This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pre planned funerals ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre planned funerals ?
    Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 2:42pm
As I get older been thinking of this option so nobody has to deal with this , as I have had to do 2-  people Ive talked to say that you buy it today and when you die , then the more $$$$ comes in --- another scam --- and the family has to pay almost that over because of increased prices etc ,, heck you can buy coffins on Ebay for $600,, but the funeral home wants $2000 for a base - seems that is a very lucretive bussiness
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 3:02pm
We bought our final resting places 30+ years ago, $750 each.
Ironic you mentions this, lost my mom 36 years ago today
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 3:18pm
Our family has Eternal Care at a Cemetery in Wilburton IL, moneys that are paid to buy plots or resting places are placed in as high  and yet Low Risk investments as can where the interest is supposed to pay for maintenance of grounds and such.  Each burial regardless when bought has a Fee as the labor to dig the grave and place the vault.  My parents one grandmother and several others opted for Cremation where a Digger comes out uses a Split Handle Post hole digger sets the cremains at 3' and covers the hole, almost painless but still a expense.

My younger Brother and I will be interred next our Mother's Cremains, the site is allowed to have up to six.  Older brother is to be interred next to his twin(His was Full Burial), others in that side of family bought plots there yet may never use them as moved Far enough away to not care.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 7:07pm
I agree with you Doug one of the bigger scams going is the funeral business. But had good luck with the prepayment business. My FIL made arrangements for his mother, his wife, and himself at a private cemetery/mortuary company that has since been bough by the Dignity Health network. I think he did it when his dad dyed, but I was not around to know. But all 4 are in a row.

Dignity tried adding in more cost but I was prepared to contest it knowing my FIL would not of gone half way on paying. But they "checked further records and had made a mistake" . I guess they read my mind by body language. The MIL was signed up for full on open gasket, which my wife is not in favor of. We offered to let that slide, as they had embalmer's off on medical leave and shipped the body a 130 miles to another facility and back to do it. Something about it is in the contract she had signed, so had to do it all or the state would come after them.

So maybe in some states they are not watched to close.

Being cheap we signed a pre payment for cremation.  All three of our kids know at least 2 of them will be after the company if they try anything. Unless they can disappear all together.  They are currently all over the USA and a lot of the rest of the world. I think it reads they will cremate us anywhere we go and bring ashes home to family. 

Hay the "green movement" is bring back roll you in a sheet and dump you in a hole end of story. Since greenies think cremation is to polluting, I am liking it more and more.  Had a cousin into that way of thinking, working for a older friend of hers. The old women had owned property and that is legal here apparently on your own property or a cemetery that agrees. But had gifted it to children that did not want her body on their property. Just guessing but I think they  where worried it would make it worth less at sale time.

So if cremation company goes belly up and escapes, we have a son that can run a backhoe and make us disappear.  
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 7:19pm
I forgot to note, in MO is illegal to PUBLICLY discharge Cremains to any water body or waterway or from a aircraft, "PUBLICLY".  So my kin knowing my typical wants, are set to send me adrift and in peace then bury the empty container at the cemetery, I prefer to be a loose piece of dust in the wind than to rot underground, they all agreed.  I have a good bottle of hooch stashed Just For That Day, so they can toast me a Good Bye.

Edited by DMiller - 02 Apr 2022 at 7:20pm
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:04pm
One of my dental friends passed away last year. He spent a lot of time hunting in the Adirondacks so he was cremated and they got a plane and went up to scatter the ashes. Guess the pilot was going to fast or they did something wrong and the ashes flew back in the plane and all over them. No one knew what to say. Then the widow busted up laughing." Guess I will never get your father out of my hair now"
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 9:18pm
I paid $25 for my family sized plot at the little country church I went to growing up. They are not in it for the money that's for sure. The funeral home can wait on their money and I have enough life insurance that the family can do as they please as I won't be care'n.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 9:09am
gonna be cremated and the ashes throwed into the wind to carry all of me out into a lake we have always enjoyed camping at!
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 10:11am
Best advice is give copies of all prepaid arrangements to your kids, my Mom paid for hers back in 1992 when my Dad died, she didn't pass until three years ago. this was back when everything was on paper, not computers, funeral home couldn't find he papers in the filing cabinets they had moved down to their storage area. I provided them with a copy of my originals, the owners sons had to look at them for a while unhappily as I pointed out that
it was spelled out that this was payment in full no matter how long she lived. Phrasing of no increases or added fees or charges was spelled out and signed by their father. they did comment that we were getting a deal, my brother assured them that their Dad made good money on here prepayment over the 30 years. Her 92 prices for cremation were $170, urn was $60, burying her urn next to dad was $50, I'd hate to price it in today's money.
Not sure how the story would have gone if I didn't have her originals!

Edited by JoeM(GA) - 04 Apr 2022 at 10:11am
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 1:14pm
   When you make prearrangements like that around here the funeral home invest the money and the contract say all cost is paid in full. I have heard of undertakers returning money to the families.
We had a tax man that recommended that we take our life insurance money we had invested and prepay for our funerals. That's what my wife and I done 10 or 12 years ago. I had already bought a pair of graves when I took care of the cemetery. It's a law in Ohio that you can not make a profit of the sale of graves, if you want to sell them they are sold at the price paid for them.
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 8:30pm
Doug, Go talk with Nathan at Morton's in Linn.  H is one fine Honest young gentleman !
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 9:00am
Your right Ron , have worked with him on my late wife's funeral
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 9:39pm
My wife saw to it her moms funeral was paid for several years before her mom passed away. The law here states, once money changes hands for this service. The funeral home must honor the deal. Saved her a grand.
adam667 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam667 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 6:09am
Realy convinient - removes a tone of stress for family i will do that when get older for now i dont have permament place of living but when i do thats for sure gonna be on my list to do. Def gonna go for cremation Becouse i  most likley gonna end far from rest of my family so transport gonna be easier
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 7:11am
Spoke with the Cemetery where our Folks and Mom's side Grands with those great Aunts and uncles were interred.  Mom and Dad were cremated, buried using a post hole split handle three feet down.  Was explained those two plots are allowed SIX Cremains burials as of that event., Grandmother was cremated, her side of their plot is allowed Two More.  Brothers plot is a full burial, but has a second Grave Site with it, my older brother and a nephew are to have their cremains interred there.

Wife and I spoke as to our remains, she noted we will likely no longer live in MO by that time and will most likely just have our cremains interred in a small cemetery wherever we end up.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 8:20am
Funny this topic appeared again- a couple months ago my Moms brother passed away, her Mom had everything paid for years ago- prepaid, at the church they actually said that it was going to cost another 1300 because when they tried to revive this man it expaned his chest so had to get a bigger coffin- I stayed quiet but thought - a bunch of GDAM BS,, Mom + Dad are older and agreed, but I do believe it was all about the $$$$$$$$$
adam667 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam667 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 2:41am
that was totally for money i would not be surprised if they makes excuse like that for more peoples - check maybe someone else has exact same complains about them
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:52am
My lots were bought 30+ years ago, bought & placed stone summer 2019, cemetery approved urn and such all paid for & receipt says paid in full & is paper clipped to my will, also cash to cover cremation and some for travel & some living expense of nieces is in my safety deposit box.  I've tried to have a lot of things done ahead, hope it works. 
 Then the fun begins, the nieces get to figure out how to settle an estate; if to keep & manage or to sell my land, then the disposal of my shop equipment, farm equipment, vehicles, and house in town. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 1:04pm
When my uncle passed a few years ago, his ashes were buried at the National Cemetery in Rittman, Ohio.  I went back for his funeral.  I don't know how long the honor guard serves at that location, hopefully not too long, would be kind of depressing after a while I'd think. Almost all of the lawn care machines and side by sides used at the place were Kubota, kind of a poke to those who fought the Japanese 80+ years ago.  They had a ride on post hole auger for the cremation hole digging, I think it was made in the USA   

Edited by JohnColo - 01 Jun 2023 at 1:06pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 1:44pm
You know John, I guess there’s more than one way to look at that. I had the honor of knowing a man captured very early in the war in the Philippines. Bataan death March, starved, beaten, tortured, went blind. He never forgave the Japanese hi whole life, and I don’t blame him one bit. On the other hand, we won that war and made Japan a different nation. At some point we should move on and be happy about our relationship with them. Maybe those guys should be proud of making the world a better place at the time to the point we do business together.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 3:20pm
Cousin had his plot paid for and the gravestone put up years before he passed at the family church cemetery. We were there for another family members funeral. My young nephew noticed no flowers on cousins grave, so he put one on it. Pointed nephew out to cuz and he made a point to thank him
ThomasHaynes View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasHaynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 7:23am
Planning ahead can ease the burden on loved ones. But you're right, some funeral services can seem overpriced. It's essential to research and be informed about all the costs involved. And wow, $2000 for a basic coffin does sound steep! Checking out more affordable options like those on eBay is a smart idea. It's all about finding a balance between honoring our loved ones and not breaking the bank. Speaking of which, considering something like a footstone grave marker might be a thoughtful way to remember someone without the high costs. Take care!

Edited by ThomasHaynes - 27 Aug 2023 at 3:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic