This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I600 backhoe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I600 backhoe
    Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 9:40pm
I have to change the clutch in a 1961, I 600 backhoe.
1. Is it a 9” clutch?
2. What was the OEM part number of that original clutch?
3. What is a good aftermarket clutch to buy, with a guide tool?
4. I know I have to split the tractor, what is the timeframe for an experienced mechanic to do this job?

I’ll be doing this in a very remote location in northern Canada with no road access, so any information which would help is greatly appreciated. I believe in doing it once and doing it right.
Thank you
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 3:03pm
From the sounds of your experience I assume you have ruled out any slippage in the forward reverser or the main clutch needing adjustment? I'm sorry I don't have any of the numbers you are looking for. I did have to do the fwd/reverser shim adjustment on my I600 and then it was good to go.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 5:54pm
Depending on what you have mounted to the frame, ie backhoe/loader, will add to the time of about a day, which is about what a d-15 tractor takes to split/re-assemble...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 6:11pm
Thanks Eric, I haven’t seen this tractor in six years, but when I last drove it, as soon as everything heated up the forward direction would slip with any grade or resistance on it. It would back up but just barely.(down hill!)
Did look at the adjustment of the clutch but will definitely look into the shimming. But I have a feeling that it is the clutch disc pack that is worn out.
Farmers always taught me to have my foot off of that clutch pedal all the time.
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 6:24pm
Thanks Dave also. I am fortunate that there’s a old Alice Chalmers graveyard and workshop a short distance away. Going to buy the shop lunch and pick their brains on splitting this tractor.
I think if I take the front bucket off, raise the loader arms up, lock them in place, detach the two front supports, pull the steering wheel off, I can winch the front end forward enough to get at the clutch. I have access to a major welding shop in my area, so making a support for the front end of the unit should be easy. Just need to look at something that has been previously built to copy. Any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated.
I grew up around heavy construction equipment and farms in the area. Then went into aviation as mechanic/pilot with lots of Canadian Arctic experience.
This looks like a great adventure, just don’t want it turnout to be a #*£< show.
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 9:38pm
Last one I did, I used a single wheel on a 'v' shaped frame, directly under the area of the bellhousing. Rolled the entire front half and loader  (sans bucket)forward with this. I could have just used a 'shoe' instead of a wheel, but I had a old brushog wheel and axle just laying around. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 6:29am
Originally posted by I600 I600 wrote:

I’ll be doing this in a very remote location in northern Canada with no road access...

Yikes!
Seems like I always forget at least two tools that I desperately need for any project Tongue Gonna be a long hike... LOL (just kidding, I see that you are a pilot).

You can never have too many hydraulic jacks; I presume a chainsaw and plenty of wood to make blocking will be available.

Best wishes on your project Smile
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 10:08am
I appreciate the transfer of knowledge, keep it coming boys!
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 10:12am
We will be armed to the teeth with tooling, pinch bars, torches and impact tools. Bringing three-quarter inch socket set with a 4 foot snipe. Probably gonna make that wheeled dolly that the previous gentleman mentioned
Thank you for your input
We will have three aviation mechanics, One of them owns the cottage, tractor and a 5 ton Chevy dump truck from the 70s. Two of us are helicopter pilots, but that doesn’t account for anything when you’re doing a job like this. Yeah, usually send the pilots for lunch or coffee. That’s all they’re good for.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 5:07pm
One thing I forgot, take some wooden wedges with you, to wedge under the front end, near the pivot point of the front axle, they will keep the motor from flooping a lot to one side or the other.  A wedge of about the same taper as a splitting wedge, and the same length.  Taper is not super critical, but oak or another hard wood even cut from a small tree or such, on site...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 5:58pm

We will be armed to the teeth with tooling, pinch bars, torches and impact tools. Bringing three-quarter inch socket set with a 4 foot snipe. Probably gonna make that wheeled dolly that the previous gentleman mentioned
Thank you for your input
We will have three aviation mechanics, One of them owns the cottage, tractor and a 5 ton Chevy dump truck from the 70s. Two of us are helicopter pilots, but that doesn’t account for anything when you’re doing a job like this. Yeah, usually send the pilots for lunch or coffee. That’s all they’re good for.
   As a former Marine Corps KC-130 Avionics Tech, we used to have a saying, 'there's nothing more dangerous than a pilot with a screwdriver'LOL. At any rate, I am now a pilot, myself, and am quite handy with a screwdriver.  Good luck on your project. One more tip: get some long studs or allthread  pieces in the  housing to help guide the front back into position. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 6:34pm
Guide studs, great idea. Thank you
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 6:36pm
Dily, ya another, great tip, wedges.
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 6:39pm
We have Cell phone access at this camp, I think I can post a few pictures as we move along through the process to keep you guys updated. Heading up there November 13th.
It’s on a Manitoulin island, on the biggest freshwater lake within a freshwater lake in North America….. maybe
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 6:14am
Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

As a former Marine Corps KC-130 Avionics Tech, we used to have a saying, 'there's nothing more dangerous than a pilot with a screwdriver'LOL

Amen Bro! Clap
Former USMC avionics tech here too, IMA level COMNAV, 1976-1980, both rotary and fixed wing.

Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 1:38pm

Gas & diesel clutch are the same. 247745, pressure plate. 253187 is 4-pad ceramic clutch disk. Throwout bearing is 204829, pilot bushing 228255, input seal (2) 256909, seal retainer gasket 237197. We have these parts in stock if you need to order them.

If your I-600 is a gas, you should NOT have to split the tractor. We did a clutch job on a I-60 with loader and the engine will slide forward enough to be lifted out of the chassis! Just disconnect the ft hyd pump driveshaft.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 6:30pm
Thank you Alex I will check those part numbers
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Les Kerf Les Kerf wrote:

Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

As a former Marine Corps KC-130 Avionics Tech, we used to have a saying, 'there's nothing more dangerous than a pilot with a screwdriver'LOL

Amen Bro! Clap
Former USMC avionics tech here too, IMA level COMNAV, 1976-1980, both rotary and fixed wing.

I was at El Toro 77-80 with a year or so in 1st MAW in Okinawa. Our radio operators liked to turn on those old HF crystal sets(ARC-something or other), and immediately making their radio checks. Those old radios didn't like that....Semper Fi! 
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 6:13pm
Could you give me a price for each item? And a possible shipping cost
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 6:24pm
review what ALEX said.. i have not worked on an I600 .... but i did a motor overhaul on a CASE 530 loader/ backhoe.... Take off the hood and pulled radiator, and engine moves forward a couple feet. .... no splitting of frame.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 9:50am

Could you give me a price for each item? And a possible shipping cost

Personal message sent
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
I600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 6:11pm
Had a very satisfying experience changing the clutch in the I 600 backhoe. It was snowing over the three days, the temperature was well below zero. Decided to check clutch pedal adjustment, it was at the limit. Decided to do a non-sanctioned pressure plate lever adjustment which put the machine back into action. Clutch disc definitely worn badly but after a lunch and a couple whiskeys by roaring fire, we decided to defer the job till the summer. Best decision we ever made, enjoy the rest of the time there. The machine is operational and will only be running limited time till the summer.
Will keep you posted. Don
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:00pm
Delayed gratification! Good call on making it useable. You get to smile after the summer time repair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic