This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dad in the R62

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dad in the R62
    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:53pm
Some 60 years ago he said he used a 3 wheeled MM comine he called "one weed Pete" because it took one big weed to choke it up. Then came an E3. He put lots of hours on that one, it's the first combine I can remember. Then came the F3. He ran that for several years and then traded up to the L3, bought it brand new in 85. He ran that L3 and another L3 he bought 12 years ago  over 1000 plus acres a season. Several times he'd go over 1800 acres in the fall when he cut my uncle's crop. 

September 2020 he came down with covid and damn-neart died. It's been a struggle for him since. Last fall was the first time in some 60 years he was not in the combine. That was very difficult for him. This past summer he did all the spraying and did fine. This fall still feeling the effects of covid and having gall bladder removed and a blood cancer that requires him to receive  blood once a week, he was pretty weak. 

So I'm grateful that for the last 3 days, he's been able to run the "new R62". He's taken to it like a fish to water. He is 77...but when he is in the seat, he's at his prime. My 21 year old son took his turn in the seat of the R62 while dad sat in the buddy seat. I told him "ask lots of questions and LISTEN". His response, "Yeah, I know, I know..." 
   Thanks
Leon B MO

Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 8:36am
Looking good Leon ! Keeps him going !
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 9:21am
Great read!! Hopefully your father and Gleaner will be around for many years to come. Ryan

Edited by Ryan Renko - 26 Sep 2021 at 8:17am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 10:47am
Thanks for sharing. More pictures???
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 9:24pm
That's what keeps some of the older fellow going, Let him do what he can and keep an eye on him.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:17pm
     You are right Dan, today he said he wasn't feeling quite right, so "he" chose to stay out of the machine. I won't tell him he can't so I'm glad he knows his limit's. Hopefully he will be ready when the beans are.  
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:09pm
Leon, nice Dad stories. Thanks for sharing. I know your Dad is enjoying your new R62’s cab. Try to keep its AC running top notch for him. If he is like me, post Covid effects still make me sweat fierce. My K2’s AC is shot. On a 90+ degree day my door & window are open, but I still have to quit earlier cause of the heat.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:41pm
The cab is wonderful, spacious, good visibility, clean and very similar to the L3. With dad's situation, he can't be in any dust. We've shelled 100 acres of corn (the corn seems to to be dirty this year) and the cab is dust free. A very big upgrade from the L3. The AC in the R62....the previous owner did not clean the evaporator enough, the air flow seemed poor. I did take it out (lines still attached) and blew 120lb air through it for an hour to finally get the bean dust out of it. That evaporator is not real fun to get to. As well as the heater core. Installed two new cab filters, new high pressure switch, a good charge of Freon and it is doing fine. Dad asked me the other day, it was about 85 degrees, "how do I turn the AC down?" I forgot to tell him about the oddly placed temp setting control. 
     Today we got a late start, dad was in the R62, I ran the tandems to the bins and my son took the day off work to run the cart in a very long field we have that needs to be weighed. Bin is full at both ends. Dad don't want nothing to do with unloading on the go. Put 6000 bu in the bin today in 6 hours. That's a good day....
Leon B MO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic