This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GM- Ford going all electric ??????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:57pm
NOPE... no Union Pension... NEVER was in the union... Do what i want, when i want...... Pointing out your ignorance is just ICING ON THE CAKE !!  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:09pm
also you keep pointing out about all the "OLD PEOPLE" on this site , that will NOT get the WUHAN SHOT.... Do you realize that the "OVER 65" have the HIGHEST PERCENTAGE of VAX of any age group ? ........... Do your research..

and YOU are WAY OFF the original TOPIC !!....... I thought that was a cardinal SIN for you ?  Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Oct 2021 at 6:12pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">Just how many PENNIES are required to run a battery charger and how will this be any more of a  drain on a "GRID" </span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">
</span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;"><b style="">?????? So you think you can drive a car/ truck with BATTERIES all day long, then plug in your 6 amp charger and REFILL it in a few hours ???   You ever hear of Perpetual motion ??  LOL   Wink</span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;"><b style="">Most of the "chargers" are 240 volts and pull 50 amps to FULLY recharge the batteries in one shift.....WAY beyond your AC unit.</span>

My current battery charger cost me over a $180 smart ass WinkWink !! 
And JUST how do you KNOW so much about EVERYTHING, farm (I assume), take TOO much effort in your "political" stance AND make time for 60,000+ posts ????

Wow, a whole $180 eh? Just for fun, price a Tesla home charging station, and see what you think.

Think about it, you’re talking about the power to drive a vehicle 100s of miles instead of STARTING a vehicle for a few seconds.

Why would I do that ? I don't own a TESLA LOLLOL !!
From what I've read, 220 volts AC is a WHOLE lot cheaper to run than 110/120 LOLLOL 

Why? That’s an easy one. So you aren’t so ignorant of the topic you’re blathering on.

Your $180 12 VDC somehow makes a point for you, but the facts about the topic at hand you shouldn’t look into….ok…,
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:43pm

So, you're retired, probably taking in WAY too much union pension, pulling in SS payments  and have nothing better to do with your time than "scan the site" and belittle whomever disagrees with you Stern Smile ? Am I accurate on several statements ???

If theres anybody on this site that spends too much time on random topics trying to up his post count, I would believe that's you.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
bemer848 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bemer848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:22pm
Gassy is tonight another sudsy drinking posting night?
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:26pm
FREEDGUY wrote:

So, you're retired, probably taking in WAY too much union pension, pulling in SS payments and have nothing better to do with your time than "scan the site" and belittle whomever disagrees with you Stern Smile ? Am I accurate on several statements ???    So Freedguy your statement about retired persons being on a Union Pension or getting Social Security shows some jealousy!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:35pm
I called my engine guy today and told him to build me a 5.7 with fuel injection to give me 3-4 hundred HP which is about double what I have now. That said would you all please buy electric vehicles so there will be a glut of cheap gas for me......please. 😂
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:43am
Buddy of mine is buying up all the used Chainsaws and string trimmers can find here, going to sneak them in thru CA Entry ports by packing them in containers marked 'Scrap' so can corner the Black Market!!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

I called my engine guy today and told him to build me a 5.7 with fuel injection to give me 3-4 hundred HP which is about double what I have now. That said would you all please buy electric vehicles so there will be a glut of cheap gas for me......please. 😂
Ya' know....I seriously wonder about that "cheap gas".  I have a hunch, er, a BAD feeling, gas is going to be regulated/taxed/controlled so badly by some means, that the contrary will actually be what happens.  Angry
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 1:57pm
Kind of Wink back to the subject it takes HORESPOWER to move a people hauler no matter what you call it. Be it horse and buggy, ox cart, salves hauling a chair on there shoulders , gasoline powered car , or electric car you need fuel for it.

We are using all the electric power generated currently ( could use more some day/ brown outs ). Common sense ( which is very uncommon) says any new power generation is going to cost more than power being made now. All hell breaks out if you even think we could build a damm and making hydro power. To get it from solar and wind you need way more panels or mills than a straight math answer would say because they only work part of the time. So all the calculations everyone has been showing need to upped. Just how much is the question. But double the current cost would not be surprise to me.

And what happens when we get cut off from the special materials needed to make all the batteries as the Chinese are way ahead in the race to own them. Just for all the sheepel that lessen to talking heads on TV all the time hope that electric car works out be as cheap as you think.  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:40pm
GEES Ray.... Sounds like you dont think this is A GREAT PLAN !!!  Wink  LOL   LOL
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I can physically get 100A 3 PH from the pole into my house cheaper than 400A single phase. Yeah, sounds crazy, but welcome to Ontario Hydro. Looked into this 4-5 years ago, idea was to repalce the 23HP gas engine on the sawmill with an electric motor. Quiet and clean,great for inside the shop.The 'distribution transformer' needed for the 'magic' to get 2PH, 240V 100 was a freebie, and if you don't connect one leg to the 'power monitor' chunk, that leg is um, shh, 'free' energy.
DM's solar story is quite common. Have 5 neighbour's with 10KW systems. Yes, they do make money, but ONLY because the guv said we'll pay you 80c/KwH for 20 YEARS, it's NOT that they actually MAKE 10KwH of solar energy

But you don't run 1 phase to house, 1 for charger 1, and 1 for charger 2, which is how you made it sound.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

Ya' know....I seriously wonder about that "cheap gas".  I have a hunch, er, a BAD feeling, gas is going to be regulated/taxed/controlled so badly by some means, that the contrary will actually be what happens.  Angry

I unfortunately agree. If the sale of gas drops so too will the tax revenue and thus they will increase the tax rate. But as far as my wife is concerned I'm going with my first statement.😆
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 5:13am
Three Phase 480v can be separated to single phases and use a transformer to drop the single phases to 120 or 240v, was how we did it at the nuke for internal power supplies to the plant.  Same distribution breaker center would have 480 3ph 204v 3ph, 240v single ph breakers and 120v panels.

And yes, if readily available it is cheaper to have a 3ph drop sent into a building than a single ph set up.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 6:32am
yeah, I know I didn't xplain real guud...was dumfounded that 3ph drop was cheaper than 400A 'regular' service.
good(?) news is I sold next door and the sawmill BEFORE I'd commited to the power upgrade.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:53am
The larger underlying issue is EROEI (Energy Returned On Energy Invested)

We consumers tend to look at dollars returned on dollars invested because that is what first impacts us.

The overwhelming majority of so-called 'Green Energy' installations never return as much energy as was used to build them.

Net loss. Pretty tough to keep that up long term

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:17am
Les....... there is an old joke... " I loose money on every sale, but i make it up in VOLUME" ..... Wink
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 10:38am
re: Net loss. Pretty tough to keep that up long term

but the federal budget works........ trillions, and trillions in debt, country is still 'doing great'........LOLConfused
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

GEES Ray.... Sounds like you dont think this is A GREAT PLAN !!!  Wink  LOL   LOL

Confused No clue how it will end. Just know politicians are dummer than rocks so if they demand you do something 99% chance it is wrong.

My first battery powered drill was gift from my parents Skil brand about 1980. It was junk, battery was built into drill no getting another battery and keep going. By the the 90's battery drills where getting some good reviews. I had job that included hanging a bunch of gate off old power poles. Needed 5/8 wholes, did not want use a good augur bit. So I got the new at the time 19.2 Craftsmen 1/2 chuck, better than I expected. My kids get me a impact that used that 19.2 battery. Had no expectation of it being any good. Twenty years latter still works good if I spend money on new battlers every few years.

So in 20 or 30 years a solar panel on the car roof may keep you going all day. But the argument that electric is cheap and will stay that way is very short sited. But I am off topic so some are about to ..........................Wink.OuchCryAngryDeadConfusedBig smileStarClap     LOL
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:02pm
Hay Steve look at that if I post this get another..............................Confused But this is 3500.

Would somebody explain what the prize is for post number?

Come on Steve what have they given you..........beside trouble.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:15pm
Ray54, your just a peeon to old poster 4138...  but if you start posting faster and shorter blurbs, you will zip right past him and then he will hafta look up to you!  Disapprove Shocked  LOL
  or maybe be berated by hym for hav'n soooo  many more posts than he has...Dead   
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:16pm
Ray, YA dont get NUTHIN till you hits 10,000 posts..... Prize for that is 6 empty gum wrappers.... Next step is 20,000 .... 4 old apple cores........ by the time you get to 50,000 you get the GOOD STUFF ! ... 2 worn out draw bar pins !!

Congrats on the 3500 !!!
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: Net loss. Pretty tough to keep that up long term

but the federal budget works........ trillions, and trillions in debt, country is still 'doing great'........LOLConfused

Yup.
That which cannot continue, will not continue.

When one takes into account the energy costs of building new equipment (mining of raw materials, transportation, refining, manufacturing, etc.), it becomes apparent that the best thing we can do for the environment is to keep the old iron running.

This is exactly what this website is dedicated to.
Keep up the good work folks! Smile
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:33pm
(CNN)The Clean Electricity Performance Program, the cornerstone climate policy in Democrats' massive social safety net package, will likely be dropped from the final budget deal after pushback from Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, three congressional sources told CNN.
"He is not there on the CEPP period. We've been trying," one Democratic aide with knowledge of the negotiations told CNN. The aide told CNN that Democrats are trying to find ways to restructure the program to fit Manchin's concerns while still reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
 "If there's a deal to be struck in the next few days, I don't think there's anything resembling CEPP in there."
    The New York Times first reported the measure would likely be cut.
    Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:33pm
    Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Three Phase 480v can be separated to single phases and use a transformer to drop the single phases to 120 or 240v, was how we did it at the nuke for internal power supplies to the plant.  Same distribution breaker center would have 480 3ph 204v 3ph, 240v single ph breakers and 120v panels.

And yes, if readily available it is cheaper to have a 3ph drop sent into a building than a single ph set up.

I'm well aware how 3ph works.  But running one phase of 3ph to a structure would only provide L-N loads, no L-L loads.
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:56pm
    you would have 3 HOT wires that have 240 volts between any 2 wires... and a separate ground... Normally the three wires feed a 3 phase motor..... What you would do in this case is run wires 1 and 2 to one breaker box and have 240 volts single phase... you would run 2 and 3 wires to the second box and have 240 volts single phase ( out of phase with the first box)... then you would run wires 3 and 1 to box #3 to have  240 v single phase ( out of phase with boxes 1 and 2).... the #2 and #3 box would be ONLY 240 volts and could supple a charger / welder / water heater / saw mill motor......... The #1 box would need a transformer to get 120 v out of the 240v supply so you could run lights and  wall plugs....... It could work... Have done similar with 480 v 3 phase to run heating elements on single phase 480v.

the only problem might be BALANCE between the 3 legs.. If it is a small transformer feeding just your house, that could be a problem.. If it is a larger transformer feeding several houses, probably not a problem... If it is 3 individual transformers feeding, not a problem.

many small business in the US do similar, but have a 208 volt 3 phase supply... There are a lot of motors, large cooling units, pumps, hot water heaters that can run off 208 v 3 phase (or single phase).... and ANY one of the HOT leads to ground gives a 120 v power for the lights and plugs.... that is the purpose of starting with 208 v 3 phase ...no additional transformer to get 120v single phase.... but your BIGGER equip has to run off 208 and not 240v.

If your chargers could run off 208v, this would be the way to go, as you also get 120v.

Edited by steve(ill) - 15 Oct 2021 at 9:22pm
    tadams(OH) View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 2:35pm
    Well when no more gas is sold then no more money from gas taxes to repair the roads then what Uncle Joe's 3 Trillion dollar road repair bills will have to pass then we will all be broke.
    Mikez View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 2:45pm
    also I wonder how it will work. Isn’t there still petroleum products in these cars and stuff. So when they put all the refineries out of business. How does that work
    Tbone95 View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 4:18pm
    Right now, all the examples of calculating costs, are gasoline including the highway tax, electrical costs without. When they slap a huge tax on what goes into your car for highway tax, will be yet another thing that’s not what it seems.
    FREEDGUY View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:11pm
    Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

also I wonder how it will work. Isn’t there still petroleum products in these cars and stuff. So when they put all the refineries out of business. How does that work
    You are missing the point ENTIRELY CryCry !! It's a PROPULSION /TAILPIPE EMITTING/ POLLUTION issue !!! NONE of you "get-it" CryCry
    The "logic" of the former  is beyond my comprehension Confused 

Edited by FREEDGUY - 16 Oct 2021 at 5:13pm
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
      Share Topic