This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question on D17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on D17
    Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 9:14am
A friend called me was wanting to add double remotes to a early series D17 with a single remote can someone tell us what we need to do and if this is doable
The tractor has a flywheel on the torque housing also. I haven’t been around a D series since I was a tiny fella in the early ‘70s
Sponsored Links

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 10:59am
If I understand, you want to use your D17 on a 2-way cylinder correct?

Im in the middle of this same project myself

Edited by Allis dave - 13 Mar 2023 at 11:00am
Tenn allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 11:15am
Yes that is correct
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 12:21pm
I can send you a picture when I'm done.
If the D17 has a transport valve you're almost there. The transport valve has a pressure and return line. 

Get yourself a 2-way hydraulic valce wiht about 2000PSI relief. Feed it from the standard remote. Put a T into the return line and plump that into the valve return.

A D17 has a high pressure (3000PSI+) low volume system. So this setup will get you 2 way hydraulics, buy they will be much slower than a standard low pressure high volume tractor.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 12:39pm
your NEW hydraulic valve should be OPEN CENTER so that the pump can recirc back to the tank ( case ) when not feeding the cylinder UP or DOWN...

Dave, i assume you put your FACTORY valve held OPEN position and feed constant flow to your NEW valve, and use it only ?   something like this ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Mar 2023 at 12:47pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 3:34pm
Thanks for the info
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 12:35pm
Thats how I have it Steve. The  hydraulic lever on the quadrant would need to be up all the time to keep supplying oil to the new valve.

My "New valve" is actually an original Allis valve off an old d17 wiht this option. 
My setup will be like original, but an aftermarket open center center valve would be the same.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 8:54am
Picture of my valve installed as promised. Original Allis valve and bracket.
Thanks to Lonn for the valve and Orange Knight for the bracket, transport valve, and return line!

Edited by Allis dave - 28 Mar 2023 at 8:56am
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 10:02am
Not sure I would hose clamps for that much pressure.

OOPSY,  that line is the return line.  Me bad.Big smile

Edited by Clay - 28 Mar 2023 at 5:03pm
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 10:45am
That is the return 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 10:46am
Is the clamps I’m sure on the nonpressured return line
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 11:42am
I have the factory set up but there is still pressure on the booster gauge. I checked the lines for damage and checked the valve to insure it is open center. I would think there should be no pressure when the valve is centered. Is this normal to have pressure? It has a transport valve.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:51pm
There is a fair amount of work to do and at the end of the day the low volume system means your cylinders will move very slowly.  You will also not have any hydraulics when you have your foot on the clutch.

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 6:36pm
I just finished the plumbing this weekend. My disc is in the middle of what looks like a pond so I haven't actually tried it on a cylinder.  I'll have to look at the Traction boost gauge when I start it next time. I put a gauge on both remotes and only got 900PSI. I wanted 1500 so I'll have to pull the valve apart some time, but it'll work for now. Mostly I wanted it to hook to our tandom rake hitch. Hydraulics just swing the hitch soo 900 should be fine for that.

I has having trouble trying to figure out a return line. It was too close to make a hydraulic line and I didn't want to mess with trying to bend a 3/8 or 1/2 steel tube only 5" long. So i finally decided some fuel line with hose clamps might work easy enough.

Replaced the worn seat bushings and spring to while I was working on it. I don't bottom out now on every bump! Sure rides nice. 

Edited by Allis dave - 28 Mar 2023 at 6:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic