This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis CA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis CA
    Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:57pm
Folks,
 So I was pulling tractors Saturday at our local fair. Fellow parked next to me ask when I was going to get a small tractor? He was setting on his old CA. He said his was for sale and I should make him a offer. I have seen the tractor many times pulling. It does a pretty good job. We discussed it and came to an agreement. I will go to review and maybe bring it home this week some time.
The owner is getting out of pulling. Guess I am getting into it?
Some details:
- Well it is a CA with a C narrow front end.
- right brake is not functioning
- hand clutch has been removed
- sterring is very loose and probably worn out
- Pretty good set of matched firestones on rear
- front tires are ok
- no charging system in place
- Moves and functions in all gears
- Has some oil leaks at front of engine
- Has custom exhaust pipe for sure!
- Rear rims are farmall lug type not AC. not rusted out.
- Rear rims are in good shape.
- He is pulling it in the 2500 lb class
- Has hydraulic pump removed
- it has a pulling hitch on the drawbar,
- Owner got third in the class that day.

So here is the plan if it comes home:
- Maybe adjust the exhaust pipe to something more conventional.
- Pull it in some light classes
- Have some fun
- let the grandson and great grandsons try it out.
- get a charging system functioning, probably 12 volt with a Denso alternator.

Will try to keep you upto date on this new addition.
Regards,
Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Oct 2022 at 8:43am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 8:01pm
custom exhaust... Clap   Thumbs Up
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:14pm
Custom exhaust???? Kinda looks like a bad case of whiskey d!ck

I'm sorry. I don't mean to rip on your tractor. I just couldn't help it
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:11pm
Does he have the pump and original wheels hanging around still? Not a terrible looking tractor, but definitely has a few modifications.

Is that a part of a wheel weight on the rear wheel?
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 6:21am
That's the front of a C tractor there
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 7:16am
Folks,
I am new to the CA versions for sure.
Paul, is the engine the same in a C and a CA. Owner said it was just the front end being changed from a wide front CA to the narrow front C?

Also looks like steering arm and pitman have seen way better days! But i guess I have seen worse.

Yes the custom exhaust has a bad case of the droops:)! Very functional just not very apealing to me.
Wheels I believe he said were shot and replaced with the IH lug style. I dont have much of a problem with those. Might work just dandy, and the rim portion has been widened a little so that fits in with the rest of our "Fat Bottom Girls"!

I will need to do some research on the brakes R&R. 
Probably Sandy Lake will be able to add another addition to a building!:)

BTW I broke the brake rod on our grandson's WD while pulling. Another adventure in Allis in Wonderland for sure!

Also I dont have a clue on the status of this engine? Its for sure got a good protective coating on the exterior. It does run, More to come. 

Thanks for the comments and support! I will need it!
 Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Oct 2022 at 7:45am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 6:01pm
Whiskey-dick...that there .. thats funny...thendrix.
Sugermaker, that CA took 3rd that day... with a little AC know how, you and your young-uns can have a good time for years to come. 
   The CA is one of my favorites.
Best of luck
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 8:18pm
Leon, Folks,
 Thanks. Will make a run at this tommorow if the weather is right. My friend Jim is dealing on a tractor for pulling also. Must be something in the water!?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 7:52am
Folks,
 The CA is home and have done a few mods on a couple things. You know the new toy syndrome!:)
Loaded up with Jack the previous owner:

In the shop for review. Oli pressure is good. oil looks clean, leaks just like all ther othe Allis tractors too!:

He told me it steers way farther one way that the other. Humm. The drag link had been cut and shortened. I found that to be more centered it needed to be extended about 4 inches. 
So and little cutting and welding and that was corrected. The ball joints are not good. The steering is VERY hard to turn while not moving. I did get another steering box, with it but not sure what the real problem is yet. Looking at C and CA pictures This is messed up pretty good!:)

She is a little chub compared to her big sisters the WD's!

Exhaust was the first thing to come off. This may not be final:

Tries are cracked from age, but in fair shape, Jack had widened the rims which are IH style. He found two more weights which are portions of IH weights about 40 lb each.

Looking forward to see how it does at the final pull of the season, coming up OCT 8:
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Sep 2022 at 7:58am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:07am
Chris, how is the manifold? I've had five 125 CI engines now, none had a serviceable one on it when it got here!
John426 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:14am
Hi

What is this?

John426 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:14am
Hi 

What is this?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:19am
That's the power maker resistor...
.. Keeps the points from burning when converted to 12 volts.
 Have fun Chris, those are snappy little engines.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 12:56pm
Your "Johnny Cash" CA has a mis-mash of many things. The odd steering is because of the "long arm" Steering box from a C with the "short arm" C front post. Find a CA post and steering box and then make sure things are "Timed" as per the service manual and it will steer the same both ways as when it left the factory.
 Consider adding a charging unit. Just having a battery for starting lowers available voltage for ignition.
 There isn't much difference in any of the CE engines that were use in the B.C & CA tractors. Basically the CA would have a higher RPM governor spring a slightly larger venturi that what was used for a B&C. Also the engines used in the CA would have a slightly higher compression. In stock form those engines will do very well with Grampa gear restrictions and near factory size tires as you have. However if you want more, your wallet is the only limit of what can be done. Here's how the CA I had would run in 3rd gear.

Edited by PaulB - 23 Sep 2022 at 12:58pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 1:10pm
what Paul said.......

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:17pm
Congrats Chris! Looks much better than my CA. I'm sure you'll get the steering sorted out in no time.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 7:34am
Paul, Folks,
So I see the short vs long front arm on the lower front. Mine looks like it is welded on to the shaft?? Doesnt look easy to change?? But I probably don't know what I am looking at yet either?:)
I dont know enough about these yet to know the difference in a C vs a CA sterring box? I did get an additional steering box and will have to take a picture of that too. 

Short term goal is to pull the Johnny Cash tractor at the local pull Oct 8. Well Maybe the grandson will pull it?

Currently I have a brake drum replacement project on our Grandsons WD. What a joy that is!:) I messed up the heating process on the new brake drum and will have to get another!
It cooled and got stuck about 3/4 of the way on to the shaft! I hate when that happens.

Hope things are good in orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Sep 2022 at 7:41am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 8:36am
Folks,
 My first pull with the CA was this past Saturday.  Only three pullers in the 2500 lb class. All three of us pulled 247 feet. I got second place missing first by about a inch or so. I have some work to do on the brakes for next year. It might have helped me keep out of a previous hole in the track? 
This was the only tractor that caught fire at the pull. Just minor around the exhasut manifold as I exited the track. Probably oil leak and acumulated dirt. Note to self might be good to have fire extingushers on all the tractors! :)

As we preped the track prior to the pull. Josh working his IH and chisel plows:

Getting to the rainy pull day:

My Allis team at the pull. CA, WZ and WD45:

I did get first in the 4000lb class with the WD45. About 10 tractors in that class. Track was just a little hard and I chjose to pull in second gear half throttle to stay under the 3.5 MPH speed limit. Had enough power left at the end to win by about 25 feet. Actually stalled out in the end.

Ruby and I resting (almost):

Oh I may have found a CA narrow front close by?? Will see if that happens. Very worn in the front end of this Johnny Cash tractor!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Oct 2022 at 8:04am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 8:02am
Folks,
 Grandson Nic stopped in last night and was very pleased with the CA! Took it for a drive around the yard. The smile says it all!

I did pressure wash a lot of the grease and grime off the engine and the green moss off sheetmetal too. 

Weather is much cooler!
Regards,
 Chris

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:38am
Smiles are always good ! Thanks for sharing .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 8:05am
Folks,
 Several general questions on the CA.

I would like, at sometime before next seson, to work on the brakes. I will have to do some research as to what to look for. Maybe they just need adjusted?? Any tips are welcome as the CA is a new Allis critter for me and I know the experts are on here.

Another thing is the engine question. This will probably never happen but I thought I had heard that larger tractor engines will bolt ut to a CA? Like D14 or D15? 
Not really looking to go crazy here but is something to think about. I know Paul has forgot way more than I will ever know about these tractors.

Right now my house restoration project has me in a headlock and I still have the brakes to complete on Nic's WD., And a engine to complete for the 32 Ford AAB truck.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Oct 2022 at 8:08am
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 8:48am
Generally I always install complete new bands. I rarely find bands worth relining due to rust and mouse pee. Often they will come out in 2 parts when force in needed. On the plus side the anchor pins are generally not as bad a WD/WD45/D17 pins. Don't bother with doing anything to the drums unless they are terribly gouged out.
 Any engine from a D10/12/14/15 will go in with little difficulty. It would depend on how cheap you can find one, as opposed to doing something with the current engine. Something close to 30 HP can be had from the CE block with a few custom parts. 60+ can be had if you can afford it. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 6:45pm
Paul, Folks,
Much to learn on the little Allis tractor. Thanks for your comments! I think of you when I have pulled the WD45 in second gear at several events and won the class. In those cases the track was hard to very hard, and the power to weight and balance was just about right. Most of these pulls the speed is limited to 3.5 MPH. So about half throttle is all thats needed till about 3/4 of the way down the track. 
Looking forward to getting into the CA tractor this winter. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Oct 2022 at 6:46pm
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 7:38pm
A CA with a 160cu from a series II D15 would be cool.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 2:47pm
If it turns sharper one way than the other you might be able to take the arm off of the steering box and move it one spline and make it center better. There's a screw on the starter side behind the starter that you can adjust to help with the slop .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 8:09am
Guys,
 Thanks, I probably wont find a series II D15 engine, but the concept is appropriate for a old pulling tractor. The steering modification I did to lenghten the drag link ballance the turing ability. But the tractor steers very hard!!. Something is not right on the box or the front end. And it has WAY too much slop in the "C" front end! Serious death wobble. 
Thanks for the hint on tightening up the box. 
I dont think you can move the arm on the box one click it has offset spline features that only allow it to go on one position.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Oct 2022 at 8:10am
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 10:24am
Chris,
Great lookin' CA!  With some work it'll work out great for ya. One of the first things you want to do when updating the Ignition system is to take that ballast resistor and throw it in the garbage. Install a internal resisted coil. Those resistors didn't work under the hood of a 60's Automobile, never mind out in the elements on a Tractor! If you're using that for pulling, toss an E.I. in the Distributor with a high output internal resisted Coil on the ole' girl.  That'll wake her up a little bit. And install a charging system....  Good Luck with your new toy!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:03pm
Steve,
Thanks Yes many potential upgrades could be done to improve this old tractor. One pull and had fun!
Hope to get time this winter to work on it too.
Thanks guys for checking in on me. Hope things are good in Orange land!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Oct 2022 at 7:03pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:48pm
jack the front tires an inch off the ground and then turn the steering wheel.. Look for the location of SLOP.. Remove one end of the steering rod and see if the HARD TURN is in the front end / gear box ...... or box under the gas tank.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 8:41am
Steve, Folks,
I did have it jacked up. Most of the slop seems to be in front spindle area. I will need to do some reasearch on that area for potential improvement. Just havent had time to work on any tractors with my house siding project and winter coming on fast!:)
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Oct 2022 at 7:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic