This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best plow ever?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best plow ever?
    Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:12pm
For a 30 to 75 hp tractor, what would be your choice of the best plow to have? Just wondering what you would want for a plowing contest. I think I would pick the AC plows. I know some that prefer others. What and why would be the question. Thanks, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:47pm
For an all-out "plowing contest", I don't believe any competitor uses anything but an old pull-type plow. Nothing mounted. I believe they are usually 12 inch bottoms, not 14 and surely not 16 inch. Surf the internet. There are experts on the subject.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 9:20pm
my buddy pulls a 4 bottom  oliver plow behind his d2 cat it always does a beutiful job
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 2:22am
Oliver made the best plows
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 5:59am
Oliver made the best general use plows.  For serious plow contests, I think you'd need a purpose built one.  Those guys are in a different league. 
AaronSEIA
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 6:38am
Oliver
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 6:50am
Trailer plows maintain a consistent depth compared to most any mounted plow that has any type of draft control. The B&C mounted plows being an exception. Consistency is the key to good plowing as opposed to just getting the ground turned, as many think that's all plowing is. type of ground to be used for the contest has a lot to do with the preferred choice of plow to be used. Stubble ground requires a different bottom than sod ground. 
 Any plow that would be used for a plowing contest should have all new wearing parts. I was a the PA state contest a few years ago and it was a joke. Most all of the plows there were so worn out that they had to be "nosed in" and "leaned to the left"  to scratch the ground. One thing today (with the dominant use of No-Till) is that now at least two generations of people have never used a plow and don't really know what "good" plowing is.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 6:54am
Tracy, 'plowing contests' are a bit different! The Doc has some great insight. I really don't get the 12" bottom thing but they do seem to be the one of choice. They seem to plow pretty slow too.

This guy has some great videos of setting up for plowing contests.

Oliver plows are well respected. I have a 565, 4-14", have only plowed about 1&1/2 acre with it. Don't even really have it set yet. We have a plow day pretty close to the farm at the end of the month. Might just mount it on the 185 and drive to it.

Some of the later IH plows were pretty darn good too. Have been watching for a 4-18" 720 for my 856.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 8:16am
I always thought (from age 16 on) I knew how to set a moldboard plow pretty good. BUT, these guys make it like painting a picture to hang on the wall and admire !!!  Nothing wrong with that, but I was expected to get 40 acres done for planting, not to look at.  A few things I have learned over the years; #1. I prefer a snap-coupler plow over a 3-point any day. They are free swinging, so when you hit a rock, generally less damage is done to the plow. #2. You can cheat a little on the front bottoms cut. Taking 2 inches more never really shows and you're getting a little more done each round.  #3. Depth control front to back becomes more inconsistent the longer the plow gets when fully mounted. Now, if your fields are always flat, this isn't an issue. But, in rolling ground it does make a difference. Semi-mounted improves this because the front bottom can raise/lower with the rear tires of the tractor, while the rear bottom uses the tail wheel for depth control. On a fully mounted 3-pt plow, if you are able to raise the top link to a higher anchor hole on the tractor, the plowing depth consistency improves. Some tractors have this feature and some don't. The semi-mounted snap-coupler plow is a good example of weight transfer being on the front of the plow while the tail bottom stays pretty much the same. #4. Plow bottoms are designed to work at certain MPH speeds. If you can easily pull a certain sized plow at 3 MPH, shifting up to a 3 1/2 or 4 MPH gear might take 50% or more power to pull it at the higher speed. That's just the way it is, because of the curvature of the moldboard.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 10:07am
Yes, Oliver’s earned the reputation of one the best plows.
Worked for a neighbor that had, if I recall a 565? w/auto reset, the older style with the hyd. cylinders instead of spring reset. That plow, for as old as it was(then) did a beautiful job of plowing.
Kvernland also was known to do a excellent job of plowing, some claim their design resulted in the ‘easiest pulling’ on the market in their day.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 11:05am
I think a snap coupler or IH fast hitch is the best for  that HP range. They both pull from the center of the tractor and if the plow and tractor are properly setup do a beautiful job.
Learning AC...slowly
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 7:45pm
I have several brand plows and several sizes. I like the AC snap coupler the best. We always used slatted bottoms here. I prefer the 70 series or 80 series. I want to find a good 3 bottom 2000 series. I wasn't entering a plow contest, just wondering what you guys liked and done well with. Thanks, Tracy
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 4:57am
Hey what a great discussion!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 11:52am
I have used and owned several plow over the years. First plow I used growing up was an Athens 2 disc trailer type plow that had a special hitch that bolted to lift arms on a Ferguson TO-20 tractor. The tractor and plow belong to my father. Brought the plow at his uncle estate auction around 1967 and his uncle used the plow behind a Ford 8N tractor . We later used the plow on a MF 35 diesel about 1977 when I was a senior in high school. My first own plow was a Ford 101 3-16” plow I got in about 1992 from a friend that brought a 4 bottom Ford plow. I got a Ford 150 spring auto reset 3-16” plow at an estate auction in 1999 and sold my Ford 101 plow to a neighbor. I like the Ford 150 auto reset plow and not having to back up to reset trip bottom plow.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 3:03pm
Oliver built plows for Ford in later years.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 7:32pm
Paul, I have one of the Oliver built Ford plows. 3 bottom fully mounted 3 point hitch. Does a great job! Tracy
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 7:40pm
I remember Oliver advertising "Radex" plow bottoms. Is that a metallurgy term for the iron used on the moldboards ?? or a brand name? or trademark name like "haybine" ??
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 7:48pm
In an odd bit of irony, i think the worst plow i ever used was a john deere semi mount. Pulled like an anchor.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 8:48pm
What's really ironic is that the moldboard plow is what put John Deere on the map but their more modern plows just aren't that great.

Here's a stupid plowing story; Growing up I didn't get to plow at all. Dad was going to min-till. Later to no-till. I was always fascinated with moldboard plows for whatever reason. The one time I remember plowing was  with the 175 with Grandpa's two bottom rope-trip plow. No idea what brand it was even. Made one or possibly two rounds and dad threw the f-it flag. Pretty much my plowing experience until 30 or so years later.

So after getting re-involved with the farming operation I bought a 45, then a 3-14 model 53 plow. Did the garden with it and plowed up three or so acres of sod. More tractors and plows came along. Got another 45, long trip but it became my 'plow tractor'. Moved along to a 63 3-16's then a 73 3-16's.

Bought the Oliver 565 a few years back thinking I would hang it on the 185. The one time I used it was about two months after getting my 756 up and running. Wanted to do some 'real' work with it so it was drafted to plow up the acre and a half of sod that fall. Well, tread spacing was kind of narrow so I tried to just move the pullbar to compensate. Kind of worked, could have been better. Had trouble with the sediment bowl plugging up, thought I was past that, not! At one point I was so frustrated I was going to go home and get the 45 to finish! Didn't, got done and went home, painted the bottoms and she sets in the shed to this day. If the weather cooperates, it is going on the 185 for a local plow day at the end of the month. Only about 12 miles from the farm, easy drive if not too cold!

Probably 98% of the plowing I've done has been done with a 45 and snap-coupler plow. I do like the way they work with the traction-booster.
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 12:45am
Hi all just watched the YouTube link and when they started the plot they did not do a opening split he just put up a crown. I plough world style match ploughing and even the vintage class over here all must do a opening split. I use a ME Kverneland 2 furrow
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Paul, I have one of the Oliver built Ford plows. 3 bottom fully mounted 3 point hitch. Does a great job! Tracy

My Ford 150 plow is an Oliver made plow. It take aftermarket Oliver plow points and shins. My is a 3-16 and it a big heavy pow. I wouldn’t mind having a 3 bottom semi-mounted plow neither an AC or IH to used behind a MF 275 tractor. I have to used a bigger frame and longer wheelbase tractor for Ford 150 plow because of the weight.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:17pm
Should have added in my last post, there is a learning curve to a semi-mount plow. Not bad but it took me a few passes to get the timing of dropping the lift arms and then the tail wheel. The 565 is adjustable for width of cut, like to set it for 16's but think there are parts needed to do this that I don't have.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

In an odd bit of irony, i think the worst plow i ever used was a john deere semi mount. Pulled like an anchor.

An improperly adjusted plow of any brand will be about the hardest thing to pull that you have ever hooked to. However a properly adjusted plow in proper working condition is a breeze to pull. Bent plows will also have increased draft. Often plows that someone got a bigger tractor and kept their old plow then just pulled it faster got badly bent when hitting rocks. Old timers that had experience with horse draw plows really knew how to make a plow pull easy and do a nice job. These days most people plowing are more interested in speed than doing a good job and the ground will show that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic