This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 part out. questions/history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 part out. questions/history
    Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:16am
I found this tractor close by and thought maybe I could save it. The engine sat to long with water in it, One rear rim is really rusted and bearings in the right final where shot. So the best solution is parts. Many questions about what this tractor did and repairs that were made. The tractor was never repainted, very few new parts and not much rust. It has cultivator brackets, worn spots on the frame from a loader and extra holes in the frame. The pistons and liners had been replaced with oversized. The crankshaft had new standard bearings. The clutch was new with a 9 spring pressure plate. The PTO still had the factory shear bolt. The hand clutch is completely new. The shifter lever has lots of movement side to side. Third and forth gear had wear. I suspect power shifting. Only one spring was missing from the tractor. All the others were still on the tractor and in very good condition. Including quadrant and brakes. The draw bar had no welds, bends, or brakes, but was missing the snap coupler release lever and chain. The hook in the bell had very little wear. The lift latches wear never off. Has an after market seat. I think a joy rider. The lights were not rusted, broken, or bent. Hydraulic hoses and lift cylinders were fitted with quick couplers.  I think a well cared for but a little rough use tractor. 

http://lonsallischalmers.com
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:24am
Interesting story. Is it possible it blew the head gasket and got parked? Sounds like it had good care for most of it's existence. Maybe the owner passed away and it got ignored for several years?
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:34am
Antifreeze was to the top of the radiator, the radiator had been repaired. The head gasket was fine and was an aftermarket gasket. Water started coming out when I took the manifold off. The fellow I bought it from left it outside. He bought from someone else for $800 and it was running then.

Edited by Lon(MN) - 20 Nov 2022 at 7:36am
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:54am
Got a pic of the Joy Rider?
Learning AC...slowly
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 8:24am
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 8:40am
So what is the ? part or sell and get money back .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 9:45am

Could have been parked because of the R/H Final Drive Bearing issue.

Final Drive Brgs. are common between WD and WD-45.

Get a Final Drive from a WD donor, then start on the engine.

G
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 12:21pm
Sometimes they start out as a one owner unit that was babied by the original purchaser. Then, the original owner dies, retires or ends up in a nursing home and it falls into less caring hands, maybe even a few different owners. Depending on how the consecutive owners used it, there may be nice parts still from the first owner and worn out parts from the abusive later owners. Sadly, not all cream puffs fall into caring hands as time goes on. This happened with my uncles 2 A-C's.  Got one of them back years later but it wasn't in the shape uncle had left it. Never found the other one, maybe for the best.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

Thank you. Does it set back further than the stock seat?
Learning AC...slowly
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 5:16pm
I am much better with a wrench then writing. 
Fred, I was questioning what the history is on the tractor based on what I found as I took it apart. 
The seat does not set back any farther.
The tractor is all apart and on the shelf now.
The pistons are 4 inch diameter that have a dish in them. They are as tall as a WD piston measured from the wrist pin. Did any engines come this way from the factory?
Thanks for the response. 

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 4:40pm
4" bore with a dish in them sounds like the factory power crater pistons for a WD45.   Overbores are traditionally a 4 1/8".
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 6:04am
Originally posted by JimIA JimIA wrote:

4" bore with a dish in them sounds like the factory power crater pistons for a WD45.   Overbores are traditionally a 4 1/8".

These pistons are dished like the aftermarket 4-1/8. This is the first time I have seen 4 inch pistons dished like that.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 5:33pm
I thought all these 226 gas engines in the WD45 were dished pistons. Thus the name power crater engine. Smile

Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 6:20pm
The determining factor regarding 4" pistons is if the dish has a flat bottom or curved bottom?
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Alex09(WI) Alex09(WI) wrote:

The determining factor regarding 4" pistons is if the dish has a flat bottom or curved bottom?
Thanks Alex. So did they come both ways? And what was the application for each?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 7:24pm
WD-45 Power Crater pistons had a smooth curved bowl and were 6.5 to 1 compression. D-17 are a flat bottom bowl and are 7.25 to 1 compression. Look in the knowledge section for pictures.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:25pm
Thanks so much Doc. I just looked there and saw all the pics. One picture is worth 1000 words. Sure clarifies that. Smile
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

I thought all these 226 gas engines in the WD45 were dished pistons. Thus the name power crater engine. Smile
Ed, 65 years have passed since the last 45 came off the line. Only way to know what pistons are in one is to pull the head and have a look! Lots of changes over the years!
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 10:06am
Oh yeah! I fully realize that Mike. LOL. I don't even know for sure what is in mine because it had a rebuild at local machine ship. But from the factory they would have been one design or one design and maybe an update? SmileSmile
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 6:25pm
So the question is are there any of those dished flat bottom pistons and sleeve kits available now? 7.25 ratio.

Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 9:52am

So the question is are there any of those dished flat bottom pistons and sleeve kits available now? 7.25 ratio.

I found one new set 10 years ago. I found two sets in parts tractors. Never know what you will find when the tractor is no longer used or a new owner picks up an Alice chambers with fenders and two point cheap.

Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 11:36am

I have several new old stock 4" bore 7.25:1 ratio D17 pistons in stock here. The harder item to find is the 4" sleeves.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Alex09(WI) Alex09(WI) wrote:

I have several new old stock 4" bore 7.25:1 ratio D17 pistons in stock here. The harder item to find is the 4" sleeves.

I just so happen to have a good used set of 4" sleeves.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Ed, 65 years have passed since the last 45 came off the line. Only way to know what pistons are in one is to pull the head and have a look! Lots of changes over the years!

Actually, I got a cheap USB borescope/endoscopy-type camera that will look right down a spark plug hole handy-as-can-be... it'll reveal all sorts of fantastic stuff without pullin' that head!  Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 5:33pm
I have boroscope as well. Should peak in mine one day and see. Smile
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Actually, I got a cheap USB borescope/endoscopy-type camera that will look right down a spark plug hole handy-as-can-be... it'll reveal all sorts of fantastic stuff without pullin' that head!  Wink

Dave, I thought about mentioning that but you can't measure bore diameter so that's why I posted what I did. Would be easy to see if you have M&W's with one! Heck, you might be able to pull a plug and see them with a flashlight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic