This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6080 PTO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6080 PTO
    Posted: 03 May 2021 at 7:54pm
Good evening folks! Haven’t visited in a while and I have a question about my 6080 pto. Yesterday I was spreading fertilizer and I pulled up on the shifter and disengaged the clutch handle and started it back up. I jumped out to trip the spreader and the pto started slowly turning and now will not shut off with the lever disengaged. It was working correctly in another field I just finished 5 minutes before this. I haven’t had time to check adjustments yet but I figured I’d ask here of others who know of any obvious tell tale signs.
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:43pm
My guess is throw out bearing went through fingers, cable broke or throw out bearing went out.             MACK
Casey08 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:52pm
That is a start...thank you for your reply Mack! You’ve been very helpful to me in the past. When I get some time this week I’ll check the cable and adjustment.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:57pm
A little confused on how you operated the pto. If I am understanding you correctly you pulled up on the pto engagement lever on the left of your seat and then disengaged the pto disconnect lever (pulled it back)?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Casey08 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 9:05pm
Sorry I was kind of vague with my explanation. I finished the second field I was working on and I pushed the lever down on left side seat to disengage pto. I made my way over to the third field and shut tractor off. Pulled up on the lever left of seat and disengaged pto clutch lever (pulled it back) and restarted tractor. I got out to trip spreader and as I was doing that the pto started turning with the lever still in the disengaged position.

Edited by Casey08 - 03 May 2021 at 9:07pm
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:55pm
Ok, thanks for the explanation. Normally, you did the steps backwards but you did say the tractor wasn’t running when you engaged the pto and disengaged the temporary disconnect. The proper procedure is to bring the tractor to idle, pull back on the disconnect lever, then pull up on the pto engagement lever on the left side of the seat. Then slowly release the temporary disconnect lever. I have turned our 6060 off to engage the pto just because I never like hearing it grind as it engages, then I start the tractor and then release the disconnect lever. Is the pto engagement easy to move up and down? If so the coupling may have came loose in the transmission.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 5:21pm
If AC would have used a hydraulic PTO clutch like on other models life would have been so much simpler than the GOOFY engineering of FIAT. 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:39pm
Allis didnt have the $$$$$$ for all that !!
Casey08 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:55pm
AC720Man I have always shut the engine off to engage it like that. I don’t like to grind gears either.

You’re on point with the hydraulic pto engagement. If the pto worked on the 6080 like it does on my 7020 that would be awesome!
Casey08 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:56pm
And the pto engagement isn’t any easier or difficult than normal.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:24pm
sounds like cable from lever needs adjusted if lever still feels the same. Could have a rivet from clutch hub behind clutch disc.           MACK
Casey08 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:50pm
I will let you know what I find when I do get to looking at it, thank you again!
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:37am
I believe there have been other discussions about the 6080 pto issues.  Was this a common issue with the 6080 pto?  Why is that?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:23am
Dave,  It is a Fiat abomination. 
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Dave (NE) Dave (NE) wrote:

I believe there have been other discussions about the 6080 pto issues.  Was this a common issue with the 6080 pto?  Why is that?

Only common PTO issue is the pin coming out of the rear end and braking the PTO shaft internally.   We got 2 6080’s with right around 10,000 hours and no issues.   We got another with what I believe is 16,000 hours and I bought it with a broken shaft but it suffered greatly from neglect by a previous owner.   Some reason the PTO is beyond Bill’s comprehension.  No it’s not as nice as a 8000 but beats the D series.   
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Casey08 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 4:19pm
So I went through beginning to end and adjusted the linkage assembly per the service manual and in the last step of adjusting the hand lever cable it appears the cable is quite stretched and I’m out of adjustment. I did get the pto to stop turning after the adjustments but have ordered a new cable. Just can’t get all the slack out with what I’ve got. I believe the cable to be original
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Ky.Allis Ky.Allis wrote:

If AC would have used a hydraulic PTO clutch like on other models life would have been so much simpler than the GOOFY engineering of FIAT. 

It would be nice if they had a power shift too but then they would have cost as much as an 8010
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:40am
I wonder how much money AC spent fixing the problem with engine thrust bearings caused by the PTO design? I'm sure there were several engine blocks replaced under warranty.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:11am
millions... the test units had no issues because the owners were high hour users and were instructed as to the proper use of the pto ... when the units sold, after a few hundred hours of leaving the yellow handled lever back - and the early hard staring engines resulting in lots of thrust pressure with no engine oil pressure - the results were what we saw.  There was a campaign to switch out the thrust brgs to slotted flange ones first which did no good.  It was a group in panic mode as the failures came in.  Harvey crossed the arms and said it was not their fault, but did assist in a fix , but the bill was astronomical that the tractor division had to shoulder.  The front support and the later side thrust flange crank and brg was the $olution. One of the nails in the AC coffin...

Edited by tbran - 11 May 2021 at 8:12am
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:39am
Similarly, the "black" 7000 was tested in Arizona round the clock, but never placed on a Wisconsin dairy farm to get started in winters cold temps to figure out you couldn't get it into gear and if you did, you couldn't get it back out of gear...…………….
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:24pm
A dear old friend once said" once again, Allis had rescued failure from the brink of success" This quote comes to mind quite often.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic