This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best groceries for mice traps,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best groceries for mice traps,,,
    Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 9:30pm
 Well,,,with ya'lls expert advice,,,,I'm thinkin I must of trapped all them mices in the house,,,,I've had 8 traps scattered thru the house with PB and even 2 with some Reeces PB cups,,,!!! One of the firstm I trapped was the one of them sobs had got ON the silverware tray and left his marks,  and that really pizzed me off,,,!!! It has had Reeses for a week and no takers since that first one,,SO,,maybe they all gone to the mouse place,,,,??Clapg the way
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

Mine have been on full feed now for a week or so, can't hardly keep the D-con out fast enough.  They've completely carried off two packets in the last week.  I've found that if you tear a little hole in the top of the packet they'll eat it faster, also if you put a little water out beside it they'll eat more.  I did find an old patent, maybe you could check some antique shops however, I haven't had any luck.

Looks like some old "burglar alarm" booby traps I've seen.  A 12 ga shell and a 3 " barrel attached to a window...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:24am
Mine have been on full feed now for a week or so, can't hardly keep the D-con out fast enough.  They've completely carried off two packets in the last week.  I've found that if you tear a little hole in the top of the packet they'll eat it faster, also if you put a little water out beside it they'll eat more.  I did find an old patent, maybe you could check some antique shops however, I haven't had any luck.
Maximum use of available resources!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Darwin W. Kurtz Darwin W. Kurtz wrote:

Get some of the glue traps and put some peanut butter on those .....will draw them to it for sure then they're stuck. If you have indoor pets you will have to put them to where they can't get to it. We had a little dog once that liked peanut butter

I’ve used this method with great success. I never have luck with traditional wooden mouse traps. I even use this method in all my tractor cabs in the winter. They can’t get away from the glue.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:13am
I've tried those. Never had much luck. Had them on my back porch once when I used it. Wouldn't touch it. Wth hell so I turned it over so the flap was always open. Party started, I watched it through the door. Turned it back over that's when I started getting a bunch at a time.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 8:55am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

I'm game right up to the "Tin Cat" trap,,,,what is that?

It is a one-way mousetrap by Victor:

http://images.victorpest.com/is/image/woodstream/vp-us-M308-1
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

To be fair, who doesn't like bacon?

Yea, and who doesn’t like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups?

Yea!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:37am

Yea, and who doesn’t like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 5:52am
25 or so years ago young guy I worked with said he had an albino python he wanted to get rid of. Said he would barter for it. Couple of pickup loads of firewood would do. Told the wife about it and said only if you let her psychotic Siamese cat back in the house permanently. Cats name was Goose. Name fit too. Tore my boys up a good many times. Not real bad, just enough to make them holler, usually a little bit of blood. They usually asked for it. Goose held grudges for a long time. 

About the albino python, named Sparky, odd looking, yellow and white about 4' long. Deal was made and I built another bigger box, double plexiglass, kid proof latches etc. Now Goose the cat used to lay in front of the cage and watch him for hours and after about 6 months it dawned on him that this thing was probably dangerous I guess and backed off slowly and never got near it again. Funny as hell to see.
Fed Sparky dead rats. get a half dozen at the pet store. Get home, crack them in the head. Wrap them up and put them in the freezer. Come dinner time, thaw him out real good, had to be warm and he would do his snake thing and be good for a week or so. Occasional Blue jay when I was out of rats.
Trapped a few field rats but they would try to eat the snake so that was out.

Got rid of him after a few years to a really hot girl that worked at the pet store.
Was too big for the box and I was about done with it anyway.
6'11". Big as my arm. Hot pet store girl handled him like they were long lost friends.
Kind of erotic really. Wife told me my mouth was hanging open and wipe the drool off your chin. Yep, wife was watching me watch her.
Good times

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 9:44am
If I ever discovered that there was a snake in the same building that I occupy, all that you would see is the vapor trail of me leaving the premises, maybe stopping long enough to drop a lit match on my way out of the door ‼️
Darrel
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:45am

CHIT Fixer,, you liked to live dangerous didn't you,,,? I remember this one guy back in High School times that was said to keep a Rattle snake in a cage in his room too,,!! and as the story goes he got drunk one nite and was gonna "Show Off" and tried to grab the snake ont of the cage,,,,and the sob bit him on the palm,,,,,,the guys that were there said ole Willie's hand swelled up  something awful before he passed out and they got him to hospital,,,No ER back in them days,,,Any way,,his Father "took care" of that snake while he was in hospital,,,NO more snakes for Willie,,,!!!LOL
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:32am
Well, when I was in high school had a mean ass Boa I acquired.
SOB would try to bite me every time I look at him.
Anyway I didn't have much money to buy rats so I came up with a rat trap that was pretty effective.
Took a big coffee can and a rat trap. Wired a pretty stiff piece of screen and wired it to
that thing that slaps the piss out of them when they trip it.
Don't remember what I baited it with cause it was like 50 years ago.
Took it to the woods at school and was very effective.
Kept that mean SOB fed once a week.
Kept my folks out of my room too. He was in a big ole cage, but if the light was on 
and raised his body temp he could get onery as hell. Cool him off and you could handle him. Left the light on when I wasn't there.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 2:57am
 OK, Dave Kamp,,,,I'm game right up to the "Tin Cat" trap,,,,what is that?
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 12:08am
So here's one thing you can do to bait mice away from the kitchen, and into your traps.

Get a package of coffee 'pods'... the type used in a Keurig machine.  Put all but one in a zip-tie bag, and place the bag in your freezer.

Punch a small hole in the top of the other one, and place it in an unused lower drawer that mice CAN get into.

Put your mechanical and glue traps in THERE.  Bait 'em with peanut butter, jelly, cheese, popcorn... or nothing at all.
Put a coffee pod in your 'Tin Cat' trap.

Prepare thyself for every mouse in the house.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 7:56pm
 Kinda like my sitiation, Steve,,,Wink  I live on the first street North of whats considered "Out In The Country", so we get all the town's cast offs such as cats and dogs,,but since my outside Dogs are a full grown Doberman and his buddy The big German Shephard and they are Both very possessive of their groceries, they tend to run off any dog strays,,,,Now cats are another thing,,,My wife would not let me run the cat strays off,,so they found em a home in my garage and they have become  very possesive ot "their" garage,,,LOL
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 12:57pm
cats seem to get DUMPED by our house... Country road just 500 ft off the County Highway... Wife has about 6 OUTSIDE right now.. Some come and go, some stay just to eat the food.. Have not seen a mouse in YEARS..   Cats only seem to last a couple years. They leave or get too far out in the timber i guess..

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Jan 2023 at 12:57pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:57am
Wink You dang old frugal country folk, the manufacture of mouse traps figures you don't want to get to close the dead mouse and you pitch trap and all.LOL 

I a lot of times I leave the trap sitting out in the back yard after dumping the dead mouse. Sunshine and fresh air even a little rain to clean the smell off.

When the mice get to shy of a trap I get the poison out. Would rather smell a dead one than have live ones in everything. My wife trying to be frugal buys boxed food (cake mix, cereal, ect)  when on sale and sometimes has lots.  Back years ago we got over run, could not find a cereal box they had not had a hole chewed in it. In that battle twice we had 2 mieces in one trap they where so bad. Poison finally won the war.  Then a stray momma cat showed up and the problem was to many cats, Wink but not a sign of a mouse for years.

In more recent time after the mouser line died out, had yeller tom show up. He sat around out side but could not get to close. One day my Wonderful comes in says "I touched him".  With in 2 weeks he walked in the door and took over as king. So the Garfield moniker was given to him. After some years had a mouse in the house, and it comes up to O'l Garfield and eats out of his dish. He starts dancing around like he was afraid of it touching his paws the worthless over fed bugger.  Well worthless finally died, and within a month another wild momma cat moves into the yard. And we currently are over run with cats. But not a mouse or gopher to be found. 

Wink That balance of nature. Confused Never stay in balance long. LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 6:48am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Soggy,,,,great story there, Guy,,,,,Clap It IS persistence such as that which ensures success,,,,and I gots one of those kind of mices,,,,!! He/She has eaten the PB off that trap TWICE already and it shall be MY Persistence which will be his/her undoing,,,,,WinkWink
 I'ma gonna try your wife's method Except,,,it ain't gonna be easy, what with these fat, old arthritic hands and fingers to tie that popcorn to the trap,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL   
It's eaten the peanut butter off the trap twice?  Joe, you is supposed to set that trap, ya know?Wink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:50am
  Yeah, Thad,,most cats are "show-Offs" . Years ago, we had a tom that did that in leaving the mice at the front door,,,and would just swell up when the wife would pet its head,,all the while purring like ,,well like a cat,,,,LOLLOL
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:29am
Cats are supposed to keep mice away.
Not long ago my fat ole cat caught her a mouse. She came running in to show me. I hollered what the heck? She let it go to play with it. It got under the kitchen stove.
Like to never got that little varmint out of the house.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 4:58am
 Hey Soggy,,,,great story there, Guy,,,,,Clap It IS persistence such as that which ensures success,,,,and I gots one of those kind of mices,,,,!! He/She has eaten the PB off that trap TWICE already and it shall be MY Persistence which will be his/her undoing,,,,,WinkWink
 I'ma gonna try your wife's method Except,,,it ain't gonna be easy, what with these fat, old arthritic hands and fingers to tie that popcorn to the trap,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL   
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:11pm
Wife had a mouse in the house that she couldn't catch. She tried all the old traditional bait that had always gotten them before, but this mouse had a very discerning palite. I know that is not spelled right but I don't know how to spell that word. Anyhow, she tried peanut butter. but the mouse turned up his nose. Butter, wouldn't touch it. Cheese, no dice. Finally she popped some popcorn and tied it on the trigger with thread. That got him. The trap was in the drawer in the kitchen where we keep the Bible. I teased her that the poor mouse went into the drawer to read the Bible and pray, and she murdered him. She was not repentant.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 6:21pm

Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

I drill a small hole through a kernel of shell corn then with fine wire I attach it to the trigger on the trap. The corn attracts the mice and doesn't dry out.

Rube Goldberg your cousin?

TBone,,,,you Devil ,,,you,,,! LOLLOLLOL
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 3:58pm

Crunchy peanut butter so you can wedge a chunk in the trigger. Just regular Victory wire spring traps. Otherwise you will keep baiting them.

I keep a Victory "Tin Cat" in the garage, same game, put opening along a wall.

YouTube has a channel of a guy who has a mouse trap hobby. Educational if nothing else. See what people used centuries ago and modern.

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 3:00pm
I've tried a lot of things over the years, including peanut butter. Chunk off a Fig Newton put al the rest to shame. But problem is a caught mouse must taint the trap with scent, as it's hard to catch more in the same trap.

There is a guy on youtube that does "mouse trap mondays". He did a test and found top 2 baits were chocolate and peanut butter. So Reese's peanut butter cup makes sense.

Always thought same would work well on 110 body grip trap for rats. Impale a piece on the trigger wire or use a trigger pan and hang a Reece's piece between the bars.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:18am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:00am
As Diy Dave mentions, mice like bacon. Never tried it but bet it would work. Last mouse I had here in town I 'discovered' by his tracks in the bacon grease in a frying pan left on the stove. Betting bacon grease would be great mouse trap bait too!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

Hey Tbone, I was just sharing what has worked successfully around my farm throughout the years. Thanks at least for not comparing me to Freegas.
I was just messin' around with ya', so thanks for not taking it too seriously!Wink
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:08pm
Hey Tbone, I was just sharing what has worked successfully around my farm throughout the years. Thanks at least for not comparing me to Freegas.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 8:33pm
A couple years ago, we had a problem with mice at work. We had a candy bucket with mini candy bars in it and found some that had been chewed. We found some mouse traps, but had no bait, so we opened some of the candy they had chewed and put it on the traps for bait. It turns out that mice will commit suicide for Reeses peanut Butter Cups!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic