This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor tire swap...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractor tire swap...
    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 4:51pm
Question...

Would a  16.9x28 on 15" rim fit on a wd-45 ,

and would a 13.6-28 tire, (rim size???) work on a D17 Series one with a narrow front?

Was thinking hmm with the D17 with such small wheels do I have a "low rider"?  Need to add bouncing hydraulics on  the front...

Reason I want to swap is I want to make the D17 foot print as low and small as possible so as to facilitate flail mowing my orchard.

If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Sponsored Links

im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 6:36pm
Just took 13.6-26’s off a 17 an hour ago. They were on combine wheels.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:06pm
Well seems the D17 will take the 13.6's

But will a WD45 handle a 16.9x28 on 15" rim?
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:39pm
Yes— my father has them on his 45 from a 185. Can not spin all the way in with the on the original tires, will hit fender and the adjuster were switched. I know there was some rigging, just forgot what was done as that was 40 years ago. The last set of 16.9’s he put on may spin in as they are not as wide, will probably never find out though.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:16pm
>>>I know there was some rigging

Well thats an uh-oh for me given my knack for screwing something up.    I wouldnt want them on the wd45 as a permament thing, just want to avoid having to buy a set of rims/tires  at this time.  Thanks!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:18pm
The 45 won’t work for mowing?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by TomYaz TomYaz wrote:

Well thats an uh-oh for me given my knack for screwing something up.    I wouldnt want them on the wd45 as a permament thing, just want to avoid having to buy a set of rims/tires  at this time.  Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind when buying tractor tires:  They don't get cheaper!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:56am
Originally posted by DSeries4 DSeries4 wrote:

Originally posted by TomYaz TomYaz wrote:

One thing to keep in mind when buying tractor tires:  They don't get cheaper!

Exactly!  Had a clusterFK with the WD45 tire that cost me $800 when it was all said and done...(long story)
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

The 45 won’t work for mowing?

Engine is worn out and underpowered.  Want to put on a 72" flail.  Plus no power steering.
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:30pm
Have 14.9-28 on 13" rims on my WD and that's all the bigger I'd care to go, WD45 has taller fenders though so 16.9 would be equivalent. Can't spin in more than 2/3 of the way.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:29am
I have 16.9 28's on my WD45 no problems and I can spin them all the way in, BUT an owner before me and before the bigger welded about a 3/8" spacer on the inside of the fender mounts and mounted the fenders inside the brackets instead of outside. Works well and no one notices.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:30am
16.9 pics

Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 6:31am
I have seen two sets of the fender supports with the spacers welded on them. I suspect these where factory built for some application, but I haven't found out what application.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

16.9 pics

that dont look to shabby...so my 16.9s on 15" should work...was there any mods done to make it so ? (not talking about those duallys...)...Lonn mentions some fender supports?

Edited by TomYaz - 16 Sep 2021 at 6:52am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

I have seen two sets of the fender supports with the spacers welded on them. I suspect these where factory built for some application, but I haven't found out what application.

I put them on that 45 because of the 16.9's. They help but you still can't spin the tires all the way in. No big deal to me, they work great where they are.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:17am

AC 720 Man, you asked a question in that thread I didn't get answered. I believe the 6080 is a 1984 model. Dad bought it new when I was a senior in high-school. I'll try to remember to check the serial no.

TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:33am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

I put them on that 45 because of the 16.9's. They help but you still can't spin the tires all the way in. No big deal to me, they work great where they are.

Thanks....Having the 16.9s on the WD45 for me would be a temporary affair..I would want to have the smaller tires but would need to hold off as the $ goes to higher priority things.  WD45 will be the chore tractor and like the D17 as the sprayer would like it to have a small foot print too..If all goes well will probably sell the 16.9s and rim.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic