This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5G questions- 6B final drive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clark66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5G questions- 6B final drive?
    Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:43pm
I was able to acquire this Hd5 loader from a heavy equipment graveyard that my brother in law came across with his dumpster/recycling business. Was able to get it for basically scrap price and cost to haul it down to me. The engine runs great, but doesn't steer at all, just forward and back. 
As I started to put a closer eye on things as far as what I needed to get it operating besides replacing the steering clutches, some other things naturally appeared right away-
First, the gear selector handle was basically loose and didnt feel like it was connected to anything. Not sure if something shook loose during transport, but was able to eventually find reverse with the help of a small pry bar to get it backed off the trailer. I did find a similar situation in past threads that has insights on how to fix the linkage, so that is a big help.
I also noticed when I looked under the tractor that the caps on the left side of the truck frame pivot shaft were completely missing.  The next thing I found was that the serial number on the back of the final dive housing started with HD6B? not 5B.
Im guessing the final drive housings on the HD6-5 are the same on the outside? 
I thought that some of the internals of the final drives were different from the HD6-5B.

If anyone could shed some light on that would be helpful, especially if the part numbers are the same for both machines for the truck pivot caps?
 Also any input on the pictures on condition of the undercarraige. Did notice one idler is solid and one spoked?  Bushings have some wear but not real terrible. I also found the master pin on track on one side looked loose like it was missing a spacer possibly. Seems at some point parts from a HD6 were swapped
Thank you for the input, Im fairly confident uploads/6458/IMG_3228.jpg I can get it back to working condition for occasional use on our small blueberry farm-
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 7:10am
yes, same rear housing and many common parts except engine.  so interchangable for parts in back end until later 6's had a final drive shaft spline change
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 4:55pm
I should have some spair cap for pivot shaft and about the cluchs they maybe just need adjustement and the final drive housing is the same off HD6 .
clark66 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clark66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 12:05pm
Thank you gemdozer, how about a master bushing spacer? For master pin on track. Part# 051839 ?

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 3:33pm
 I have 2 spacers but not sure if these are for HD5  and dimention   outside is 2.007 inch ,inside1.377 inchs and tickness .338 and the pine should be 1.375 inch and if the link have some loose up and dan it should be the the pine is worn in bushing.
rcwitzel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcwitzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:10pm
Clark66 - If gemdozer does not have the caps, let me know.  I have them.  I also have transmission and other parts.

The link below goes to a site that has new parts and links to manuals you can print.

clark66 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clark66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:11am
Ok thank you, I’m going to crawl around the machine one more time to try to get a good list of parts that I’m going to need right off the bat-
Need to get to the steering clutches and brakes- I don’t think they are going to break loose, also that gear selector is totally loose and must be apart down there, it was real tricky to get in gear. Thanks for the leads!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 11:59am
2 parts of the shifter wear and make for hard shifting , in the tower on trany there are 2 bolts - one each side - these go into a tube inside tower - bolts wear as dose the tube , in the tube is a pin which goes into yoke this also wears as does the hole in yoke - a larger size pin needs to be put in and then the bolts replaced to hold that pin which you need to grind some flats into so bolts can hold it in place. Next is the ball shape on bottom of shifter - this needs to be welded larger and thicker to fit into shifting rails .
  have done several of these modifications and ended up with a positive shifter and tight shift lever rather than floppy feel when finding a gear .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic