This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 diesel heavy smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJNICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 diesel heavy smoke
    Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:34am
Hi guys. I’m new to Allis tractors and I have acquired what I believe to be late 60s model D15 series II diesel. I want to get it running good to use in the hay fields this year. We had it running a few months ago and it was putting off a ton of black smoke and didn’t seem to have much power. Is that gonna be due to an injector issue (stuck)?   If I pull it in the shop and start digging into it is there anything I need to be aware of?   Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 6:13pm
First off, they were only 35 HP on a good day. I would highly suggest that you fully check out the air cleaner or maybe even disconnect it for testing purposes. Lack of AIR is the first thing you have to determine before you do anything else. When they are working hard, they will smoke and fairly heavy by today's modern diesel standards.
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:56am
Black smoke: As stated already, not enough air and to much fuel.
check for air restrictions, valve clearance, bad fuel and pump timing.
start with the easiest things first.

Good luck. Dan  
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:54pm
X3. Sounds like maybe a bird nest or mouse nest has been built inside the engine’s intake air somewhere(outdoor air breather? Air filter? Engine intake manifold?,etc)

Welcome to the AC forum!

Edited by AC7060IL - 24 May 2022 at 12:56pm
SJNICK View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJNICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 1:26pm
I have checked the air intake (what you can see when you take the filter out) and all filters too. Everything looks good. I guess next step is to take the intake loose from the engine and check that side.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 5:43pm
If it is a dry type air filter, just leave it out and try it.
tractorboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 12:33pm
Can't help you with the diesel, but welcome to the forum ! I'm just south of you in Halifax co. Good luck with the 15  ! keith so. va.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic