This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis CA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ac160 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac160 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:53am
When you worked on the brake drum did you pull the whole shaft out or do it  while the shaft was in the tractor?  I am about to do the same on  a CA  when I have time.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:07am
ac160, folks,
I did the work with the shaft in the tractor housing. I believe to pull the shaft you need to have the drum and key off anyway. I did try to remove the shaft when the drum was off. But I guess I did not have the correct tooling as I could not move it outward with the exterior cap off. The outer bearing exterior cup must have to be pushed out with the bearing? I gave up and went back to cleaning the shaft the best I could to allow the new drum to fit on the shaft. 
I am sure there are folks on here that can tell you what the techniques are to get the shaft out easily?
Looking forward to your project. Let us know how it goes!
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Jan 2023 at 9:12am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:23pm
what size are your rear tires ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:49pm
HudCo,
 Humm? I should know and don't? Rim size is same as regular CA, So I think that is 24 inch? correct? I will try to check tomorrow. But one of the reasons I bought this was for the pretty good old Firestone rears.
I did get the rear seals from Sandy Lake. Removed and installed the smaller. I did get the larger (outer) seal also, But a little late now that I have the brake drum in place.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Jan 2023 at 5:52pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 5:17pm
Folks,
 I did get the right rear tire off today. Also have the rear supported with steel sawhorses under the bar which has the pedals attached. I have started to clean the rear of some of the accumulated grease and grime. Not sure whare I will end up on this CA? We all know its a lot of work to clean and update these 70 year old tractors.
Will try to get some pictures. Cold weather and some snow today. So most of the day was spent in the warmer shop.
Hope things are good in Orange Land!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 11:22am
Allis folks,
the tire size on the CA = 12-24 Firestone Field and road.

We have the left final drive cleaned of grease and grime and set aside:

Have the CA supported on both sides:

ready to pull the right rear. Brake pin design on the top is awesome! Brake shoes on the right side were junk, Brake drum on the right is in pretty good shape, so I do not plan to change that. The seal in the differential has been replaced.;

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Feb 2023 at 12:57pm
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 11:43am
Coming right along!
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 11:48am
Awesome job!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 1:04pm
Thanks guys,
This is what these old brake shoes look like, not good at all:

Pulling the right final was easy:

Remove the cover from the right side of the rearend:

Pop out the old seal and install the new seal:

Sealant on the bolt threads

Now I need to get serious about clean up. The time to do that is now. Wolud be nice to get the back half of the tractor done while apart. What does that mean? I dont know maybe a coat of fresh orange paint?? I have not painted anything in the shop yet. And I did not make a dedicated paint room. Lots of things in here that we dont want painted with orange overspray!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Feb 2023 at 1:07pm
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 1:21pm
You have it that far might as well pull the front tires,use tin foil to mask it and get out the paint guns, I painted mine in my barn, it took me a bit but I got a roll of plastic painter drop cloth and sorta made my own paint booth, I also made a barrier around the temp paint booth,and draped plastic over the other equipment and implements, it turned out pretty good, not a $3,000.00 paint job but probably better than factory.also used way low pressure
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 5:39pm
Tom,
Yea your probably right! I will keep cleaning the dirty old CA for a while, since it needs that anyway. I know it wount pull any better with acoat of paint. But while pulling or at the pulls it represents me or friends and family pulling too. I do have several in there work clothes too. 
Have never used tin foil as a mask??? Humm?? 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Feb 2023 at 5:40pm
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 7:21pm
I use tin foil to wrap anything I don't want paint on,a lot cleaner and easier than tape and you can shove it into corners and around stuff that tape is almost impossible to get it to stick to.works great
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 7:20pm
Chris!  That Tractor is getting lighter! I don't think they have that light of a class to pull in! LOL! Big smile   It's lookin' good buddy. Yeah, treat the ole girl to a coat of paint. What the Hell. You might be able to pressure wash it this week. Supposed to be in the 50's round' here this coming week. I love it! I'll take this weather right to May...... Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 12:30pm
Allis folks,
 The CA is back in the middle of the main bay in the shop. Right in the way. I should be out working on it. Being lazy! The weather was warm enough to mow the yard a couple days ago, then back to cold and snow!
 Syrup season is done for 2023, Thoughts turn to old tractors and my old truck. Car shows coming up soon, along with cruise-in events.
So the CA, Well it is still apart. I did order some paint for it which I hate to say will cost as much as the tractor. But I do like to see them freshened up. So this hopefully will be a Refurb, Clean and Paint project. Will it be ready for prime time this season on the pulling track?? Time will tell. I will try to get some pictures posted.

Here is Ruby my helper:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Apr 2023 at 8:24pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 8:34am
Chris,
You can park that AA in my pole barn if ya want. Me and Jo Jo will give it a little exercise this summer. CA is lookin' good! Don't get like Ruby though. Even though she has the right idea. Warm weather is here. Time to go to work again on the CA! Rock n' Roll dude!
BTW, that little Denso looks lonely. Needs a B&B wiring system attached to it one of these days!  Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 9:17am
Thanks for the update. Ruby looks to be hard at work!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 1:01pm
Steve, Mike, Folks,
 Thanks for checking in! Out of energy over here! I need some sunshine and warm weather too. The CA in the warm shop needs so much work. I have climbed this hill before. They just seem to get steeper with age!:) I need to set up the electrolysis tank for cleaning some of the parts. A nice HF sand blast cabinet would be welcome addition to the shop too.
 Hoping to have a lot of fun with the 32 dump truck at shows and cruise - ins this summer too. 
Two plow days coming up in early May that I want to get to also with the Uncles wide front WD with a rusty set of 2 bottoms. Also may take the WD45 with the old three bottoms to an event down I-79 (Mercer County Tractor plow days May 6.
Will try to get some pictures.
Cheryl did not like the cracked front tires on the CA, so I ordered a new set of 4.00-15s tri rib. Will get the tires removed and clean up and repair the rims. Maybe splash a little of my favorite paints on them too.
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 2:25pm
Folks,
Making a slight bit of headway on the CA project. But we have not turned the corner yet.
 I did order a new repro manifold and several other items to get headed in a positive direction. Also have the first part through the E-tank for cleaning. Small wins!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 11:00am
AC folks,
 I did get the E-tank operational. Part #1 came out yesterday. the right brake pedal casting.
It removed 95% of the rust and paint. a little wire brushing to remove the black smut, and a good rinsing. Then a little wire wheel work to remove the stubborn paint areas. A wipe down with mineral spirits, and its ready to prime. Might get the primer/paint next week. Need to set up a paint area somewhere to reduce the mess.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 2:16pm
Nice to make progress regardless of the size of the step. A refresher on your E-tank. Are those metal plates on the perimeter and wired in parallel? I have something like that in mind to do a 38” spin out rim using a kiddie pool.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 7:53pm
Plummer,
Not a electrical expert here. The steel plates (sacrifical anodes) are wired from one to another like a chain, so I think that would be in series?? They are connected to the positive side of the battery.
Yes should work for your rim cleaning too. Just need a bigger tank! I would use a full box of Arm and Hammer Washing soda in the pool. Maybe hang some annodes inside the rim to clean the inside at the same time??
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 8:02pm
Chris!
I call taking the Deuce Dump out for a cruise therapy.  Anytime Jo Jo and I take one of the old cars out, it's like relaxing therapy. lol!  Have fun this summer! Don't miss to many cruise nights...
Steve@B&B
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 8:26am
That CA is gonna be very spoiled Chris, my dirty old CA would feel neglected. I am searching for parts and knowledge on a narrow front end for a C if you know where one is in the weeds let me know. I need to come waste some of your time and lean on a tire for a bit. Good to see your shop crowded as always!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 5:02am
Steve, Joe, AC Folks,
Yes we try to take the ragged ol truck out as much as possible. Cheryl has become tolerant of it and me!:) We went to the local ice cream shop last night in the Deuce Dump. 

Joe it was good talking with you about your projects and your dirt moving addiction! Also heavy lifting!

The paint (PPG 600080 Persian Orange #1) is supposed to be mixed today for the Allis CA project. Going with a light gray primer. Also will try to shoot some high fill primer. Have never tried that stuff. Trying to improve with time!
Many many parts to clean. The electrolysis tank is working around the clock. Today the hood is in the tank. 
Here are some parts being removed. Yes this does remove a lot of the paint too!

Also just got an old Guyson brand sand blast cabinet to try to finish some of the smaller items. Still have not got it operational. I forgot how slow the process was and this old orange paint is tough! Waiting for information from the mfg on replacement parts for the nozzle and recommended pressures. I like the cabinet, an old but well built unit. Large enough that the CA hood would fit in it.
I Did get the front tires unmounted. Not sure the rims are save-able? Very rusty! They will go in the E-tank next and would like to have the sandblast cabinet functional to finish them prior to repairs needed for rust out areas. I think new rims are $150 each in Stiener's book.
Pictures are lacking due to very slow "postimage" hosting storage site. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 May 2023 at 5:19am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:21am
Always good to see progress. I had a few parts come out of the tank looking like that. Makes cleaning much easier.
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 6:50pm
Hang in there Chris, the brake drum is sadly the most costly part of the brakes, but it will last you a long time!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 7:56am
Chris,
Glad to hear you got the Deuce Dump out for some exersize! It's always a lot of fun drivin' the old iron around. Jo Jo hopped in her T-Bird the other day and went down to the farm store to pick some goodies up. Said she came out of the store and their were a handful of people around the car looking at it. Tough not to see that thing with the T-Bird Blue which is almost like a Turquiose. People ask her "where's the porthole in the roof". She tells em' 55' didn't have the porthole. 56' & 57 did. She has a blast in that thing.

Parts are lookin' good! Get that glassbeader set up and after the paint is scraped off the parts, the glassbeader should finish cleaning them up. A little dash of prime, and we're ready for color!  Keep at it buddy! Yer' doin' good!
Steve@B&B
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 8:02pm
Steve, Allis Folks,
I cleaned up old the front rims for the CA. They were not good! Ordered and new set from Sandy Lake.  Painted the rim rusteolem silver, Have new 4.00-16 tri ribs mounted on these. Just have to go get them.

Slow process, as I take on way to many things for an old man! I had 5 loads of bank gravel hauled in to fill a hole for a potential new building. Just a 24 x 34 post and beam.
 1/4 scale of the shop if I get busy and get the funds! 

The owner of the CA found the Allis front engine side weights, and the rear IH pie weights. More fun. Not even sure the side weights fit, with my front end combo? That would put me in the 3,000 lb class at pulls. 
Also going to try to get a 12K two post lift for the shop. This would handle my truck, which is aging. More on that later.
I know gathering of the Orange is this week too. Hope you folks have a great time. Cheryl and I will travel to Dearborn Michigan for a V8 Grand Nationals meet.
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 07 Jun 2023 at 8:14pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 10:48am
Folks,
Its been a while. as I re read the posts above, I can comment on several things. Cheryl and I have put 1000 miles on the ragged ol dump truck, we went to many tractor pulls, got the sand blaster functioning, built the tractor shop, and hosted several dinners in our shop. It has been a busy summer/ fall! Hope things are good in Orange Land!

Several small Allis projects are going at the same time for a change.
Pulled the head off the CA to get it cleaned up. Decided to have a valve job done. Nothing broken or bent or missing, and the engine ran ok. Just feel its the right thing to do if the great grandkids are going to pull this tractor someday!

I broke off three of the 4 bolts in the lower waterneck. Yea the steel screws in aluminum housing! Galvanic corrosion set in. Hope I can get the remaining portions of the bolts out? Might have to find an new part? 

Will probably pull the engine off the torque tube also to take a look at the bottom end of the rotating assembly. Also to look at the clutch and pressure plate assembly.
I would like this stock tractor to be fairly fresh as we begin to clean it up for the 2024 pulling season. 

I did get the main pan under the seat sandblasted, re-shaped the shock opening. It had been hacked larger. 
Paul may have some suggestions to make this CA slightly more competitive tractor in the low gear pulls?

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Nov 2023 at 11:16am
560Dennis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 560Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 1:51pm
nice tractor you got , I commend you on the rear tires ,my ,my friend well done 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic