This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help identifying AC Dozer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1badmopar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help identifying AC Dozer
    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 11:33pm
Hello. I am in the process of obtaining an AC dozer from my cousin’s ranch. I’m looking to move it about 50 miles over to my ranch. Its been sitting about 20 years, but was used around the ranch without issue until that time. They bought it at an auction back in the early 80’s from a neighboring ranch.   However no one can remember the model number or year of manufacture. Since I am in the process of acquiring it, I have started wondering what model it is. I think it is an HD15 due to the twin air cleaners but that is just a wild guess. Any help would be appreciated!

[
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 3:13am
The model number will be atamped with the s/n on the upper right corner of the rear face of the finals housing. Toward the right track below the fuel tank.

Looks like a HD16
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 3:44am
Is that a blower in the first photo and if it is I don't think a HD 16.  

And it has crank area access covers on the LHS
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 4:59am
This dozer is a HD15 with a 671 DETROIT DIESEL
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 1:03pm
Looks like a Detroit to me and is not a HD 14, so it has to be a HD 15. Unless someone spent a lot of time modifying a HD 16.
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 4:31pm
Could be an HD-19.
1badmopar View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1badmopar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 7:54pm
Browsing through the Internet I had read somewhere that the twin air cleaners were a giveaway for the HD 15. Due to the 671 supercharger on the side of the Detroit.   That’s what led me to possibly think it’s a 15, but again I’m not sure.
1badmopar View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1badmopar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 7:55pm
The next question I would have is does anyone know how to adjust the track tension on this model of dozer?   
Is it a grease zert like some of the more modern dozers, or is it a nut and thread?
Russ P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:34pm
I don't know the answer to your question but I'll give a llittle unsolicited advice. 

An old dozer that has been sitting for 20 years will very likely turn into a money pit and time waster.  

I have been there, and won't go back there. Smile
1badmopar View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1badmopar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 9:58pm
Russ,
 I hear you, and don't disagree.  I just hate to see old equipment rot away.  I have restored quite a bit of it over the years, but never messed with the AC stuff.  I figured I would tinker on it and see what happens.  I have some newer equipment for the real work, this would simply be a hobby.  The lack of parts availability does worry me a bit though. Once I pin down the model number, I will order a good set of shop manuals and start reading.  Will see where it goes. 
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 4:43am
The serie number should be stamp on rear housing right side
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 11:00am
definitely a 15 with 6-71 and those engine side rails are early style, 16 is different.  Parts wise,  most items,  seals and bearings are common.  engine parts readily available.  Transmissions rarely give trouble,  bearings are  common, we put 1 in this winter.    Salvage yards out there for parts if needed.  Worst issues would be with undercarriage and this one doesnt look shot from pictures so with limited use will last a long while.    here is my dads 15 in front of my 16.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 24 Jun 2021 at 11:09am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 8:07pm
One late catch, the rails are on backward, Grouser is supposed to be Lead end of shoe not tail, probably trying to wear the 'Back Side' of well worn bushings out.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 8:00pm
The chains look good. Could be bad adjusters. Rear sprocket looks OK in the pic best I can tell. I would check the fuel out, make sure pump is free and give it a whirl. Good Luck! Nice looking water behind her!Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 8:39am
Without measuring, the chains can appear good and be trashed.  Found that out on my 7G, measured at 110% worn slick but looked OK, Bushings externally were still decent looking too.

Edited by DMiller - 03 Jul 2021 at 8:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic