This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC-B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC-B
    Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 9:09am
I have AC B with a step on the left side of the tractor by the clutch. It's pretty difficult getting on and off the tractor with the one step.  Does anybody have a different type of step or a different way to get on/off the tractor? It's almost easier getting on from the back, but getting off is not. Maybe old guys that aren't too flexible anymore shouldn't be driving these older smaller units.Cry 
Sponsored Links

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 4:24pm
As long as I can remember we've all ways gotten on the B from the back. Grandfather bought it new in 48.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 4:32pm
All the steps i have seen are a single step.. You could build or have built a two step unit.. To make it work, you have to start with the right foot FIRST so you end up with your left foot on the 2x2 bar or transmission, so you can swing your right foot around and under the steering wheel...... it might be an advantage to have a small platform behind the brake pedal so you could PIVOT better into position..

There are a couple guys on here that make steps... I bet one of them could make you a double if you dont want to do yourself.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 4:34pm
Easier --> install a Monroe-type seat assembly and climb up from back off the drawbar.

The B bench seat with fenders has a reputation for being tough on/off.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 5:38pm
I have to fight over the back on all of my B's too,--thats why they never get used,--same with the C's. Ole body not flexible enough any more! lol!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:33pm
I always found it was nice to have the plow drawbar or another piece of mid mounted equipment on a B or C to use instead of an OldFartStep. I'm 60+ and can still get on one without an extra step, same for the CA. Doesn't matter from the front or rear, either way is no issue. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:42am
One B I have has a bench seat but also a B/C mower. The other five have pan seats so I can get on from the rear of the tractor.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:08am
Yeah, getting on a B with the bench seat is a little awkward to say the least. Especially when you have short legs!  LOL! I usually get on my B from the rear draw bar grabbing the steering wheel and pulling myself up. And you're right, when you're not a limber as you were in the earlier years, sometimes it gets to be a challenge.   Embarrassed
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:39am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

I always found it was nice to have the plow drawbar or another piece of mid mounted equipment on a B or C to use.

Right, the plows, the mower or the cultivators make it easier to mount a B.

My Dad used to leave the plow drawbar on most of the time. Not only did it make it easier for him to get on, it also provided a place on each side for both my brother and I to stand when traveling back and forth to the fields.
JSHIVERS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSHIVERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 4:39pm
Hi Stanley,

I have a Woods mower deck on my B and use it to me help get on usually.
As for getting off, I swing my legs around and put my butt on the rear
tire or occasionally step down on the draw bar.  I like to mix it up to keep
it interesting!  I'm no spring chicken either and flexibility isn't what it once
was, but it doesn't keep me from noodling around on the old Allis.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 6:39am
I wonder if a CA Seat and platform could be used on a B?
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 2:44pm
Kinda sorta, depending on how much you want to farmerize it. A CA is wider between the fender rails than a B or C. The PTO on the CA has the shock mount for the bottom of the CA shock absorber and the CA have a different ratio in the gearing to go with a faster engine speed. 
  If you can't get onto a B or C, just get yourself a CA and have a lot more tractor. 

Edited by PaulB - 27 Jan 2022 at 2:44pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 6:55am
My B has mounted cultivators on it, so I use them as the steps, I did add a step to my CA and it has made it much easier.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 10:00am
Grandpa had a B on his 20 acre retirement farm. As a kid I said to myself, "How the H*** am I supposed to get on and off this thing" Rode it down a hill backwards once being pulled by a hopper wagon with too much oats. Checked my shorts and took the long way around.
Maybe 5-6 years ago come across a B with Woods mower, Completely overhauled, painted, and new rubber. Bought for $825.00 !!! Couldn't get on and off that one at 68 any better than Grandpa's  when I was 8. Sold it to a young man for $1750.00
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 11:49am
Steve he said steps not step ladder .LMAO 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
conservationmN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conservationmN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 11:40am
Here is a video on how to get on an allis b. No info on how to get off!!
Wally

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by conservationmN conservationmN wrote:

Here is a video on how to get on an allis b. No info on how to get off!!
Wally

Please don't allow him to start the tractor standing in front of the back tire like that. One of our neighbors was killed a few years ago doing that. If someone leaves it in gear and it starts.... 
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 2:31pm
Neighbor here started his in front of the wheel while it was in gear, didn't run over him but knocked him down and continued on through the garage wall knocking it down into the mud room shoving her brand new washer & dryer in the mud room into the back side of the kitchen wall before he got ahold of it and shut it down,, didn't do a thing to the CA but both walls , plumbing and the washer dryer got pretty well messed up.
conservationmN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conservationmN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 4:53pm
we all know or should know its safer to start a tractor when  in the seat.

But the point was, don't you wish you could climb up the tire like a 12 year old kid?!!
wally
Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 10:46pm
Part of the ease of getting on anything as a kid is the adrenalin and excitement of driving it. Funny but I still enjoy and look forward to it too.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 6:14am
In the 1940's Dad farmed using an Allis chalmers C. He or someone had removed the back rest.  He always stepped up on the drawbar to get on. I started in my 70's getting on, after removing the right rear fender, backing up to the right rear tire, placing my right heal on the drawbar, push up on the tire, swing my feet around to the front and scoot over onto the seat. 

Using my C to chop hay for the horses I step in the mower frame in front of the right rear tire to push up on the tire to scoot onto the seat. I have the seat back on.   
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 2:57pm
You all know how I  LOVE the B, however, it is a pistol to get on and off.
A few years ago at the Mid Atlantic Allis Chalmers Club plow day David Dickmyer asked if I wanted to drive his C.  Not thinking I jumped at the chance.  Then remembered it had a plow on it.  SAVED!!  
You know without an implement or a step it was almost impossible for us old guys to get on the B-C-CA
Good Luck!
Bill Long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic