This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Milling vise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Milling vise
    Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 11:46am
Anybody have an opinion?
I’m looking at old used American used Kurt $$$ and imports.
I’ve found what I believe to be an old Brown & Sharpe 6” In very good shape for a good price but with ups on top of that. It weighs 65 lbs
I’m looking at a Used Kurt 6” at a good price but $126.00 freight
And cheap imports with free shipping.
I’m also within driving distance of Grizzly.

Edited by Thad in AR. - 30 Jan 2023 at 11:56am
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 12:42pm
My mill has had a cheap 6 inch China drill press vice on it for 25 years.. Problem i have had is the DEPTH of the jaws, only about an inch, and slop in the movable jaw.... I recently ran across a 6 inch MILL vise that has jaws about 1.5 - 2 inches deep... 6 inch wide, 6 inch opening...

Dont have x-y movement or rotation.. Just bolts straight to the table.. Dont need the x-y movement since the mill does that .... Even tho this is China built, it has good quality. The movable jaw slides on a 3/4 inch rod below the clamp and acme thread screw.. Keeps everything in good alignment as compared to the old drill vice that had a lot of SLOP in the movable jaw ... I think you would be happy with any of the vices as long as the sliding jaw has a good alignment design.

Edited by steve(ill) - 30 Jan 2023 at 12:44pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 12:49pm
The vise i have now is similar to this picture, but mine is 6 inch... look at the alignment rod below the threaded shaft... The sliding jaw rides on that.  I think that is important .

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 1:24pm
The sad thing is I have an old X-Y vice here,gut wrencher to lift...you could have IF there wasn't a 'northern' boarder....

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:07pm
I have one of those China x y sliding vise on one of my drill presses.
It has a lot of movement as well.
I’ve found an old Brown & Sharpe mill vise for a good price I think I’ll buy?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:11pm
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 3:23pm
I've used both Kurt and B&S vices. Used a lot of Kurts. They're pretty hard to beat. They have a set screw right above the vice screw that let's you tighten the movable side and take some of the rock out of that side. Used to use an "off" brand called Parlec. Made very similar to a Kurt but were a little cheaper. Never had problems with accuracy. Had a little issue with repeatability if you weren't paying attention but they worked fine.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:32pm
On a milling machine , I would only use Kurt or Parlec vises. The older vises are okay for hobby, but can't compete with the newer stuff. I bought 3 china copies years ago, POS , won't repeat for , every one of them is different height.Gave them away! I would rather live close to someone that owned a vise than have a China knockoff! JMHO, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:40pm
Hey Thad,,,hold up the train of thought on the milling vise,,,I think I may have what you can use,,,lemme take a pic tamarrow and see what you think.,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 3:37am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Thad,,,hold up the train of thought on the milling vise,,,I think I may have what you can use,,,lemme take a pic tamarrow and see what you think.,,,

You’re gonna be needing one soon yourself.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:59am
Kurt is top shelf new they are in the $800 range for a 6 inch mill vice .   Depends how accurate you want our work to  be and as mentioned before repeteability if you are doing 100 parts of somthing and need a feature in the same place.  The old B&S I'm sure was a good vise in its day but i bet you will have a "lifting" issue when clamping a part. I have  a B&S vise on my shaper but it is only a hobby machine and I am aware of the issue.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 6:09am
Originally posted by B26240 B26240 wrote:

Kurt is top shelf new they are in the $800 range for a 6 inch mill vice .   Depends how accurate you want our work to  be and as mentioned before repeteability if you are doing 100 parts of somthing and need a feature in the same place.  The old B&S I'm sure was a good vise in its day but i bet you will have a "lifting" issue when clamping a part. I have  a B&S vise on my shaper but it is only a hobby machine and I am aware of the issue.

I think you’re correct. An old vise that was good but been used for 50 years probably has some serious wear.
Still hard to put an $800 vise on a mill for home use.
I’m watching a very nice Kurt for sale used. It appears very nice.
Then I read about people tagging Knockoffs an the good stuff and get nervous.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 2:16pm

Hey Thad,,here is the vise I mentioned for that behemoth you gots,,,lol. It is a "no Name" as the only'ist thing I find is "No 3" cast on top of vise. It is 6" X 20" with the jaws at 4" X 2" high and in great conditions with travel of 4", The ways are in great conditions and tool os very "TIGHT"  The drive screw is tight as well. The only'ist thing I see is the PO couldn't tell when he drilled thru the work and drilled into the base,,,but don't hurt a thing. 
 Having trouble posting pics as tried several times but  don't see the green tree icon ,,,,?  WTH,,,??
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 2:21pm

Hey Thad,,here is the vise I mentioned for that behemoth you gots,,,lol. It is a "no Name" as the only'ist thing I find is "No 3" cast on top of vise. It is 6" X 20" with the jaws at 4" X 2" high and in great conditions with travel of 4", The ways are in great conditions and tool os very "TIGHT"  The drive screw is tight as well. The only'ist thing I see is the PO couldn't tell when he drilled thru the work and drilled into the base,,,but don't hurt a thing. 
 Having trouble posting pics as tried several times but  don't see the green tree icon ,,,,?  WTH,,,??
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 2:22pm

Check out the scale on the weight of this brute,,,,,,!! Don't fret yourself none,,the vise I got with that mill arrangement 3 months ago has an almost new Kurt  6" X 16" on a swivel base on a 6" X 24" new Vevor table,,,I had to use a come-a-long to remove it from table it was soo dang heavy!! Don' got to worry bout any thieves running off with it,,,LOL....

Hopefully someone here will be able to ID this brute for us,,,ClapClap

Edited by desertjoe - 31 Jan 2023 at 2:35pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 3:17pm
poor thing looks like it was on the moon for a few years ! Did it happen to 'walk out' of Area51 by any chance ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

poor thing looks like it was on the moon for a few years ! Did it happen to 'walk out' of Area51 by any chance ??

You should see some of the ones on EBay.
They’d make this look like new.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:49pm
there is a difference between OLD - ANTIQUE - PRICELESS , and Junk  Wink

all depends on who has it and who wants it !  Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

there is a difference between OLD - ANTIQUE - PRICELESS , and Junk  Wink

all depends on who has it and who wants it !  Clap

That’s for sure
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 7:43pm

Well, Thad,,don't fret none, This one IS Old, antique and maybe even priceless,,,,them two are just jealous,,,,,⬇⬇
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:36pm
HEA... im on your side JOe... Looks ANTIQUE and PRICELESS to me !!  Wink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:43pm
  Thank you, Steve,,I just been way down in the weather and THEN some!!! don't mind me,,I'll be back to normal soon, (I Hope)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:51pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 9:39pm
That is a Brown & Sharpe #3 FLANGED milling vise...
The handle was made from a broken-off JH Williams vise.

It's a quality vise... notice- two guide slots, and an oil lubricator point.

If you disassemble and clean the B&S, stone off any protruding nicks from the travelling slots, clean up and oil or replace the leadscrew bushings, refit the pieces to proper clearance, and replace the jaws, you'll have AT LEAST the equivalent precision and grip of anything new.  If you make it extra-snug, you'll beat it.

LIFT up is a result of the movable jaw fitment being too loose.  Insufficient grip is either from same, or having loose or worn out jaws.

The biggest failure of any milling vise, is caused not by the vise, but by the operation.  Always cut into the NON-MOVABLE jaw... not across the work laterally, not into the movable... that's where the vise's best strength is.

Second failure, is blaming the vise, when there's unsecured non-used axis... if you're making cuts, any unused axis will react, and even a slight movement will cause the cutter to 'hog in' or deflect, even break... or if it doesn't, it'll leave you with a wierd cut.

I've got several Kurts, several B&S, some smaller British vise (it IS nice) and a Kearney&Trecker that is about 10" x 10", and weighs around 130lbs.  Generally speaking, a strong vise can be measured by how well it holds things to the ground... ;-)
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 4:03am

Well, Thad,,don't fret none, This one IS Old, antique and maybe even priceless,,,,them two are just jealous,,,,,⬇⬇

Joe the only thing I’m fretting is how to get that big hunk of steel to Arkansas? And and and neither of us drop that on out toe.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 6:41am
Looks like Joe has a dang good old vice to me.  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I think so too.
I’d sure like to make it to where he doesn’t have to move that around anymore. Cept one more time
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

THANK YOU, TBone!!!!
I felt like it was as I bought it at an estate sale of an old Blacksmith in The Alien Town bout a year ago,,,,,I was too late at the Estate sale for any of his other stuff,,,mainly cause No one else could carry this heavy sob out the door,,,,!!!LOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 9:16am
  Hey Dave Kamp, many Thanks for ID'ing this brute for us,,,,I felt it was a quality piece as it is well built and has lasted an awful long time and has had very little use. I did not show very good pics as both jaws are almost cherry (whoops, can we say that here?) The only'ist thing I can throw sticks at is the operator must of been far sighted as they did drill thru the work a few times and into the btm of frame but not near enough to affect it's effectiveness or longivity,, If I can bail out of bed this pm I;m go to post office and see bout a flat rate box for this brute,,,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 9:20am
joe ... since the holes are a VISUAL problem and not a STRENGTH problem, you can clean out the holes with a burr and fill them with JB weld and sand smooth.. I have done that and it helps the LOOKS 100%... and the JB is about the same color as sandblasted steel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic