This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a "new" loader & live hydraulics to my D17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 11:59am
Fine workmanship!
I am wondering though how you kept your white shoes so clean?
Sponsored Links

Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 7:23am
You caught me! I had my photo-taking shoes on. Here's the normal work-in-the-shop shoes. Liberal application of orange paint, dirt, grease, epoxy, and I think there is a little wood stain on them too!

Edited by Morpar55 - 29 Jun 2022 at 7:44am
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 7:42am
As usual I didn't find time to post anything, so here are a couple of days of catch-up. On Friday June 24th I started off by painting the new steps.

Once I had the steps painted and out of the way it was time to start on the hydraulic reservoir. I had spent some time making a cardboard template to check clearances (including front axle articulation) to determine the final size and shape of the reservoir. Thanks to my youngest son I had a box from a 55" TV which was great. All heavy corrugated cardboard, great for making templates and prototypes, almost makes me want to go buy a new TV just for the box! Anyway, the final design will hold around 7 gallons of oil with a good head space. I made my cut list and started in with the angle iron and flat plate. I started making the bottom and working my way up. 

The bottom has a weld-on bung for using a 3/4" pipe magnetic drain plug. 

Since I don't have a metal brake I am building this using angle iron for the exoskeleton with plate on the inside, except for the top. This way I can run a weld bead on both the inside and outside to prevent leaks. At least that's my plan, we'll see how it goes!

Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 8:08am
Monday the 27th dawned with me having almost nothing on my calendar for the day, so lots of progress was made. All 3 ends and the back were added, as well as the suction port and the inlet port. I also discovered a slight problem which was solved with a clamp or 2. I got the remaining pieces of angle welded onto the framework and then made the end with the inlet. Just like on the bottom I had to notch out the angle due to the narrow design of this reservoir.

Next I did the small end where the suction port goes. The strainer I purchased uses a 2" pipe thread to screw in so I used a larger weld-in fitting than before. It had enough of a lip on the inside I welded it inside too.

I had made a trip last week to the business which is going to bend all of my new lines and make the hoses to get the bend radius on the various sizes of tubing and to make sure if we needed to order fittings they would have time to arrive. This helped a bunch during design to know what clearances would be needed for the lines to reach AND stay out of the way. Once the last difficult end was done I added the last end and then the back side. This is where the clamps came into play. I "knew" what size this tank is supposed to be, but when I started measuring to confirm for the back side I was about 5/8" longer than it should be. I had already welded up the frame for the top and found I could use a pair of pipe clamps to get things back the way they should be. Mostly. I wasn't real happy about the way the top framework fit, but figured some more clamps later on would take care if it. Anyway, a couple of pipe clamps and some cutting, fitting, and welding and the back was in place.

Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 8:53am
Tuesday morning my plan was to get the reservoir all buttoned up and ready for leak testing. Well, I got more work done, but not to that point. Since all but the front side panel was installed it was time to go to work on the interior. First the floor was added. I cut a piece of steel to fit along the entire interior and then notched it out to act as a baffle and slow down the oil flow. Once the floor was in I added the incoming line and plumbed it, since there will be no way to do it once the tank is finished. I used a 3/4" galvanized street L and 10" nipple to make the inlet. Once it was all put together next was adding the upright baffle. I left it 2" short of the front of the tank and I also had to notch it to clear the filler screen and the incoming pipe I had just added.

At this point I wanted to add my mounting points while I still have some access to the interior. I rigged up where I wanted the tank to go and started looking for decent places to anchor it. I left 1" of clearance between the tank and the frame to allow the pressure line from the pump to be run out of harm's way. 

To be honest I got really lucky on my mounting points! There was a 5/8" tapped hole at each end which worked out perfectly with some 2" angle iron. The back side hole is one of the mounting bolts for the loader frame, and the other will be part of the protection for the pump (still to be made). 

Once the hydraulic lines are run I plan to add some 1" square tubing between the frame and tank to help support the tank more and keep it from flexing. At this point I took the tank off, welded up the brackets, and went to work on the top. I had already cut and welded up the top framework, so I cut a piece of steel for the top and welded it on (strange, the angle iron seems to be wider at one end than the other) then went to the drill press and used a hole saw for the filler hole. After confirming the screen will fit I laid out the holes for the mounting bolts and drilled and tapped them. Great! Fantastic! 

So let's fit the top onto the rest of the tank and figure out where to make clearance for the sight glass and measure for the final side panel. Now, I knew on the front side it would need a clamp to account for the bowing I discovered before. No problem! We're getting some work done today! Once I had used 4 clamps and 2 hammers I had this:

Kind of a large gap, but workable. This doesn't have to be pretty. Oh, then there's the other end...

OUCH!! Well now what to do??? Curse words flowing like water!! Well, I may as well put the steps on and then go shower and have a couple of cold adult beverages!

Follow up; after a couple of adult beverages and some conversation I decided I will go ahead and get the front side clamped and on size, install the front panel, then remake the top. At this point I will be out a little bit of steel, but I think I will spend more time trying to fix it than to just make a new one. 
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 6:37pm
So it has been a while since I updated this project page. I got busy with other things, I had a company do a crappy job making and installing hard hydraulic lines, we lost internet for a month, and I screwed up having a pump guard made! But progress has been made, so here we go trying to play catch up. So I forgot to take any pictures of the new top for the hydraulic reservoir, in fact I forgot to take pictures at all until it was all welded together!

I had to notch out the top to clear the sight glass/temperature gauge.

I added some angle to the back to hang over the frame. This should reduce the potential twisting on the mounting tabs and make it easier to install the reservoir. Once all of the lines are run I will add a couple of pieces of 1" square tubing to contact the lower part of the frame to eliminate the chances of twisting. Next up was primer and then paint. Suffice to say I missed pics with paint, but I did get primer!

After I had everything primed I did a full water test and found there was some seepage. I ended up getting a gas tank sealer kit and used it following the directions. It ended up taking 4 days to install. The first day was to clean the inside of the tank, second day was to use an acid etch, third day was to let it get good and dry from rinsing out the etch, and the forth was to apply the sealer. Since I have yet to add oil to the reservoir I can't confirm it is sealer, but one of the guys I used to work with builds custom motorcycles on the side and he swears by this stuff! Once the sealing was all done I painted the reservoir orange and installed the suction side strainer, sight glass, and filler cap. After another day I installed the reservoir and was ready to go to get the hard lines made and installed. 
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 6:55pm
The hydraulic line install was a huge pain. I had to trailer the tractor about 20 miles away after I went and rented a trailer. It was bleeding hot, my truck no longer has A/C, the transmission was acting up, and the morning traffic was stupid but we got there. To make a long story short even though I had taken pictures of what I wanted done and conversing with the owners about this whole project they backed out less than half way through! I did manage to get them to at least finish the pressure line from the pump to the valve pack, but they did a crappy job of running the portion up by the axle. They did recommend another company to finish the job, and they actually do this kind of work! The only problem is I have had to wait about a month to get in. I went and talked to the owner (showed him pictures too) and he assured me they do what I want regularly. In fact he had another D17 sitting outside they were doing similar work on, so I feel I will be in good hands.
   After I got the tractor home I started working on a pump guard. I know how I am, and if I don't put something up there now I will have after I break the current pump! Unfortunately I was an idiot and made a cardboard template with the bad plumbing in place. Then I measured the angles and length and made a drawing to send to a local shop to bend out of 3/8" think steel. When I got the guard I about came unglued. There was no way it would even come close to fitting! I checked the part against my drawing and lo and behold they matched! All my fault on this one, and another lesson re-learned. So I grabbed some 3/8" plywood, took off the hard lines, dug out some hinges and made an extremely ugly template.

All told I spent maybe an hour making this template and a better drawing to go with it. It took almost a week to get this made (I had them drill the mounting holes and took them the template) but I got exactly what I wanted.

The work was done by Advanced Repair and Machining in Lafayette, Indiana. They also sell steel in the smaller quantities I need. Very good people to do business with! I checked all of my clearances with the loader, marked where I need a notch on the right side, and took the guard off for cleaning, primer, and paint. Hopefully I will have this all installed tomorrow and ready to go when I get the call to bring the tractor up for the rest of the hydraulic lines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic