This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought a post driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a post driver
    Posted: 13 May 2022 at 4:08am
Is used but only to set a few post then placed in shed as owner bought a skid steer that came with loader mount driver. Is a Shaver 8H
Last few years the commercially available wood post just do not stand test of time, corners leaning, rotted off at grade and either penta or even creosote treated. Previous renter did me no favors replacing a line of fence angle cut top of post and basically cut away creosote seal.

Have to make some calls as were a few steel shops that sold worn out drill stem pipe and sucker rod relatively close by. Will be setting steel pipe at stress points, corners, curves and long length reinforcements.

EDIT:

Long story Longer and MORE Boring, As we have a renter on our place they were SUPPOSED to be maintaining these fence, are strung pretty thin these days where have little time to do what HAS to be done daily and my fences are showing the distress.  Not belittling the renters as they are working hard but their lack of time to get things done is wearing thin on my own patience.  Texted as to some of their calves getting Out and got a response back that "Your Fence Corner Post are rotted off, fences are sagging so calves are getting out", pretty well pushed the fence work BACK to me.  We do not make a Killing on their rent as does only make property taxes giving us a tax break, do know the prices of beef are still low where expenses are rising fast, but if make a written agreement to tend fence then need to tend fence or stop renting.

They are just trying to make a living I am aware, but have expanded cropland faming, have numerous livestock rental farms, are now into sheep to make better money, farms are scattered across four counties so from morning to deep dark these guys are busting hump just to get numbers counted, feed dispersed, inoculations made, bulls rotated and calves weaned to then be hauled for sale, planting has just opened up from being so wet, got to be hard tours.

Edited by DMiller - 13 May 2022 at 5:21am
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 2:16pm
JMO- They are trying to make a living , keep expanding into a loss- I understand farming and luv it , but sometimes makes no sence ! Anyway, I have a hard time with steel corner posts, I know it faster and simple , but dang you cant stretch the wire a little with a steeple , as to the renters they will put you off longer,, 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

JMO- They are trying to make a living , keep expanding into a loss- I understand farming and luv it , but sometimes makes no sence ! Anyway, I have a hard time with steel corner posts, I know it faster and simple , but dang you cant stretch the wire a little with a steeple , as to the renters they will put you off longer,, 

On stretching, Have to pull taut, then Wrap wire to tie around Post, cut Chain Links make good weld on closable wire eyes, back wrap wire and as loosens over time those little J Hook tighteners are worth their weight in time saving.
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:00pm
Have you got a pic of that?

I'd like to put a steel corner in...
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:13pm
Will have when set first post!!

Cousin of mine and wife's boss both use steel at corners, driven not drilled and set in concrete.  Use either cut chain links or nuts and does not matter bolt size welded to pipe.  Gate Pivots holes get pre drilled all way thru in drill press to keep square.  For those post know will have sucker rod braces pre drill before pound into ground, slight oversize hole so can set rod in one post and then slip into the other weld in place.  Or can cut to length and surface weld.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic