This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AD 40 reverse gear.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cml9868 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cml9868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AD 40 reverse gear.
    Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 3:34pm
Hey Steve,
Thanks for the reply. As much as I may be looking for new information, a validation of my own suspicions may be just as useful and you've provided that. In an information vacuum, a "maybe" carries almost as much weight as a "yes".
I can see in various documents that the seat does tilt but it appears that the cab is in the way of that function.
There is an access plate in the floor of the cab which I plan to use. I'll make a frame in the cab to suspend a chain hoist through the floor then unbolt the transmission and lower it to the ground. Always easier said than done...
Thank you for your help.
It ain't old it's just prematurely gray.
Allis Chalmers AD40
Ford 276 Versatile
JI Case VAI

Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 1:57pm
Some things I know and some things I think. Worked on AD40 trans shift fork twice 45-50 yrs ago. (broke off). I know the cab was never removed. I THINK we removed trans for that because I remember seeing the clutch.I think we did it in the driveway not inside.Have no recollection how it was held/lifted. Doesn't the seat area fold fwd when unbolted? Don't know if we used a chain hoist hanging from roof?. Not much help really but know the cab never was removed.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 7:16am
I dont have any input on procedure but i can tell you the machine is not that new.  52-53 is more like its build date if not a few years earlier.   Did you verify the shift pattern?   on my grader the inner stick has 3 speeds, and the outer has high, low and reverse off to the right.  i believe the ad40 and ad45 use this pattern but the Bd series is different.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Cml9868 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cml9868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:06pm
Hi All,
New person here which means I'm doing this wrong and am bracing for an onslaught of responses telling me I did it wrong.

I have an Allis Chalmers AD40 with cab-over, year is unknown and serial plate is unreadable but I think I've traced it to '62-63. Power plant is a Detroit 4-71.

I'm looking for a little advice and perhaps some resources for parts.

I have no reverse and looking at the parts manual, it seems that it must be the reverse idler gear. I was told by the previous owner that the cab needed to be removed to access the transmission but I can't understand why that would be necessary: All of the transmission bolts seem to be front facing and I even have easy access to remove the idler shaft... which I'm wondering if someone did by mistake and thus the reason for no reverse.

Questions:
What is the best way to remove the transmission (I have no gantry or crane)?
Does anyone here have resources for reverse idler gear and also a mold board ring worm gear?

Thanks in advance and sorry I did it wrong.
It ain't old it's just prematurely gray.
Allis Chalmers AD40
Ford 276 Versatile
JI Case VAI

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic