This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Power Director

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Power Director
    Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 3:11pm
I'm in the process of addressing several issues within the torque tube of my D15 Diesel (1961, Series 1).  One problem is that the power director has never worked.  The tractor has been in the family since the 80's and we've always only had high range.  The power director lever just feels loose as you move it front to back.  The set screw at the base of the lever has been checked but that's all we've ever done.  This winter I've decided to finally get this fixed (as well as replacing seals and bearings within torque tube, and PTO lever o-ring).  I thought I would start off by looking in the power director access panel to see what I can find out.  It appears that the brass collar is broken/loose.  It's kind of hard to see but I wanted to see if you guys can tell anything...

Green arrow is to the collar that just flops around while lever is moved front to back.  The black arrow is where I suppose it should be seated???

Sponsored Links

John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 3:56pm
Why does the clutch pack look rusty. My 190 is oil filled I believe. Do they run dry clutches?
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 4:18pm
The tractor gets less than 10 hours of use per year. It's stored inside but still very humid here. There was oil in the power director compartment. I'm not sure how wet the clutch pack is supposed to stay.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 5:35pm
A badly worn out brass bearing and shifter collar usually is caused by very low oil levels at sometime in its past service life. Nothing a split and new parts can't fix. 2 1/2 gallons of oil when completed.
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 5:41pm
Thanks for the info.  I'll post some pictures of her split in the next day or so.  Will keep you guys updated with my progress.  Appreciate the help!
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 2:02pm

Been making some progress with the tractor.  Since I'm replacing the seals and bearing inside the torque tube I decided to completely remove it instead of just splitting at the transmission.  So far, I've split the tractor at the rear of the engine.  Will use an engine hoist to help finish removing the rest of the torque tube.  

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:57pm
nice stand. 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:46pm
I will second the nice stand, that would have worked great on my 160 rebuild 2 months ago. Nice, its a diesel. Defiantly been low on oil for a good while it appears.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:28pm
Been making steady progress with getting the torque tube ready for removal.  I think all I have left to do is to remove the dip sticks and the power director shaft that the fork mounts to.    

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:46pm
Power director lever in the floor was my contribution today . Try to help my fav son out , but we're getting in uncharted waters . THANKS !!
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:43pm
Nice. Headed down that road shortly with my 190. I'm actually quite anxious to do it. Keep us updated, I will surely be watching for the updates.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:30pm
Doing well so far! I went through a d15 torque tube this year to install shuttle clutch gears. There are some pics at this link that may help: https://www.facebook.com/awtractorrepair/posts/1367701396958709 
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:32pm
And make sure to remove the power director oil dipstick! Otherwise you'll split it 1" apart and you'll wonder why it wont go any further
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:21am
Thanks for the pictures Alex!  I was trying to find some to reference and really appreciate the link you sent.  I'll start another thread when I get to rebuilding the torque tube.  

I've gotten all the bolts out and the dip stick removed but struggling to get the torque tube to separate from the transmission.  It's stuck on there pretty good.  Guess that makes sense since it been since '61.  May have to get a porta power to "break the seal"...
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:57pm
I was able to get the torque tube separated from the transmission today.  Thought I would include a few pictures for you guys.  I think I see the source of the rattling when the tractor was at a low idle...

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:04pm
interesting. Could you post some pictures of the torque tube
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:17pm
What are you thinking is the source of the rattle?
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:27pm
Looking at the pictures it kinda looks like some black sludge in the front of power director and some of the other pieces. Maybe got hot at one time. Just guessing about that. Keep us updated, looking good.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:56pm
Lots of rust, low fluid level and a moisture issue. Did this tractor sit outside? At least you know what’s wrong at this point. I would rebuild the power director after seeing the damage.

Edited by AC720Man - 16 Oct 2021 at 10:01pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:33pm
rATTLE MAY HAVE BEEN the brass collar loose on the clutch shifter collar. Here is a video on how to remove the power director clutch: https://www.facebook.com/awtractorrepair/videos/441882556738688
If you need replacement parts, we can help you
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:10pm
Tractor sat outside for many years prior to me getting it. Since then it is stored in a shop.
The tractor developed a rattle from the torque tube when idling in neutral with foot clutch out. It would go away if you bumped up the RPMs a little. Foot clutch was rebuilt a couple years back. I was assuming I also had a bad bearing in the torque tube, but it may have been the brass collar.
I'll post pictures of the torque tube soon. Need to decide where it will live while I take it apart. Will probably do another thread on it too.
Alex, thanks for the video! Very helpful. Yes the power director will be rebuilt.
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:15pm
Yes the black sludge has a hint of metallic grit to it. Good catch John.
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 8:22am
I had a little time last night to get the power director off.  Thanks again Alex as the video helped.  Definitely having it in low range made things easier!  The power director clutch pack will be rebuilt.  I also have a few pictures of the torque tube below for you guys.  
  Somehow... the PTO collar or shaft or detent ball has become warped and the PTO will periodically get stuck engaged.  It's stuck at the moment and will not disengage or move back.  I also need to figure that one out while all of this is apart.  

polarbear View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:31am
WOW great and informative pictures just absolutely a good job
THANK YOU EVERYONE
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 12:49pm
Thanks polarbear.  I'm just learning as I go.  Using this forum and my service manual as a resource.  Taking pictures anyway so thought I would post them on the forum for others to see.  Somebody may spot a problem that I would have missed!

Edited by WeisAC2 - 21 Oct 2021 at 12:49pm
polarbear View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 8:05am
I'M WAITING TO SEE SOMEONE DO A TRANSMISSION AND SHOW PICTURES
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 1:07pm
Well's it's been a group effort, but I got the rebuilt power director reinstalled.  Thought I would post some pic's for you guys.  I'm ready to put this to use!  I still got a little ways to go on the torque tube.  

tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 6:36pm
The issue I fear is why did the shifter collar wear like that... make sure the thrust plate ramps and roller allow the clutch to 'snap' in .  Some cut notches in the neutral locator plate where the button has to be pressed to shift to low or high to hold the clutch in and not have it pop out - this will wear out the brass collars and locating ridge on the shifter. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 7:41am
Thanks tbran.  The thrust plates were replaced along with all new clutch discs.  This tractor came with the power director broken.  I'm thinking that it was run low on oil which is what caused the problem.  
ac160 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac160 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 9:57am
Where did you get a stand like that?  Or is it homemade?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic