This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Selling on market place is crazy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selling on market place is crazy
    Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 8:03pm
I put some tractors and a welder on market place tonight.
I’ve had so many messages I’m going crazy. Sure makes me nervous.
Then a knock on the door 👀.
I asked who it was? It was a local I know that wants my 1900 Ford. He bought it in the dark without us even starting it.
He said he’s been looking and his brother told him I had it for sale so here he came.
I’ve had over a hundred messages about that welder.
I really don’t like to sell stuff and don’t like inviting strangers over.
Be glad when this is over.
Sponsored Links

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 8:22pm
With that kinda response, I'd be wondering if I priced them to low!?!?...
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 9:56pm
I'd be thinking that, too. Of course, what I used to think was "reasonable" is now cheap with today's equipment market prices.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:10pm
 Hey Thad,,,I HEAR you,,,I been wanting to post my Ditch Witch with a trailer,,and somehow I keep putting it offWinkWink Plus lots of other things that should sell,,,so I'm gonna have to get going if I want them sold,,,,huh,,?
 Which of your 6 welders are you selling,,,?Wink
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 3:24am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Thad,,,I HEAR you,,,I been wanting to post my Ditch Witch with a trailer,,and somehow I keep putting it offWinkWink Plus lots of other things that should sell,,,so I'm gonna have to get going if I want them sold,,,,huh,,?
 Which of your 6 welders are you selling,,,?Wink

The AEA Miller.
I never use it but have to step around it every day and it’s one more thing to keep gas oil and a battery in.
I want my shop clean. Oh and I found another mill.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 6:41am
I sold a tractor in 20 minutes on Marketplace!  Yep, 20 MINUTES.  Price too low. . . .hahaha, guy said it was just what he was looking for.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 7:34am
 Well, Thad, I did sell my AELD bout 3 months ago to a bro of my neighbor and priced it WAY TOO CHEAP as he gobbeled itt up almost before I stopped talking ,,,,,,!!  CHIT,!!.
 Well, thats just the way it goes, don't it?,,,,
  Due to the "Recent Events", I am making some serious plans to go visit with you in April (My Birthday) and after Tornado Season,,,,!! BUT,,,I ain't gonna stay longer than,,,3 months,,,,,Ha, ha!! Ole Shameless tole me I could go visit him and it will prolly take a few weeks to check out all his lay down yard ,,,,,,,,"stuff"   My Trailer and Chevy Allis better still be there,,,,,OH yeah and your Jeep,,,CHIT we might have to make 2-3 trips,,,,
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 6:45pm
Ive bought off Marketplace before- but now theres an Auctioneer that has quarterly on line consignment auctions close around , luv that ! 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well, Thad, I did sell my AELD bout 3 months ago to a bro of my neighbor and priced it WAY TOO CHEAP as he gobbeled itt up almost before I stopped talking ,,,,,,!!  CHIT,!!.
 Well, thats just the way it goes, don't it?,,,,
  Due to the "Recent Events", I am making some serious plans to go visit with you in April (My Birthday) and after Tornado Season,,,,!! BUT,,,I ain't gonna stay longer than,,,3 months,,,,,Ha, ha!! Ole Shameless tole me I could go visit him and it will prolly take a few weeks to check out all his lay down yard ,,,,,,,,"stuff"   My Trailer and Chevy Allis better still be there,,,,,OH yeah and your Jeep,,,CHIT we might have to make 2-3 trips,,,,

My jeep better dang we’ll still be there. He’s sending lots of pretty here right now. I’m gonna need my jeep by morning.

Edited by Thad in AR. - 25 Jan 2023 at 3:19am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 6:54pm
Was quite fortunate this after noon that a neighbor/friend is buying the welder so that’s another sold without strangers coming here.
Now I need to sell the G’s and WD45.
Mots of the messages on them have been from older farmer types that don’t make me so nervous.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 7:58pm
hmmmmmmm....ditch witch and trailer for trade on a chevy allis????
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 8:03pm
FB won't allow me onto MP, as I don't have a 'smart phone'...
anyway, local metal company has an auction.....
There's an Edwards Ironworker Jaws IV, maybe 10-12 sets of punches.
Reserve bid is $2500.... it sells for $3500 ! + 18% buyers fee + 13% HST (taxes) + $250 rigger fee +13% HST on that... so real close to $5000 for a 40 year old, used,abused 575,3 phase machine..... BTW a brand new one is about $20K.....

I just don't get it......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 8:18pm
If you're getting a lot of calls from a marketplace ad it's because your pricing is REALISTIC. Have you read through those listings?  I'd say one in twenty is about right. And yes I have bought off there.
Learning AC...slowly
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 11:06pm

SHAMELESS,,,are you trying to give me a heart attack,,,,? You DID mean " A Ditch Witch AND a trailer TRADE EVEN STEVENS for a Chevy Allis AND a trailer didn't you,,,,didn't you?? at lleast THAT is what I remember,,,WAIT,,!!  Seems like I remember I DID record THAT conversation,,,,lemme go check,,,,Wink
  WHOOPS, CHIT,,Shameless   I almost forgot,,,ole Michael from up  North of me done beat you to the punch,,,,he done offered me every dollar I asking for it ,,,,,unless you want to throw in that 454 to sweeten up the pot,,,?LOL
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 1:39am
Boy DJ, you sure have some kind of dealin's going on there.

I remembers that ol' Shameless put that WD complete steering system up for bids on here an I had the last bid and he was suppose to deliver it to Hutchinson... but he jus never gets back there for me to meet up with him.
 Maybe he might have time to come up to Hutch this year if he isn't to busy farming?

What I know is I ain't as tuff as I use to be and my old WD sure could use some assistance... specially on rough ground.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 5:19am
 Hey JC,,,I DO remember that PS unit,,,,But,,,,but,,,I thought that "I" had won the last high bid on it,,,,?Confused THAT was some years ago,,wasn't it,,,?? Which reminds me,,,I Have got to go ahead and start the tear down of the PS system on my D14,,,just cannot put it off NO MORE!!! The sob dang near broke my wrist last time I used it and I sure don't need any broke bones at my age,,,,,! Say,,,I just got a wonderful idea,,,since I plan to go visit THad in April, then we gonna go visit ole Shameless,,,maybe We can remove the PS from that Wd while Shameless is takin a nap,,,,What do you want to bid on it,,,??Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 2:36am
wasn't that last bid....bouts $300.00???
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:56am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

wasn't that last bid....bouts $300.00???

NAW Shameless,,,,if memory serves me right,,,and it usually does in sititiations such as this,,,,,,Wink,,,I think the bid was for the whole tractor that the PS unit was on,,,with two new rear tires,,,,,wasn't it,,,??
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 12:07pm
Hecky durn, Shameless, your always inflatin the prices when your tryin to sell... an don't let ol' Joe fools ye,  the last bid was like $119 dollars an ninety seven cents or such, just for the complete PS system... and be delivered to Hutch when ye came...
mmm, Is that why you haven't come to Hutch to get in them grease gun wars? Ermm LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 7:22am
Scammers are finding their way into Marketplace, saw a decent older AGCO MFWD 120hp and rather cheap at $18,500, so just out curiosity did a blanket search on GOOGLE for same tractor by size and hp, same ad but from twelve DIFFERENT addresses, exact same photos.  So reported and ad disappeared.  HAVE to be Wary and skeptical of so much anymore.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 7:39am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Scammers are finding their way into Marketplace, saw a decent older AGCO MFWD 120hp and rather cheap at $18,500, so just out curiosity did a blanket search on GOOGLE for same tractor by size and hp, same ad but from twelve DIFFERENT addresses, exact same photos.  So reported and ad disappeared.  HAVE to be Wary and skeptical of so much anymore.

Yes it’s full of them. That’s why I don’t like selling things on there.
It’s a good way for scrap thieves to come look around.
Speaking of which another neighbor made an offer on my WD45 and equipment.
If he buys it that will be 3 items sold to people I know and trust.
Now if a neighbor would just buy those G’s.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 8:37am
"...same ad but from twelve DIFFERENT addresses, exact same photos..."

Another thing that some guys do... is see something underpriced, then copy the picture, put up the same ad, with THEIR contact info, and when you call them to buy it, they buy it from the REAL seller, then sell it to you.

They just say "I'm selling it for a friend"...

When you place an ad, and see someone ELSE using your photo, what you do, is find out where the 'proxy seller' lives, by calling on your own, and then making them an offer, then hang up the phone, and wait for them to call YOU back to buy it... Wink

Edited by DaveKamp - 29 Jan 2023 at 8:39am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 1:29pm
I have had the same experience with scammers on here. I advertised for an AC part on here a while back. Received an IM from a guy that had just joined that day. Zero posts (just checked and still zero). 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 7:57pm
If one of the to good to be true adds actually has a machine for you to go look at and test drive ....................it could get worse. 

A low life stole a mini excavator and a skid steer advertised them less than 150 miles from where he stole them.  With all rain/flooding local a excavator with a thumb has been the greatest clean up machine. So the new owner called the local dealer to buy the thumb attachment. Of course needed the serial number, turned up on the stolen list. Local sheriff went out and confirmed the number, original owned got the mini ex back, buyer out the money he payed. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 5:36am
Heard that from several friends and Family in several states. OK, IL, TX & UT
dustinmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 11:55pm
wanna talk about crazy?   try selling some 70s and 80s cadilliacs on there    I had a few on a farm I got and wanna talk about crazy?   put them on for 500 bucks each and made sure to tell them that they had been setting for close to 30 years  in the same spots outside     yeah I hate trying to sell anything on there lol
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 5:33am
I’m amazed but all 4 tractors and the welder have sold and I didn’t have one stranger in my yard.
Everything went to neighbors except the two G’s and they went to a good guy from my old tractor club who I know and trust.
He’s just one county over.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic