This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7080 first engine startup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YZfarms1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7080 first engine startup
    Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 9:02pm
Good evening forum members.  This is a continuation of my original post from last winter....price of a crappy 7080...  I finally started the engine today for the first time.  I had to purchase a new starter, and have the injection pump rebuilt, among other more minor issues.  It started easily, and runs smooth, but makes a loud popping sound that is consistent with engine speed.  I would not call it a ticking sound. Nor would I call it a banging sound either.  Popping is the correct choice.
    Initial advice from more knowledgeable  people is that it is a stuck valve.  I was instructed to remove the  426  inline six  valve cover and identify the culprit. Once identified, do  I just keep lubing the stuck valve while spinning it until it moves freely ? 
Or is there another possibility ?    By the way, the 426 is not the 3750 version that should be in the 7080.  It is actually a 3500 version.  Someone obviously changed it years ago. 
I will continue to seek the forums advice on issues as they arise during my tractor restoration project.  This is my first time.  Be gentle !

Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 9:13pm
Sounds like a push rod off. Did you turn the engine over several times before adjusting valve lash? You did adjust valves?            
Does the popping sound come from intake?            MACK
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 5:35am
I had a noise and it turned out an injector was loose in the head. Check the hold down bolts on them.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:13am
Turns out that was the issue here too. Glad it's something simple!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic