This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My newest favorite mistake. HD6G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:52am
Some progress here. Slowly getting the tracks unstuck, steering clutches still stuck. I'm not pushing them too hard, time and pressure usually works better. At least, unlike the bellhousing, they left the steering clutch compartment 'drain' plugs out. I did discover that I don't have a lot of boom down-force. I wasn't running the engine at a very high rpm as I don't have full coolant ( hose leak, waiting for oil-cooler gaskets) so I can only run for very short period. Manual describes possible a sticky spool valve part or broken/collapsed spring. I suppose a fella could have worse problems.......
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Sponsored Links

doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 5:09pm
Well, I have the new Tyrone HD7-G pump, my clutch complete and installed. Started it up, and tested the hydraulics, went from 750 PSI on old Hydreco to 1500 PSI. It made this pressure just above low idle. Had a lot going on, and tried to roll back the bucket to push against the tracks, and my main hydraulic hose blew, sending a fountain of clean, expensive fluid all over me and everything within 15 feet. Old pump was definitely shot! Hose probably would have blown eventually in a less-convenient location, but still should have backed off the relief valve completely before testing a 'new' pump. Anyway, I set the trans in reverse, and locked back the free right steering clutch, and sort of 'leaned' the clutch against the stuck left clutch. To my surprise, the tractor started moving backwards, quite easily. I sort of bumped the clutch against that steering clutch a few times, and it freed up, a little shuddering was felt. Engaged both clutches, and the machine will roll itself backwards quite nicely, with engine barely above low idle. Still amazed at how much torque these engines make. Last main hyd hose I had made was for my 7G and cost 220$, 10 years ago. Major PITA to remove, as I recall. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 11:54pm
You get her all sewed up, she will be fun to run. I had several and enjoyed them. I even got the 1 grandson operating the last one.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 10:14am
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

You get her all sewed up, she will be fun to run. I had several and enjoyed them. I even got the 1 grandson operating the last one.
Thanks. I haven't yet ran one with all the manual levers....looks like a job for a octopus. Everything is ready as soon as I can get that left steering clutch loose. SmileIt spun once while the tracks were really frozen, but it won't budge now. At least if it smokes, I will be able to remove it. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 5:10pm
Any of you guys ever repair  the sheet metal muffler on this HD344 motor. If so, I'd be interested in how you did it and what materials were used. This thing is so loud and exhaust pours out of everywhere except the stack. Plus, I don't like exposing exhaust valves to cold air intrusion or rain water. The 'car muffler' part of it is not very thick, and I have noTongue problem with welding. Also wouldn't mind putting a iron manifold on it if I could find one that costs less than the tractor. Tongue
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 7:03pm
Well, a month or so of being submerged in diesel fuel, and a little hammering, and the steering clutch finally unseized from the drum so I could remove it. The entire center of the clutch was stuffed with shredded carpet and mouse .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 11:24am
Three or four days soaking the entire clutch pack in hydrochloric acid, and was able to separate the clutch discs. They look like they were nearly new. I replaced all the steels, and springs. Installed grease hoses on the t/o bearing while I was in there. At least I saved the drum $$. That mouse pee, over time, becomes a good imitation of epoxy. Used new brake bands L and R from SC.com. My tractor is now ready to move dirt, but it's rained every day for what seems like a month, and this black Missouri topsoil likes to sink tractors. Still, even with replacing steering clutch and main clutch, I'm still under my $6,000 budget, and can lift, push, or crush anything on my ranch. 
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 3:54pm
Nice Work ~ Orangeman
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:33am
Way to go guy.   I sometimes wish I hadn't traded my last 1 off, but since my left arm went bad, I couldn't work on it. I hope you have fun running the old gal.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

Way to go guy.   I sometimes wish I hadn't traded my last 1 off, but since my left arm went bad, I couldn't work on it. I hope you have fun running the old gal.
  The main clutch was the worst part, one or two good arms. My big belly didn't help at all.....Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic