This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Know anything about tire pressure sensors ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Know anything about tire pressure sensors ?
    Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 2:26pm
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport (Wife's Ride)

The first flat tire fiasco she had, a year ago, thirty miles from home in the pouring rain on the side of the Parkway with truck after truck after truck spraying water plumb over the fencerows.

I am no novice when it comes to anything tires (except pressure sensors).

I loaded everything I possibly thought we could need and headed to her rescue.

When I got there, the first thing I did was to hang my boot in the very dead very rotten soaking wet fur-bearing creature that was laying right where I needed to put my knee and slung it as far down the holler as I could send it; as hard as it was raining and as much water as was coming off that blacktop, within seconds any residue and maggots were washed away.

Hoping that a simple push-through plug would get her up and running and out of the pouring rain, I strung the air-hose up to it and commenced airing it up; --- the air was whistling out quicker that I was putting it in.

So, in the pouring rain, she worked about an hour and tossed two semi loads of women's in-the-car junk from on top of the spare tire cover to over the top of the seats to land wherever it did.

When she got enough junk out of the way, I lifted the cover to find the never-used little temporary tire that I had been harping to her for four years that should be checked was flat as a pancake --- good that I have on-board air and plenty of it.

I removed all the lug-nuts from the flat wheel; I don't know why they even bothered; it didn't need them; John Henry couldn't knock the wheel off with a nine-pound hammer.

Did I say it was raining ?

I laid flat on my back under there with the provided dinky scissor jack and one of my 12-ton bottle jacks holding it off the ground --- three of the lug-nuts screwed back on a couple threads --- just in case --- and commenced to hammering on the back side of the wheel and turning it a few inches every few licks --- I didn't have a nine-pound hammer.

After at least an hours hammering, I saw it move about the thickness of a dollar bill; encouraged, I didn't give up and after another couple hundred licks she give it up and popped loose.

I bolted on the little dinky temporary spare and sent her on her way --- to Harbor Freight --- to get one of those little trolley jacks and the biggest dead-blow hammer they had; I should have gotten one of those trolley jacks years ago --- those little things are extremely handy and will fit down in that spare-tire well right beside the spare and are way ahead of the little death-trap jack that came with it.

I spent the next day, using the new dead-blow hammer to knock loose all the rest of the wheels --- none of them came easy --- I right-angle wire-brushed the hubs and slathered on half-a-bottle of anti-sieze per wheel.

The new dead-blow hammer got placed in the spare well, along with the new trolley jack.

I hand-tightened every lug-nut to torque specifications --- I will shoot-to-kill any fool that touches any lug-nut on anything of mine, big trucks and all, with an impact wrench --- those things should be outlawed and thrown to the bottom of the rock quarry --- and I probably remove more tough nuts than any other man alive.

Then, we got on E-Bay and ordered a real wheel to match the other four --- if you can call a pot-metal alloy wheel "real" --- I would much rather they were genuine steel with some decent wire-basket hub-caps.

Used E-Bay wheel in hand, I bought and installed a brand-new tire and put new tire - wheel and all - in one of those big lawn-and-leaf bags, tied the top to keep dirt-daubers out, and put the whole mess in one of the storage trailers where either I could get it or whoever she was able to get ahold of could get it and take it with us when we ever have to rescue her again.

Here we are nine months later --- pouring the rain --- she comes in complaining that her steering wheel is lurching back and forth and the car is wobbling " from 20-mph to about 40-mph and then it smooths out".

She just described the typical steel-radial tire with a broken belt --- I hate radial tires.....

I went out in the rain, jacked it up, and removed the wheel to where we could actually see the tire; and, sure enough, one side of the tire looked good as new and the other side was all bulged out with a million sharp wires poking out and almost worn plumb through to the air inside --- it wouldn't have went another thirty miles.

I went and got my brand-new tire on my E-Bay wheel and discovered it was flat as a board.

When I aired it up and sprayed a bit of my secret recipe Joy dish-warshing detergent/water mixture around the valve stem, it was foaming like a mad dog.

I let the air out and placed the sidewall under the back of my truck.

I put the base of a 12-ton bottle jack against the rim and commenced putting the pressure on it until the bead finally broke free --- did I say I hate radial tires ?

I had plenty of all variations of stainless bolt-in valve stems and a sack-full of pop-in rubber lawn-mower stems --- but no TPMS stems.

It was dark and raining and I had never before ever messed with a TPMS.

The outer portion is way back in that deep recess where you can't see and can't get a tool.

On the inside, I could see the brass air tube that went from inside to out.

With the tire still on the wheel and it dark and raining, I couldn't see that little torx-headed screw that holds the sensor to the removable brass stem.

I did the next best thing --- I poked the small Harbor Freight bolt-cutters in there and snipped the sensor loose from the stem --- of course the sensor fell down inside the tire and we spent the next two hours fishing it out.

I used my stem puller to pop the leaking stem out and pop the new rubber non-TPMS stem in --- I sprayed plenty of PAM cooking spray on the new stem before popping it in.

I saturated the bead that I had just broken down with the rest of the can of PAM and aired up the tire --- a quick squirt of my secret recipe leak finder showed all was good to go.

I bolted her on and sent her on her way and called and ordered up another brand-new tire to replace the broken-belt tire and put back inside the lawn-and-leaf bag and back inside the storage trailer to be on hand for the next episode.

When I checked on her a while ago, she said the TPMS warnings were about to drive her crazy.

Sooooo, I have no idea whether this sensor that came in the E-Bay wheel is good or bad.

I am confident that nothing I did last night, including whacking it in two with the bolt-cutters has hurt the sensor in any way --- but it may have already been junk.

My question(s) is, will the vehicle read the tire sensors when it is sitting still ?

Can I place this E-Bay wheel's sensor on top of the tire, or on the wheel beside the valve-stem and the vehicle sense it's presence --- showing a flat tire, of course, as it would not be in a wheel ?

If this trick will work, that would tell me whether this sensor is worth getting a new stem for and putting it back in the wheel

A friend put a fancy set of wheels on his truck and moved the truck wheels, sensors and all, to his cattle trailer; he claims the TPMS in the truck will read the trailer tires.
Sponsored Links

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 2:49pm
I don't know didly whack about air sensors ... ... just want to say you are a good man for helping your "other half" ... and doing what needed to be done in spite of the conditions.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 3:41pm

yes, it 'should' work..show a flat tire..though the TPMS 'computer' will have to 'learn' the sensor's there. Ask google for instructions for your vehicle (they ain't the same...)

for about $20 ? , you can get a 'module' that FOOLS the TMPS computer, get the one that broadcasts on both the 3xx and 4xx MHZ bands

about 5-6 years ago,friend was really PO about changing summer -winter tires... as only one set had the TPMS. so I spent the weekend and designed and programmed  a TPMS 'computer' that would AUTOMATICALLY locate all the sensors when you changed any of them...'silly' add-on I did was that if (when ? ) the tires/rims get stolen, it'd alert you
'theft in progress......'

TMPS is another one of those USELESS GIMMICKS that is a HUGE money maker while really doing NOTHING .
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 3:49pm
One thing I do not do, is change tires on side of a highway. I will limb along till I find a safe place, don’t care if it’s 10 miles, go slow enough, and no damage will happen to the rim, tire be damned.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 4:23pm
Tire shop I frequent has the electronic gizmo to Make the car ecm ‘see’ the correct wheel position. Well worth their performing that.
There are other processes I have tried none of which eorked very well.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 6:05pm
son has a monster type truck that had wheel sensors... The "shop" sold him a small cylinder that the 4 sensors screw into and one schrader valve... add air to 50 psi, and put the little gizmo under the front seat.... all is good.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 6:39pm
tannerite!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 8:52pm
A video popped into my youtube feed...  Says to set your tire pressires on all 4 tires (cold) AND the spare.  the spare may have a different pressure, look on the door tag.  Also some have reset switches.  You should drive for about 10 mins, after adding air. HTHWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

A video popped into my youtube feed...  Says to set your tire pressires on all 4 tires (cold) AND the spare.  the spare may have a different pressure, look on the door tag.  Also some have reset switches.  You should drive for about 10 mins, after adding air. HTHWink

There must not be any sensor in her spare tire as it was flat as a pancake and nothing ever warned her; actually, seeing as most people neglect them until ten years later when they have their first flat tire and discover the spare is also flat, it seems to me that it would be more important to have a sensor in the spare than anywhere else.

I can't remember the year it went into effect; but, it is federal law that all vehicles have them and they are really a big headache to anyone who services tires as these little old ladies will absolutely worry you to death wanting you to air up their tires for free and then be back the next day claiming it is telling them they have a low tire --- you can walk them around the vehicle and show them that every tire has 38-PSI --- none of them are low --- and every one of them has the same amount --- and they will argue with you as if you were trying to pull something over on them; they believe the stupid technology before they will believe factual evidence.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 5:55am
BuckSkin, buy her an "AAA" membership for Christmas. LOL
 Spare tire? They haven't put spares in cars for a few decades as far as I'm concerned.
 I had the first sensor go bad just before an appointment with the dealer. They changed the sensor for a mere $124. Pffftttt! The second one, I had put in at the tire shop for half that price but they found out their little smart box couldn't program my new sensor Angry and the dealer would do it it for a mere $49.95.
 A couple weeks later, the wife had the oil changed at Walmart. When she picked it up, the tire sensor was programed at no charge.
 A little Black tape over the light on the dash seems to be the easiest fix.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 6:47am
I 2nd the AAA membership !!!
 Got the wife one and less than 12 hrs later she called  as her friends car had a flat (BTW TMPS lied......). 20 mins later the spare was on and they were on their way.
I've got car,truck and house insured with  CAA  and membership lowered the premiums. The savings PAID for the upgraded membership( 4 service calls, 200km tows) !! Costs me 72 cents a day for the pickup AND my Kubota tractor is INSURED in the house policy.

I needed to get a new furnace into house before being insured. All insurances are on the same day, my birthday so I can remember when to pay them....

BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 8:10am
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

BuckSkin, buy her an "AAA" membership for Christmas.

In our neck of the woods, you would be waiting for days before a AAA wrecker or service truck would show up; none of the local businesses will fool with them; I think the closest one now is something like 85-miles away and they will send a kid in a car if they think a jump-start or bolt on the spare is all that is needed.

All some punk kid in a car could have done when the wife was on the side of the parkway was to let her borrow his phone to call me.

Several of my friends and business acquaintances are in the wrecker business.

I have asked them why they removed the big silver stickers from their equipment and am told that there is not much future in working for free as in they make these service runs and somehow never seem to get reimbursed for their efforts.

Of course, some new upstart will get himself a wrecker or rollback and commence to show the old-timers how things are done and they let him learn for himself the costs of having one of those big silver stickers on his machine.

Several years ago, a relative who lived in one of the larger metropolitan areas was bragging about the wonderful 24/7 road service he had paid for at one of the chain-gang tire shops when he bought a set of four new tires.

It's not like he lived way back in the bushes.

I made a bet with him; I told him to go to a parking lot at a mall or somewhere similar, in broad week-day light, in the middle of business hours, and remove the core from one of his wheels, letting the tire down about 2/3-flat, and then call his wonderful 24/7 assistance and see what happens.

We put a big portable air-tank in his truck and concealed it, so that he could re-inflate his tire after the failed experiment.

I told him to be sure and bring a cooler and something to read.

He called = "Yeah, we'll be right out."

After a three hour wait, he was foaming mad and gave up on them, re-inflated his tire, and left.

By then, it was getting down in the shank of the evening, when most people are thinking about locking the doors and going home.

I told him to move to a different location and let his girlfriend make the call --- she has a phone voice that could work for dial-a-sex.

She was sitting in her car beside the truck when she made the call and then she relocated to the other side of the highway to observe the proceedings;  and, in less than fifteen minutes, some loverboy showed up, ready to rescue this damsel in distress ----- he was terribly disappointed when  all he found was my big dorky cousin --- he actually got hostile and hateful and never even offered to change the "flat" tire.

An easy fifty bucks for me and a lesson not soon forgotten for my cousin and a chain gang tire company that will never see another nickel from him.

Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

A little Black tape over the light on the dash seems to be the easiest fix.

I have used that trick on several occasions; it is even better if you can get the tape behind the clear plastic and over the source of the annoyance.

By the way, can you pick that flat-top you are holding in your picture; I mean really walk all over it like Doc Watson ? Salt Creek ? Bill Cheatham ? Billy in the Low Ground ?

Edited by BuckSkin - 12 Dec 2022 at 2:46pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 8:28am
Why not just replace the sensor if needed and carry on. I know they can be a pita but if you pay attention to them they can save a tire so that will pay for the sensor. Great for the guys that never check tires. I am great on maintenance but still saved a tire because the light came on. Was coming home on a six hr drive - light came on so flipped the display to monitor the pressure. Pressure dropped to 20psi by the time I got home. If it had dropped anymore I would have tried to add air or install spare. Found a screw in the tire so plugged it and carried on. That more than paid for sensor!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:15am
You can buy the sensor calibration tool from Amazon for about $20. Tires should be recalibrate when there rotated. And should always be replaced when new tire is installed.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 3:06pm
When I had the 2009 Sebring 2 of the tire sensors went out while still under warranty , seems the units they were using had a cheap diecast nut to hold to rim and they would split - Was told normal cost was $125 to replace with Chrysler approved units . 
  Next one went bad and went to Discount Tire , said they had Original Equip for $100 , a aftermarket for $75 , or another unit they just started handling for $40 - put it in - driving away it reset and registered within 2 miles of shop .
 These were the first style where full unit and the valve stem were one unit , now just the stem can be changed and old sensing unit kept and add the new stem .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 7:53pm
I just now found this very helpful video.

It is good to know that we can reset the sensors using technology within the vehicle itself, instead of involving others and having to buy a scanner.

The style sensor her vehicle has consist of two parts; the sensor device and the pop-in valve stem.

I had hoped and thought that I could just place the uninstalled sensor in close proximity of the wheel with the missing sensor and the vehicle would identify it and read it as a flat tire; but, from what I am gathering from the video and other reading, for the vehicle to recognize a sensor, it must have some air pressure.

In our quest to get this figured out, I showed her how to access an information center that tells her all manner of interesting things that she had no idea it was capable of.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 8:11pm
Just think: How did we ever survive in our older pre computer-age vehicles, oh wait I don't own any vehicle that is controlled by a computer and MY wife would have just changed the tire herself and been back on the road. She also knows how to use a tire pressure gauge.  I also do ALL of my own tire work/repairs and swap summer tires for snow tires spring and fall.  

Edited by PaulB - 07 Dec 2022 at 8:12pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 7:11am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Just think: How did we ever survive in our older pre computer-age vehicles, oh wait I don't own any vehicle that is controlled by a computer and MY wife would have just changed the tire herself and been back on the road. She also knows how to use a tire pressure gauge.  I also do ALL of my own tire work/repairs and swap summer tires for snow tires spring and fall.  
Ahh....if only everyone and everyone's wife were as awesome as you and yoursCry  just so sad that it's not that way.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:27am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Just think: How did we ever survive in our older pre computer-age vehicles, oh wait I don't own any vehicle that is controlled by a computer 

That computer mess of crap is the wife's --- I never drive it.

My newest truck is a 1991.5 --- well, actually that one is her's too; my newest is plain old 1991; but, the one I drive is 1985.

In a big truck, I want the dimmer-switch on the floor, sealed beam headlights, turn signals that stay on until I turn them off, real West Coast mirrors, wing-vents, saddle-mount wipers, a stand-up walk-in sleeper, and the front bumper so far from the front seat that I have to stop and rest when I walk around to tilt the hood; --- round headlights are a plus.

I will not drive anything with E-logs and I will never drive anything Volvo ever again.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 2:19am
Okay....., some more of the story:

I had the sensor that had came in the used EBay wheel that ended up leaking around the stem when the new tire was installed.

At the time, all I had that would fit were plain old rubber stems, so one of those got installed and away she went.

I got on Amazon and ordered up a set of four complete sensors and a package of five replacement sensor stems.

The stems are replaceable and pop-in just like any old rubber stem.

The stem is also the sensor's antenna.

I put the old EBay sensor temporarily on one of the new stems and had her drop it in the dash pocket; ----- it rode around for a few days and never did get picked up by the vehicle.

Then, I had her swap it for one of the brand-new sensors and just placed it in the dash pocket; --- she didn't get out to the main road before the Service TPMS Soon light went away and it was being read by the vehicle.

Curiously, though, even though it was just loose in a bag, under no pressure, it was showing 32-psi.

As the EBay wheel/sensor is probably dated from 2012, the first year for that style wheel, I figure the internal battery on that sensor is dead.

If something doesn't derail our plans tomorrow, I intend to actually install the new sensor in the wheel that currently has the plain old stem.

If I can get a hose rigged up to not leak, I am going to try a new trick to get the bead broke loose without having to remove the wheel from the car; I saw a YouTube video where a guy used a ShopVac and sucked all the air out of the tire until the bead pulled loose; in all my years of doing all my own tire work on everything from wheelbarrows to 18.4-38 rear tractors, I had never before seen anyone suck the beads loose with a ShopVac.  
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 9:24am
I had never before seen anyone suck the beads loose with a ShopVac. 
That would be a lot of vacuum. I did not think they were that strong.
Maybe helping a little with a 'bump' from a hammer in the right place?
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 5:26am
The rest of the story:

I am disappointed to say that I didn't get to try the ShopVac bead-breaker trick at this time; I just had too many pressing things to accomplish before the coming super-freeze to spend a day rigging up some sort of leak-free hose adapter to adapt the huge ShopVac inlet to fit a 3/8 hose.

It's not that it would have taken me a day to get it together, but the searching the place over for things that would work would have eaten up a lot of time.

I just used the bead-breaker feature on my trusty Harbor Freight manual tire-changer and it took about five seconds to get it loose; it sure helped to have an assistant to hold the mechanism and pole up out of the way while I positioned and then re-positioned the tire/wheel.

After our in-the-dark in-the-rain ordeal of losing a sensor down inside the tire when I clipped off the brass stem, I was looking over the old retrieved sensor and noticed that it (and also the new ones I bought) has two molded-on loops/eyelets/holes of about 1/8" id; it didn't take me a second to realize that the purpose of these loops must be for threading a long string through them to prevent loosing the sensor down inside the tire.

I threaded a length of strong feed-sack string through the loops and looped it around my wrist while I installed the stem and attached sensor.

A quick squirt of Pam cooking spray on the rubber stem enabled it to slide securely into place.

Before I started, I investigated and found the tiny screw that attaches the sensor onto the bottom of the valve stem was loose as a goose; I turned it two full revolutions before it took up the slack and then I snugged it up tight.

If I hadn't checked this, it would have vibrated loose and fallen inside the tire before she got to town.

Now, with the tire aired up and bolted back on, the car recognized the new sensor and the Service TPMS warning went away.

Ever since she had owned the vehicle, some ill-advised previous owner had rotated the tires, but had not re-programmed the vehicle; so, the tire positions were all wrong.

I grew up in a huge tire shop and if I came away with one thing, it is that rotating tires is one of the biggest scams out there, right up there with quickie oil-change places that pretend to change your oil --- your tread/tires will last a lot longer by leaving them right where they are.

That being said, I searched and found this video  that explains how to reset the system to recognize the proper tire positions with technology built right in the vehicle and no need for any special equipment and no need to pay someone else --- which is always a plus.

However, when we went to employ the technique, the vehicle in the video is a 2008 and her's is a 2012 (Chevy Captiva Sport); her Info display does not have the "Relearn Tire Positions" option.

While I was puzzling over this omission of vital importance, she got on her phone and found updated instructions = Engine OFF and key in Run position, set the Park Brake, then simultaneously hold the Lock and Unlock buttons on the key fob thingie until the horn toots twice --- at which point the left-front marker will come on.

Let five or more seconds of air out of the left-front tire and wait a bit for the system to recognize the change and then the horn will toot once and the right-front marker will light.

Do the same at right-front, then right-rear, and finally left-rear.

Once the left-rear position is recognized, the horn will toot twice and you are done.

Of course, you must now replace the bled-out air pressure.

I inflated all four tires to 38-psi by my dual-wheel big-truck gauge; I got it at Harbor Freight and it is identical in every way and just as accurate as the forty-dollar ones that the tire service vendors sell; I know as I have several of those as well.

Within minutes of setting the air-pressure, the vehicle readout showed all four positions to have 41-psi.

Mission Accomplished !

With three more new complete sensors and five new stems at hand, we are much better equipped to handle the next leaking valve stem --- and not have to do the work twice.

I learned a lot during this experience and I hope that my experience is of benefit to others.

Thanks to everyone for their input and comments.

My next project is to make checking the air in the spare much easier.

As delivered, the spare is loaded valve-stem down; --- probably for two reasons --- one being the wheel center is much closer to the face side and mounting it face down can be done with a much shorter mount assembly; and, two, considering people's habit of piling anything and everything in on top of the spare, having the stem on the bottom side prevents it getting knocked off or bent over in such a way that it leaks.

Amazon and EBay have all manner of various shapes of rigid valve-stem extensions available in various angles and even in complete "U" shapes; they also have various lengths of flexible braided stainless extensions.

I utilize the long braided flexible extensions on my inside duals to facilitate accessing the valve stems, especially since I have Centramatics between the wheels and they make valve-stem access impossible without some sort of extension.

I have the rigid "direction changers" on the inward-facing stems of the outside wheels.

I used a combination of the rigid direction changers and long flexible extensions to allow me to check and inflate my well pressure tank without the need to remove two insulated panels on the insulated cabinet I built around it.

I intend to use this same line of thinking to make checking and inflating the spare doable without the need to dismount it and flip it over.

I may even get fancy and route the extension through the floor and terminate it in a bracket somewhere easily accessible from outside the vehicle; thus, no matter how much junk she has piled on top of the back floor/spare-tire cover, I can easily check the spare-tire's air pressure --- of course, this would need be easily un-screwable to remove and use the spare --- I could up the pressure a few psi to allow for the bit that would be lost in un-screwing the extension.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 6:57am
GREAT you got her back on the road !!!
Must be nice to have a help for tire changing work ! I've never had anyone,even the OWNER of the tires, be around when I try to have 'tire time troubles'
I don't have  ANY 'free space' to bolt it in the garage, so I bolted it onto a jig that slides onto the forks of the A-C forklift.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic