This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pin Hitch VS Snap Coupler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCA52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pin Hitch VS Snap Coupler
    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 4:39pm
Which style of hitch is better for pulling on a CA, I have one of each
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 5:01pm
The best drawbar is one that is as SHORT and HIGH as the rules allow and bolted solid so it cannot move when put under a pull. Unfortunately, I see a lot of snap-coupler drawbars that move down when you step on them (WD45), which isn't what you want. So, with that in mind, you simply need to get things so they cannot move/flex when under a pull, regardless of which type of hitch you use.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 7:28am
We have pin on WD and a snap on the 45. Both have been doing ok at the pulls. I agree high and short and tight. Dr Allis is right on.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:54am
Yes. Stand on the short snap coupler and then measure it. Works for me . Finished 21st out of 76 in the 4500 lbs class. 130 am.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:56am
76 tractors in that class! Holy geesh how long did that take!?
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:01pm
Either would do just fine for the occasional puller. If you are serious and want to be competitive in all situations. You need to make a hitch that fully adjustable. 
 #1 do away with the traction booster sensing spring. Years ago I just replaced the spring with a piece of pipe.  
 #2 have a hitch that will adjust further back than the minimum 18", I know this goes against others opinion, however I can demonstrate that this can sometimes help, the trick is knowing when to lengthen the drawbar and when to leave it short. I also have a winning record of nearly to 4 decades of pulling a CA.  I have locally dominated the 2500 pound class anywhere around me that at most places have either quit running the class because the number of entries fell off or they initiated speed limits so slow that only half-engine tractors go that slow. One place still has a REAL 2500 pound class, without a speed limit.
   Here is a picture of the front hitch point on my CA drawbar. The shortest hole is at 18" the other two holes add 6" for each location. 

Edited by PaulB - 17 Oct 2021 at 6:07pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic