This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GM- Ford going all electric ??????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 8:50am
To put this into perspective, let’s give an example. Let’s say you drive about 540 miles per month.

Well if your RETIRED and dont go anywhere, then 6000 miles per year is a good FUDGE NUMBER... If your working, many are driving 20,000 miles per year. ... But the articles AGENDA was to show how CHEAP it would be, NOT THE REAL COST.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:30pm
heck, I haven't gone 6000 miles since the Chinese gave us the virus...coming up 3 years+or-.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 4:35pm
YEP... me neither... But i use to travel 25 miles to work, then 25 back every day for 40 years........ Both of my kids do almost 100 miles a day round trip.... Thats 500 PER WEEK, not per month.... lot of people do it.. 15-20K per year is "normal".
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 4:56pm
A friend of my drives his  Tesla to work every day, about 12 miles one way, says it cost between $20.00 and $25.00 per month to charge it, (His charger in his garage, is 120 volt) Unless he's starting out on a long trip, he does not charge it over 80%. Lithium ion batteries if charged slowly to avoid overheating the batteries, will last a long time.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by dee_veloper dee_veloper wrote:

What is the Cost to Charge an EV in kWh?

“A conservative rule of thumb is that an electric car gets 3 to 4 miles per kWh,” Voelcker says. “So divide the total miles you drive each month by 3, to get the kWh you would use monthly. Multiply that number by your cost per kWh. The dollar amount you get will most likely be lower than what you pay each month to buy gasoline.”

To put this into perspective, let’s give an example. Let’s say you drive about 540 miles per month. For an EV, you will use 180 kWh in that timeframe. Using the U.S. household average from May 2021 of 14 cents per kWh, it would cost $25.20/month to charge an EV.

I WOULD TAKE THAT $$$/MILE ALL DAY LONG ClapClap !!!! 

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/how-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-an-ev/

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Just how many PENNIES are required to run a battery charger and how will this be any more of a  drain on a "GRID" 

?????? So you think you can drive a car/ truck with BATTERIES all day long, then plug in your 6 amp charger and REFILL it in a few hours ???   You ever hear of Perpetual motion ??  LOL   Wink

Most of the "chargers" are 240 volts and pull 50 amps to FULLY recharge the batteries in one shift.....WAY beyond your AC unit.
My current battery charger cost me over a $180 smart ass WinkWink !! 
And JUST how do you KNOW so much about EVERYTHING, farm (I assume), take TOO much effort in your "political" stance AND make time for 60,000+ posts ????

Edited by FREEDGUY - 12 Oct 2021 at 5:51pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 5:50pm
They are talking about a tinker toy car... NOT your 5 ton lumber wagon you call a TRUCK !!  LOL   Clap
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 5:54pm

They are talking about a tinker toy car... NOT your 5 ton lumber wagon you call a TRUCK !!  LOL   Clap
Answer my question please TongueTongue !! What do you "DO" other than attempt to call me out ClapClap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:01pm
DO ??? ............. 100 DIFFERENT THINGS !! Wink
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">Just how many PENNIES are required to run a battery charger and how will this be any more of a  drain on a "GRID" </span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">
</span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;"><b style="">?????? So you think you can drive a car/ truck with BATTERIES all day long, then plug in your 6 amp charger and REFILL it in a few hours ???   You ever hear of Perpetual motion ??  LOL   Wink</span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;"><b style="">Most of the "chargers" are 240 volts and pull 50 amps to FULLY recharge the batteries in one shift.....WAY beyond your AC unit.</span>

And JUST how do you KNOW so much about EVERYTHING, farm (I assume), take TOO much effort in your "political" stance AND make time for 60,000+ posts ????

Wow, a whole $180 eh? Just for fun, price a Tesla home charging station, and see what you think.

Think about it, you’re talking about the power to drive a vehicle 100s of miles instead of STARTING a vehicle for a few seconds.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:24pm
Tesla COMPATIBLE Chargers are google listed, anywhere from $1600.00 to $7900.00, and will need MORE than One if have two vehicles that get used daily over the same time frame, generally speaking will need one for EACH Car you have if ALL Electric to get them all sufficiently charged before going to work/school.  60 Amp DEDICATED Breaker for EACH, thus a ADDITIONAL 200A Service JUST for Car Chargers.

Home Charging | Tesla

The OTHER Gorilla in the room is the Replacement Battery at Five + Years, they do NOT last forever nor do they come Cheap.  Like $13000, and NO Tesla has been on the road for Eight Years quoted for Warranty.  I will be surprised if not prorated at five.

Figure that into recovery on Investment when cannot sell the Car with a bad or aged battery may be able to trade into another but at That LOVELY New Car cost.  Prius and Leaf Owners already feel this pain.

As for the General Street Guy that usually buys USED, as I have, how much to Transfer the remainder of that Eight Year original owner Battery Warranty?  Can it EVEN BE transferred?  How much is a five+ year old Tesla selling for these days and can you get that three years problem free if NO Warranty as second owner.  

Personally I do NOT have $80k to pay for a SINGLE Auto new, would NOT finance that much either as payments would be drastically NIGHTMARISHLY Huge.  Ford's Electric Pickup, expected to cost in excess of $75K, GMs Similar, Tesla's is already figured near to $70K for one BUTT Ugly beast.

Edited by DMiller - 12 Oct 2021 at 6:35pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:46pm
Dang it Dave!!! You were supposed to let him do it himself! Then we’d lead him through the rest piece by piece. You just wrote way too much for him to follow all at once!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:50pm
Gassy still thinks his 12 v charger is going to work... Dont have a CLUE what an ELECTRIC VEHICLE uses for batteries.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:05pm
My question about Electric Vehicles is the cost to upgrade Generation and the Grid to handle the additional load! Consumers Energy just put up 80 some Wind Turbines in our area after shutting down one Coal Fired Generator. They are supposed to run on demand,and on a few windless days did not run at all! Our local Co Op is installing some Solar Panels to satisfy the Powers that Be and along with other members of the Coperative installing a Gas Fired Generator.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:19pm
Normal wind mill is about 3 MegaWatts...... A coal fired power plant from 1960 is about 200 MegaWatts.... Newer coal power unit from 1980 vintage are 6-700 MegaWatts..... so YES... it can take 80 - 250 windmills to replace ONE coal fired unit. ... and you can have 2-3-4 UNITS per Power Plant..

Take the big LABADIE coal plant in St Louis.. 4 units, total 2500 MW.... if you retire it, you will need about 800 wind mills to replace.... they are starting to build BIGGER windmills, but having all that ROTATING MASS up 250 ft in the air is a JOKE.

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Oct 2021 at 7:22pm
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:22pm

To put this into perspective, let’s give an example. Let’s say you drive about 540 miles per month.

Well if your RETIRED and dont go anywhere, then 6000 miles per year is a good FUDGE NUMBER... If your working, many are driving 20,000 miles per year. ... But the articles AGENDA was to show how CHEAP it would be, NOT THE REAL COST.

Good grief. You completely missed the point.  The author merely presented an example to show people how to calculate the cost.  Not present a target figure.  People are expected to plug in their own mileage and their own utility rates to calculate their expected costs.

Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:25pm
I didnt miss anything....... the whole point of the article was to convince people that they could charge a car for $25. a month............ SLOW PEOPLE will fall for that AGENDA.

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Oct 2021 at 7:25pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 8:50pm
re: People are expected to plug in their own mileage and their own utility rates to calculate their expected costs.

right....if you LOOK at the BS hydro bill I get, you'll assume it's 11c/KwH BUT do the REAL math, at it's closer to 25C/KwH.
Kerbang..cost is DOUBLE what you 'think'....

If I had 2 EVs here (when pigs fly over frozen hell..) I'd have to upgrade to a 400A service !! 100a/car+house(200a),FORCED into that cause hydro ONLY install 200a or 400a services. It'd actually be cheaper to get 3 phase from the pole though.1 for house, 1 for EV#1, 1 for EV#2.

There are charges that can do a FULL recharge in 30 minutes BUT you still pay for EVERY electron as 'smart' meters KNOW exactly what you're using....

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:25pm

I didnt miss anything....... the whole point of the article was to convince people that they could charge a car for $25. a month............ SLOW PEOPLE will fall for that AGENDA.

...and you're still missing it. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

right....if you LOOK at the BS hydro bill I get, you'll assume it's 11c/KwH BUT do the REAL math, at it's closer to 25C/KwH.....
Kerbang..cost is DOUBLE what you 'think'....

I doubt if most billings are deceptive .  i know mine is accurate.  Regardless, plug in any number you want. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:37am
Was explained by a ex coworker he was installing Solar at his home as was Zero expense and would net Zero on his electricity bill.
Never happened.

First up installed on roof as no yard area to set them, two years later roof leaks at the retainer screws MULTIPLE leaks. Pull all panels, replaced roof reinstall panels then major faults as panels reattachments caused and solar contractor had to come find then repair, NOT warranty as panels were moved without the solar contractor doing it, three cells trashed.
Next up he receives billing from his provider, pays retail rate, his return rate at Less than 1/2 total
Consumption was less than 1/4 of his total bill as credited at Wholesale rate, then charged equipment usage fees to place His energy back on the grid.

Genuinely was Net Zero Energy Bill, for his supplier.
Stated he managed to see a 1/4 usage credit for the last year but due to he and his wife energy conscious savings efforts. He is not any longer impressed with solar systems where any further issues he is accepting the loss and “removing the junk”.

Edited by DMiller - 13 Oct 2021 at 3:11pm
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:41am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

It'd actually be cheaper to get 3 phase from the pole though.1 for house, 1 for EV#1, 1 for EV#2.

? That is NOT how 3ph works.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:15am
I can physically get 100A 3 PH from the pole into my house cheaper than 400A single phase. Yeah, sounds crazy, but welcome to Ontario Hydro. Looked into this 4-5 years ago, idea was to repalce the 23HP gas engine on the sawmill with an electric motor. Quiet and clean,great for inside the shop.The 'distribution transformer' needed for the 'magic' to get 2PH, 240V 100 was a freebie, and if you don't connect one leg to the 'power monitor' chunk, that leg is um, shh, 'free' energy.
DM's solar story is quite common. Have 5 neighbour's with 10KW systems. Yes, they do make money, but ONLY because the guv said we'll pay you 80c/KwH for 20 YEARS, it's NOT that they actually MAKE 10KwH of solar energy

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:39am
And as usual, once the facts started coming, gassy was gone like the fart in a wind that he is.  Told you it would be too much for him to comprehend!LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:27am
jay is right on the 3 phase power..."NORMALLY"  you would get 3 phase power to run 3 phase equipment... But it is actually 3 SINGLE PHASE combined... You can divide the 3 phase wires out to get 3 different single phases ........

also Jordan has a point..........to complicated to go into it completely Jay, but remember the 300 AMPS on 3 phases is not 3 x 100 what you would get in single phase... something to do with square root of 3 . Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Oct 2021 at 8:40am
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:52am
Yup thats a typical solar panel story.
 Fellow north of here thought he could make some real interest on his money he had in investments... and cut his electric bill to nothing.
 Took out his 17000 bucks and bought the equipment. Then since he is still working, the contractors installed the system and hooked it up for him... and that was near what the first bill was.   
 It was suppose to be over rated for supply of electricity to the house and 'shop' in the winter time. First couple years when snow came, he kept a trail plowed in front of the solar panels and the snow scraped off of them. After that the snow wasn't swept off and no trail plowed. 
 Asked him one day how the panels worked out and he said he made more interest off the moneys that were invested in failing stocks than he did with his solar panels and wished he never bought the solar system.  He said in the summer would sell some electric back to power company but winter time, it generated 1/6th of the power required because he didn't put in the tracking system, which would have cost more... and probably wouldn't have worked as well as they said they would.
 I have noticed in the last few years he doesn't even bother mowing the weeds under them... but he spends time cutting firewood for his winter heat.
 Think he will buy into battery cars? I highly doubt it, he already has been burnt by the greenie ideologies of nonsense.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:37pm

DO ??? ............. 100 DIFFERENT THINGS !! Wink
Yet you still evade an honest question CryCry
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">Just how many PENNIES are required to run a battery charger and how will this be any more of a  drain on a "GRID" </span>
</span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;"><b style="">?????? So you think you can drive a car/ truck with BATTERIES all day long, then plug in your 6 amp charger and REFILL it in a few hours ???   You ever hear of Perpetual motion ??  LOL   Wink</span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;"><b style="">Most of the "chargers" are 240 volts and pull 50 amps to FULLY recharge the batteries in one shift.....WAY beyond your AC unit.</span>

Wow, a whole $180 eh? Just for fun, price a Tesla home charging station, and see what you think.

Think about it, you’re talking about the power to drive a vehicle 100s of miles instead of STARTING a vehicle for a few seconds.
Why would I do that ? I don't own a TESLA LOLLOL !!
From what I've read, 220 volts AC is a WHOLE lot cheaper to run than 110/120 LOLLOL 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:42pm
Whats your problem GASSY ?  No evading anytihing.... I dont have "ONE" job that takes most of my time each week...  Had a job welding 30 hours last week.. Built 3 duck blinds a few weeks before that.... Cut out and welded up three 15 ft trailers a couple months ago..

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Oct 2021 at 5:43pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:49pm
So, you're retired, probably taking in WAY too much union pension, pulling in SS payments  and have nothing better to do with your time than "scan the site" and belittle whomever disagrees with you Stern Smile ? Am I accurate on several statements ???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic