This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vin# Ford L 8000 grain truck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vin# Ford L 8000 grain truck
    Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 4:29pm
Hey folks, fairly new here but really need some help. I recently bought a 1974 Ford L8000 grain truck out of state. I can’t register here in Ky until vin number is inspected by sheriff. No data plate so looking for vin on frame. Can anyone tell me exactly where this frame number would be? I’ve been all over it. Looked between spring mounts inside and out. If anyone can help I’d be very appreciative. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 4:49pm
Check top of left frame rail near the steering box?
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 6:52pm
Thanks for the reply. We’ve cleaned the entire area of frame near steering box. It’s not there.
Anyone have a 1974 F 8000 owners manual? Supposedly the manual indicates location? Thanks very much.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:03pm
Nothing on the drivers door frame? Below the steering column on the left side? Inside the glovebox somewhere? Are there still license plates on it from the previous State?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:38pm
Nothing on it. Data plate is missing on the door but all vehicles have vin on frame somewhere. It has plates but that’s not the problem. I have the title, but because it’s out of state it has to be verified with vin by sheriff’s office before transfer and licensing. Thanks for trying to help.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:42pm
Some Fords had the number on the right frame rail. There should also be one on top of the frame rail under where the seat is. A mirror is required.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:01pm
I’ll try a mirror tomorrow. Open to other suggestions. Thanks everybody.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:20pm
Is there an outside chance that the person doing the inspecting knows where to find it as that is partly their responsibility and part of their job. Let them share in the responsibility to find the vin.
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 10:07pm
Sheriff’s deputy looked all over. He told me when I found it to call them. This is a hard one to find.
Good old truck, I bought at online farm auction, went to Illinois and drove back 300 miles. Holds 550 bu. I was planning on using for my soybean harvest and need to start right away. Thanks everyone.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:17am
Is it possibly in the bottom left corner of the windshield, like on pickups.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:53am
I believe it was 1980 when the vin was put under left corner of windshield on these trucks.
At least that’s what I’ve read. Manufacturers have nearly always been required to stamp vin on the frame somewhere.
Thanks for all suggestions.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:02am

A 'Marti' in Phoenix, AZ apparently has all the 1967 to 1979 FOMOCO records.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1188717-11-digit-vin-decode-9.html

R/F Wheel on top of Frame, may need a mirror

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1485257-where-is-vin-number-on-1984-f700.html

Edited by Gary - 17 Oct 2021 at 8:06am
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:33am
Thanks for the reply. Looked all over right front frame. Even cleaned original paint off. It must be under cab.
Please help if anyone can. I’ve been all over front of frame and all over internet seeking information. 1974 L8000 live tandem with Detroit diesel and 10speed Road Ranger transmission.
cowkicker View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:29pm
Mine has build sheet on the back of the cab behind the passenger seat, not sure if vin# is on it, never paid that much attention to it. 
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 3:46pm
May hafta do a 'bonded' title,if ya can't find the VIN
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:36pm
Still can’t find any numbers. We have cleaned off entire frame members.
Bonded or branded title won’t work because sheriff inspection still required.
Thanks everybody.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 5:22pm
Possibly somewhere on the firewall?
I know law enforcement knows where the different places are on automobiles. Not sure if large truck manufacturers of that era were required to have standardized, multiple locations for the vin.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 5:25pm
Talk with your local scrap yard(salvage yard) that specializes in big trucks, buses, etc., I bet they know where to look.
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:33pm
Thanks Lars. According to a owners manual it’s stamped on right side frame rail. No other place. But it’s not there. We’ve stripped the paint off from front spring bracket all the way back to 1st rear axle and still see nothing. I’ll check area salvage yards. Thanks everybody
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 2:27pm
I drove a 1975 Ford 9000 for the neighbors that had the in-cab build sheet by the passenger seat. He has another one with that missing, though. I want to say that the 9000's were stamped on the LEFT frame rail, not the right. I don't know about the 8000's, but it's worth a shot.
Tractors: Allis WD (x2), Allis 7040, Oliver 1800A Diesel, Case 830 Caseomatic, White 2-105, Massey 1105 | Plus a Gleaner F2, 30' A-C 1300 Cultivator, Flightline bale elevator
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 7:13am
Thanks Matador. No build sheet in my truck. We’ve looked all over both frame rails and there’s no numbers. Thanks all for trying to help. I really appreciate it. dp
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 11:19am
Have you consulted the dealer?  If they do not know, ask them who to contact at Ford.

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 12:55pm
Have you looked on all  surfaces of the frame?  From where did you select which side was the right side?  Which side does Ford consider the correct right side?  Did you look all the way to the rear end of the frame?  If it's supposed to be on the front of the right side, could it be on the rear of the left side?

You could take it to the dealer, wanting a new key and let them solve the problem!  I took a car in on a trailer and the guy inside came out and checked the VIN on the car.  Just tell them a  story, like the key you have is a little shaky!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic