This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a HD5 generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a HD5 generator
    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 9:34am
Im looking for a replacement generator for my 1949 HD5. The bearings are bad in mine.

Delco Remy 12V p/n 1100963 

Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 6:06pm
Unless you are doing a restoration just put a Delco alternator on it. Find a alternator with the shaft to put the double belt pully from your generator on it.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 7:13pm
My localgenny repair shop put new bearings in one off my 6g's, but that's been 20 years ago.
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:06pm
Yes, I thought about converting over to an alternator. It will take some time to fab up new brackets. Hoping to just find a replacement because I need to get it back to work.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:13pm
I would bet a 1955 chevy generator or a  1960 D series tractor generator would fit.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:17pm
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/chevrolet/belair/parts/10240.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0NmIq6Ol8gIVCe3tCh2_vgjiEAQYAyABEgKMF_D_BwE

dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:22pm
Thanks! That looks very similar. I'm sure I can get it to fit. I'm going to check with my local auto parts store.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:25pm
NAPA or other should have something... If you want PROFESSIONAL help, call STEVE at B&B and give him your MODEL NO... Im sure he can duplicate it..

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 10:51pm
Bearings are easy to replace - your generator uses a cut-out relay to control the charge . 
If you switch over to a Delco 10SI alternator the present pulley from generator will fit but the speed will be low and to get it to charge you need to rev engine to high RPM to get it to charge . 
 I found a 2 belt pulley off a GMC truck alternator but was for small thin belt - I had to machine it out to accept 2 - 5/8" belts and being smaller in diameter it turns alternator faster for charging 
 Nonce thing with 10SI is it is internally regulated so only 1 wire as you take a wire from battery side and hook to one of the spade lugs on alternator as sensing wire for unit. 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 10:56pm
Problem with using a car generator is most use a bushing in rear armature support and that brass bushing will not handle the load - replacing the present bearings with sealed ball bearing should be a easy job if you have a impact wrench to remove front pulley . 
  Automotive units also use a 3 terminal regulator and you need a switch in wire or regulator points will close and drain battery unless unit is running - 10SI uses a diode so no back-feed to unit when stopped .  

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 09 Aug 2021 at 10:59pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 8:25am
Thanks for the reply, Coke. I'd replace the rear bearing but if you look at the pic, you can see that it wore through the top of the rear flange. Maybe I can find a used one for parts?

Is Hector still on the forum? I got other parts from him a few years ago. I couldnt find him by name search.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 10:05am
The issue with putting any old alternator on, other than what Coke referenced is that, other than the one wire alternator, the rest of them (externally excited) need a switch to shut them down or they will run the battery dead just sitting. Should you replace the generator  and  add a new regulator mind the regulator polarization instructions or you will be buying another one. 

Edited by Tad Wicks - 10 Aug 2021 at 10:11am
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by dyno dyno wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Coke. I'd replace the rear bearing but if you look at the pic, you can see that it wore through the top of the rear flange. Maybe I can find a used one for parts?

Is Hector still on the forum? I got other parts from him a few years ago. I couldnt find him by name search.
yes,  Hector goes by gemdozer

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 10:25am
Thanks for the contact.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 3:08pm
It looks like rear bearing failure lead to armature eating through outer bearing race along with end plate - so a new armature along with new end plate would be needed - then front bearing has to also had damage from angle change of armature - 
  Making a bracket to hold a 10SI is easy using present base - and adding spacer 
O know I have couple generators and starters around here but have not seen them in 25 years so where I stored them ???? ( ME BAD ) but someday I will find them like the lost 10 mm sockets set aside for safe keeping .
  Between British bike parts / AC crawler parts / White Truck parts and other one of these days projects I seem to have enough projects to last until long after I stop caring 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic