This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Repowered 8010 Tractor:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repowered 8010 Tractor:
    Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 2:40pm
Original engine let go with a bang and was repowered with a B5.9T Cummins set at 180hp. Original owner and tractor sold new at this dealership. Always serviced here also.

It's in again for routine service and air conditioner work which I think is just a plugged condensor coil. 

Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 3:54pm
More engine install pics please !!!  Going to do a 7020 and where to put the AC compressor is a question I've got. Is your engines backplate just 1/2" thick ?? or is it double thick ?? Power Shift  ??

Edited by DrAllis - 27 Jun 2022 at 3:55pm
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 4:43pm
That has to make just about the perfect tractor! I love my AC engines, but you cannot beat the little mighty 5.9L B series!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 7:19pm
Would love to see more. I should do this with my 7010. Got a 5.9 sitting here.
Learning AC...slowly
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 7:46pm
Was the original 8010engine wound up like the older 7080's ?
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Was the original 8010engine wound up like the older 7080's ?
8010 had a 301 in it. 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 6:43am
I'll see if I can get by today and open the tractor up for photos. Any specific areas you need to see for close up photos?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 7:29am
No. Just a general right and left side pics. Power Shift tranny ??
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

[QUOTE=FREEDGUY]Was the original 8010engine wound up like the older 7080's ?
8010 had a 301 in it. 
[/QUOTE
Thanks Charlie
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 7:29pm
8010 had the 301, but was about twice the weight of a One Eighty, 1/3 of the weight of a 190 XT- which it fit fine - in my opinion
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 8:16pm
A bare 180 diesel weighed 6700 lbs, no weights or fluid. A bare 190 XT diesel weighed 7950 lbs no weights or fluid. Both had 18.4 rear rubber. An 8010 power shift weighed 12,600 no weights or fluid and 18.4 rubber.  A 7010/8010 needs no extra fluid or weights on the rear. They are heavy enough as-is. The other two tractors had to have rear fluid to even begin to pull a plow.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 5:39am
Never had one but judging from comments, the 7020 or 8010 was pushing the limits with the 301. 426 set at 110 hp would have been a better fit. But that is just my opinion.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 7:55am
We have an 8010 power shift, we love it. It is hooked to a Hardi 650 gallon sprayer and that's all it does. It will spray close to 3000 acres this year. It uses very little fuel. It's perfect for what we do with it.
Leon BMo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 3:54pm
subscribing for science
automaticdave View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote automaticdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 9:14am
I've taken a bit of an intrest in this post, is this B series 5.9 cummins a 12 valve engine and is the engine that is in some of the 100 horse + case ih tractors or the dodge pu's ? thanks Dave
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 9:21am
Originally posted by automaticdave automaticdave wrote:

I've taken a bit of an intrest in this post, is this B series 5.9 cummins a 12 valve engine and is the engine that is in some of the 100 horse + case ih tractors or the dodge pu's ? thanks Dave

Truck engines are governed differently than a commercial/ag engine.  
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by coggonobrien coggonobrien wrote:

Originally posted by automaticdave automaticdave wrote:

Truck engines are governed differently than a commercial/ag engine.  

This engine was pulled from a 1990 Dodge D-250 pickup truck but the injection pump and nozzles were sent in for testing/calibration. I don't know what was done but can ask the owner.  
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 2:30pm
someone did a nice job swapping the VE fuel system to the Bosch A pump with RSV governor. The entire front cover would have had to be replaced. The VE used on the 5.9L in the Dodge pickups is indeed a variable speed governor and would work just fine in a tractor. I would have guessed they bought a complete industrial engine already equipped with the inline pump. Don't see too many A pump 5.9's out there. The A pump will bolt on in place of a VP44, though gear needs changed. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:54pm
I did speak with the owner today on this tractor and the engine was not original to the pickup truck it was pulled from. It was a reman purchased used when the original engine "let go". Something about a/the "killer" dowel pin in the original engine. No idea as to it's origins but he did nothing but drive the truck till it lost the transmission and wasn't cost effective to repair.

I know I've seen the inline pump in a truck before and think it was an FL-60 series Freightliner, but it's been several years in the mid 2000's. 

I can find out more if wanted but he was out doing hay work today so didn't have a lot of time to talk.  
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 9:08pm
The inj. pump looks a lot like what was on late 1989 -> Champion 710A motorgrader using Cummins 5.9L. The Case W 14 B loader also used the 5.9L with inline pump. 
 That should make a nice improvement in power, looks nice in the picture. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 7:35am
This tractor is back in for air conditioning work and I'll get the photos you were wanting. I did look at it and the engine mounting is nothing fancy with a simple "L" bracket used on the sides of the engine for the front mounting. The A/C compressor is mounted high and pretty much centered over the rocker covers at the front. I did not notice anything special about the rear mounting as it looks to be an SAE mount but is dirty so not really clear. No doubling of a rear plate for certain. I forgot to jump into the cab to see if power shift or not. 

I need to haul a large tractor for them Tuesday so will grab photos then. 
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

I did speak with the owner today on this tractor and the engine was not original to the pickup truck it was pulled from. It was a reman purchased used when the original engine "let go". Something about a/the "killer" dowel pin in the original engine. No idea as to it's origins but he did nothing but drive the truck till it lost the transmission and wasn't cost effective to repair.

I know I've seen the inline pump in a truck before and think it was an FL-60 series Freightliner, but it's been several years in the mid 2000's. 

I can find out more if wanted but he was out doing hay work today so didn't have a lot of time to talk.  

Killer dowel pin, or KDP as it is referred too is referring to a dowel pin that drives into the front face of the block to locate the timing gear housing. The hole in the housing is open and over time the dowel pin can come loose, work it’s way out of the hole, and fall into the timing gears. When it wedges itself between 2 gears while the engine is running all holy he!! breaks loose, usually ruins the case, cover, and a bunch of gears. 

Numerous fixes for this and they are all simple. Some green loctite  the dowel pin in, some make a washer that goes under a bolt that is right next to this dowel pin. Washer covers the hole so if the pin comes loose it cannot fall into the gear train. 

Edited by DonDittmar - 10 Jul 2022 at 8:34am
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 8:58am
Yes those KDPs became a problem when the engine were used at higher powers in later years. I have a 89 and haven't had a problem yet 🤞. That truck has never had the pump touched and now has near 300K on it.  I did the 93 engine after 250K when I pulled it to put into the Oliver. It was still tight and had not moved. That pump had also never been touched up to that point. The VE pump was used on the first 89s until the end of the 93 models. The inline P7100 pumps were used from 94 on until the common rail injection started. 
  The KDP seem to become an issue when the 94s came out and those that played with the pumps on earlier ones. I suppose the heat cool cycles became extreme when pushed hard and caused that issue. There was a lot of coverage in the TDR magazine through out the mid 90s. Genos Garage has a simple kit with a tab to cover the end on the dowel pin. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 12:32pm
The P7100 was used from 94 to early 98, when the 24 Valve came out in mid 98, it was not common rail, but had the famous VP44 electronic Bosch rotary pump. The VP44 was used through 02. 2003 is when the Common rail came out on the Cummins. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 12:35pm
Here are a few photos Dr. Allis asked for. Tractor is back in for another problem which is shown in the last couple of photos:

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 1:38pm
Thank you for your hard work on the pics. I see one of the starter mounting bolts is outside the bellhousing just a little, which won't take much to fix our 7020 backplate to have that feature.  Hope to have our rear plate adapter done in maybe a couple of weeks to see how things fit.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:44pm
It appears they have traded in another AC with a repower. I'm told it is a Cat transplant so I'd think a 3116 engine. I've seen the tractor but not with the covers off so I really don't know anymore yet. I'll grab photos when in next however. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 9:00am
I stopped in this morning to get some photos of this tractor. If the one I was told was a repower, it is not. It is an 8050 series but has an AC engine installed. Looks like a 3500 series to me but I didn't look at any tags. Maybe there is another tractor also but it's not on the property. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 7:52pm
Looks like this repowered 8010 is being traded in on a new T7-275 New Holland tractor at work. They are having trouble sourcing the correct hydraulic pump for the 8010.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 8:28pm
Any N-series combine hyd pump can be made to fit on that 8010.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic