This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L3 Dennison Hydro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L3 Dennison Hydro
    Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:19am
Hey guys!

How concerned should a guy be looking at a late ‘84 L3 with a Dennison hydro? I’m looking at one that’s in good mechanical shape, and has the Dennison. I’ve heard they’re a stronger hydro but very costly to work on, whereas the older Dynapower 6x6 are a dime-a-dozen. What exactly is “costly” in regards to the Dennison?
The combine drives well, gets up to speed quickly, and has one weird quality I’ve never noticed on any other old hydro machine I’ve ran...the hydro doesn’t whine. All the old hydro Gleaners and cotton strippers I’ve ran have had a distinctive whine when moving the machine but this one is very quiet. Is that a good thing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:47am
It's a good thing, there's enough whining in the world these days!  

J/K, sorry, I don't know anything official on your question.....But welcome back, how's it going???!
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:58am
Find a good hill to climb in road gear - while going up the hill see if the decrease in speed is due to engine rpm pull down - if so good - if the speed decreases and the engine rpm does not - hydro or belt issues.   Country boy diagnostic method w/o tools and gauges.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:46am
Hey Tbone, it’s going pretty good all things considered. All done with school so now it’s 8-5 in the real world...ugh

tbran... this is going to sound funny...I appreciate the suggestion but the problem is it’s in a very flat part of Kansas with no significant slopes, and the place it’s going to is equally flat. But I’ll see what I can do!
Northern Hoser View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:46am
I've got an 86 with a weak hydro, slows on hills, hard to get above 10 mph in the field with any sort of load on. Bought a good used replacement hydro for $2500... Been sitting on the shop floor for over a year.

Weak hydro is more an issue for road use so I haven't bothered swapping it out.

They will act nice with cold oil. If you can't find a hill, get it warm and up to road speed, slow down a bunch then push the control lever forward to speed up. It should haul the engine down and build boost as it speeds up. If it doesn't, it'll be making a strange noise, possibly chugging a bit as it speeds up. That's the hydro slipping...

Local dealer/salvage yard (Canada) says $2500 plus for salvage hydros, and $5-6k rebuilt.

It's pretty easy to take the hydro out as well

Matt
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:55am
Duuuuuummmb question I'm sure, never really operated anything hydro......but, could you apply both brakes and load down engine vs. slip hydro?  Brakes probably operated through hydro huh?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:01pm
TBone... that could possibly work, the brakes aren’t tied to the hydro. Each side has its own master cylinder. The issue that could be present, and that I didn’t check,... most of the times those steering brakes don’t work and the cylinders are pitted up from lack of use since with a hydro, it acts as a brake.

But I’m sure I’ll figure something out!

Edited by CrestonM - 11 May 2021 at 1:09pm
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:46pm
Tie a chain to a vehicle and have them apply the brakes to mock a load on the hydro. Coordinate with cell phones. Side road obviously, not on any Interstate Highway!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:16pm
Stan, I thought of that too!  
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:04pm
We've been running 2 Denison hydro L'3's forever. We've also had to replace couple, not due to slipping but the input shaft seal would leak more and more. Either machine don't like hills in 4th but will leave bark marks in the gravel in 2nd or put you in the windshield. The R62 we just bought don't like 4th but when I tested it before we bought it, it left marks in the gravel in 2nd gear with duals. Both of our L3's have RWA so when coming to a hill in transport we kick it in and it slows the machine down and the hydro does just fine. 
 When you test the machine, put it in 2nd gear (that's the gear you'll be harvesting in), put your feet against the bottom of the windshield, throttle wide open, move the hydro lever full foreword then neutral then full reverse as fast as you feel you can safely. You should hear the engine pull a bit and a bit of a hydro whine until it catches up. But a good hydro will move the combine pretty quick. You'll know if it feels right. 
 If you don't have any hills, the input shaft doesn't leak and you feel good after that test, that hydro is not something I'd worry about. 
  Raddle chains, cylinder bars, clean grain boot and board, unloading auger, bin floor, shoe bushings, walker blocks, pan bushings, chopper bearings and knives. You could spend hundreds just replacing chains and sprockets. Engine, we've had trouble with filter base leaking oil, Not a fun fix. Two years ago, we had the thought off to replace bearings and the pan under the walkers out, I could have crawled through the machine from front to back.
  I do wish you the best of luck, I think the L3 is one of the best combines Gleaner built, hell of a combine for it's day, big, simple, reliable and won't cost you an arm and a leg today. But with 950 acres, we thought it was time to upgrade to the R62. We are keeping one L3 to back up the 62...just in case...
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 3:29pm
Thanks for the tips, Leon! I’ll definitely give those a try next time I see the combine! It’s about 250 miles away so it might be a week before I can get back to check up on it.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Stan R Stan R wrote:

Tie a chain to a vehicle and have them apply the brakes to mock a load on the hydro. Coordinate with cell phones. Side road obviously, not on any Interstate Highway!!

I'm glad I read your post before I made the SAME comment, although I was going to say a tow "strap" LOL
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:02pm
Hey guys, I took delivery of the combine yesterday, throttled up in 2nd gear, pushed the hydro forward quickly, and it spun its tires in the dirt, so I take that as a good sign!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 11:15pm
i will start heading east with the wd and all crop 66  and we can start in texas work to canada
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 8:27am
That sounds like a plan! We might have to start in Oklahoma, they’re already cutting in Texas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic