in every county.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:55pm
Dave, could you drill a hole in the nut between the stud and the flat .. and make it big enough to almost touch the thread and flat... then drive a punch or chisel in to spread it out ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Mar 2023 at 1:56pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 2:29am
Could you get to it and beat a smaller metric socket on it if its SAE and using a long breaker bar get it loose that way. Worst case is if you decide to drill and you happen to hit the threads you need to replace the stud but might want to do that anyhow. Best of luck to ya. Just got to talk to it
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 6:34am
? Is there any room to weld a nut onto the bolt, from the inside of the nut of course, let cool then 'burb' once, remove the *&%%&**** bolt ???

When removed, tie string to it and hang from rear view mirror with a note saying 'dad got this off for you'
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:44am
Jay your going the wrong Wink way as I understand Confused it. But I have been wrong before. It is the nut they need off . You weld on the nut it expands like you want, but will cool quick, and be even tighter. So if the first try doesn't get it your now worse off.

Now broke off cap screws Thumbs Up I will weld flat washers and nuts on all day before drilling them anymore. Because each time you weld and heat the broken part it expands and then cooling contracts it breaking the rust bond. Thing like cast iron radiator tanks I have had to weld 6 or 8 nuts on the worst. BUT THEY ALL CAME OUT and the threads were still good.

And Steve were have you been my whole life.  That sound good to drill and expand the hole. I have been involved with using a chisel to cut a nut. But why has no one I work with know of drilling to weaken the nut.

Again never to old to learn. 

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:43am
hmm, maybe after it cools, you can reheat and then 'burp' it off ?
a picture would be nice, just to SEE
worst case ...'torch' the nut and stud,yank off spacer, replace stud ??
a good cold chisel will destroy the nut for sure, and mangle the stud....

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 8:47am
Just go to the store and buy a locking lug nut removal tool. It looks like a socket the inside is a left handed cone shaped thread. Put it on the rounded nut and hit it with your impact it will screw its self down on the nut till it takes the nut off you must use an impact. To get the nut out you'll need to clamp it in the vise or put it on a stud in the vise and impact it back off they come in several sizes. Our Oriellys had them instock I think it was $20 makes taking a mangled nut off into a 20 sec job. It will mangle the nut. I've use mine a couple times and don't know how I got along without it. The first time I used it I had a rough time trying to take the nut out. The only way is hold it and impact in tighten moved and it'll screw it self off so fast.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 24 Mar 2023 at 8:58am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:17am
I'm really wanting to see a picture of 'sucess'.....

dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 10:37pm
cut one side of nut off with a cut off wheel' will come wright off; did one the other day on a bad trailer stud.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 6:22am
I think the real PITA part is that the nut is recessed into the wheel spacer, limits what options one has to get the &^^$^%&(& nut off
 If (IF ) you've got good drill bits., could drill holes in 2 adjacent points of the nut, then use a sharp chisel to break off that section of nut, that should free up some space to chisel off 2 more 'flats' ?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic