This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Milling vise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 9:27am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

ย  Hey Dave Kamp, many Thanks for ID'ing this brute for us,,,,I felt it was a quality piece as it is well built and has lasted an awful long time and has had very little use. I did not show very good pics as both jaws are almost cherry (whoops, can we say that here?) The only'ist thing I can throw sticks at is the operator must of been far sighted as they did drill thru the work a few times and into the btm of frame but not near enough to affect it's effectiveness or longivity,, If I can bail out of bed this pm I;m go to post office and see bout a flat rate box for this brute,,,,,

One of my old drill presses has holes all over the table. I need to try this.
I bought my first drill press in 1994. I was fairly young then some years later I bought a drill press vise. Neither of them have one single hole drilled in them.
My other drill press I bought used with no Motor. The table on it was full of holes.
Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

joe ... since the holes are a VISUAL problem and not a STRENGTH problem, you can clean out the holes with a burr and fill them with JB weld and sand smooth.. I have done that and it helps the LOOKS 100%... and the JB is about the same color as sandblasted steel.

I've done that... and I've had machines with holes drilled elsewhere that I didn't want, and I fixed 'em in other ways... like... find an appropriate sized tap, tap it for threads, red-loctite thread in a screw, saw it off 1/8" proud, then give it a quick 'kiss' with 4" grinder and flapdisk... then paint! ;-)

Battle scars happen, particularly with vises.  It's like...  us... as we work, we wind up with cuts and bruises, scrapes and scars... missing toes, chipped teeth...  but unlike machines, we can't be carefully worked back into pristine condition, we're just condemned to be ugly curmudgeons overweight with experience, and shops full'a tools we never use, right? LOL
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:23pm

HMMmmmm,,,, Dave Kamp and Steve,,,,,y'll are giving me some ideas , you are,,,,!!

Edited by desertjoe - 01 Feb 2023 at 8:24pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:27pm
most of your "HOLES" see to be on the top of the movable jaw  !!  You can fill them, then PAINT and no one will know... Normally the holes are between the jaws in the frame rails... that area is not painted, but the JB fills in well.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 10:43pm

Hey Steve,,you and ole Dave gave me some great ideas,,,,ole Thad ain't gonna recognize this vice when he opens the box,,,,,,WinkWinkLOL

And,,and,,,he gonna be ready to fight someone that wants to borry it,,,,,Wink

Edited by desertjoe - 01 Feb 2023 at 10:45pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 6:17pm
Hey, Old Tony just posted another great, and fun video:

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 11:35pm
  Well,, you guys take a gander at this tool and tell me if ole Thad might like it now,,,,,? Just goes to say,,,a little amount of elbow grease will do wonders with good quality tools that have suffered some abuse,,,,.
 That JB Weld will work wonders and will also hide a multitude of sin.,,,,WinkWink
 Only'isr thing is now to figure how to get this heavy sob into Thad's hands,,,,just weighs 53 pounds,,!! Don't believe I'm gonna send USPS,,,,LOL

CHIT,,can't get it tp load the pics,,,chit,,!!

Edited by desertjoe - 13 Feb 2023 at 11:43pm
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 4:28am
Text me the pics. Iโ€™ve learned how to load them from my IPhone.
You could always haul it up here. Iโ€™d even take you to lunch at Sauced.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 4:59am
Learned years ago to
Situate spacers under the worked piece, a scrap of leftover steel or aluminum even wood or plastic, sacrificial just to prevent holes in sensitive tables or equipment.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 12:12pm
 OK, Gents I been doing an fbi on all the 
how to's on the web and since I have a new IPhone 14 Plus,,,it IS different than my old IPhone 8 and takes a somewhat different method to transfer pics from IPhone to PC,,BUT, BUT,,,"NOT" to transfer to the ICloud as I do not like the idea of having my pics on that cloud because it establishes a "line" from it to your PC, ,,,. SO, I wanted my pics to stay on my hard drive where I can then transfer to my External hard drive at my leisureClap

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 12:16pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 12:17pm

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 12:39pm
Appears an old Milton
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 12:48pm
WOW......... thats PURDY !!  Clap
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 3:37am
Wow that looks too good to use.
Purdy.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 5:46am
 Well, I Thank yee, Guys,,,!! That JB Weld is super great stuff ain't it?,,Clap Don't have an idee how old this tool  is but the ways are perfect  and just as tight as a youn,,,,er,,,never mind!!Wink  You can spin the jaw handle with one finger just as slick as,,,,well,,there I go again,,,,LOL It does have a tiny lube hole for the jaw screw and wonder if there was ever a oil chingas there? I may try to machine a press fit plastic plug or maybe brass to keep trash out of that spot,,,?
 The weight of this thing is really impressing me cause you DO NOT want to have to move this behemoth more than once a year,,, 56 Lbs of heavy iron!! Now,, getting it to ole Thad is next challenge,,,,,Clap
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 7:14am
Nice cleanup, Joe!

In a typical shop, a guy would put a drop or two of way oil (like Vactra) in that lube point, and a little on it's ways and leadscrew... mebbie every time or two that they oiled any nearby machine's manual lube points.  They'd also put a little on any nearby chucks and tooling... then move on to the next work bay.  One of my (now long passed) buddies started at IH as the 'oil cart' guy- he pulled a wagon with a barrel and hand pump, refilling oil cans and topping the Bijur automatics' reservoirs... once a day, from one end of the wing, to the other, and back.  Guys on the line would stop the machine between parts just long enough for him to get in there...
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 6:55pm
 Well,,,seeing as I gots Dave Kamp's stamp of approval along with everybody else's,,,I'm OKAY,,,,!!! Hey Dave K,,,  Now that I'm done,,,do I get any of that money back,,,,๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 9:12pm

Well,,,seeing as I gots Dave Kamp's stamp of approval along with everybody else's,,,I'm OKAY,,,,!!! Hey Dave K,,,  Now that I'm done,,,do I get any of that money back,,,,๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Well, I think three orders of JB Weld might still be more expensive than a dozen eggs... LOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 10:07pm
   Well,,talking about them EGGS,,,my chickies is still out on strike and not laying yet,,,so I had to go to Walmart to get some eggs,,,,,,,and,,,,I started to think them must be selling golden eggs,,,!!  finally picked out some extra small eggs and they was $7.49 a dozen,,,!!!  I know them chickies is going to hear from me in the morning,,,,,you just wait,,,,,,,

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 4:08am
Joe where do you get your feed?
A friend was getting feed someplace (TSC) I believe but canโ€™t remember? Changed feed and they soon started laying.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 11:50am
Had a friend that put a light on his chickens and they started laying

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 10:17pm
Our new flock started laying about three weeks ago.  First we got one... then two... then four...

Yesterday we got 14 eggs.  Today we got 15.  There's only 16 birds...

I turn on the inside light (with a remote control) at 6:15am, and turn it off at 10pm.  Watering trough runs 24/7, so always fresh (and not frozen) water.  I keep the food bin stocked.  We go in to check the hens, turn on the big overhead light, and fill the food bin around 7:15am, and check for eggs when we get home around 5:30... I add to the food bin then, and turn off the big light... but leave the light inside the pen on 'till 10.

It's been around 34F in there for the last two days, but it was up to almost 55 several days ago.  It'll be down to 11F outside by 7am tomorrow, mid '20's Friday night, and get above freezing by 9:30am Saturday, should stay above freezing save for a slight dip below each night 'till THursday next.  Considering how they've done so far, I don't expect the upcoming variation to have any impact on egg production...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic