This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixable or sell for parts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangeTractorPower39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixable or sell for parts?
    Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:45pm
So I've made a post or 2 about my 1939 Model B, but I have a question regarding my sickle bar that I have for it (It think its a No. 5 Power Mower but I'm not to sure) I was on my way back to my house with a wood splitter after I was finished splitting wood, and I was coming up to the entrance of the field that neighbors my house, and the top of the sickle bar snagged onto a tree branch, lifted the tractor and broke it broke (not sure what its called but I think it has something to do with angling the bar) anyway is it weldable? I'd hate to get rid of it and I didn't get much use out of it. I don't need hard I just need possible. The picture might not be clear on what broke, I can get better pictures later if needed. 
Sponsored Links

KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:23pm
Looks like carbon steel. If so, it can be repaired. Straighten anything bent. Grind down to point the edges of the broken part and fill weld them together. Grind and polish weld and noone will know there was a repair and it will be at least as strong as new.
OrangeTractorPower39 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangeTractorPower39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:42pm
Luckily there is nothing bent, and the break is not flush its kinda deep so it might be hard to grind that part but the part that broke on of it i can, I'll see what i can do. Thanks for your input Big smile
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 3:52pm
Just grind the big part flush... take the round small shaft and grind the end as mentioned to a point.. About a 45 degree angle all the way around.  Tack weld the bar in place, then look to see that it is square.. Pound with a hammer if you need to align.. Weld a bead all the way around down in the VEE and then examine again for "align".. Pound as needed to get it in alignment.. Grind the FLUX our real good... Dont leave any.. Weld a pass and grind, weld and grind, etc... You should be using 7018 rod if you have a DC welder.. If it is AC, do the best you can with your 60xx rod.... If you have a local guy that welds available, take it to him... wont take him an hour to fix.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 4:04pm
the shaft does not necessarily need to be ground to a POINT.. it could be about 1/4 inch flat on the end... Your weld will burn in and take care of most of it..  The "yellow" is the weld in this drawing.. Shows how to grind ONE PART at an angle and the OTHER part FLAT. ..... they left a FILLET in the weld on the shaft. You might not have that option... might have to grind flush with the shaft to get assembled.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 5:59pm
I would find a parts mower and swap the part out.  Although I might just have a NOS one in the barn. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic