This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

loaded tires - bounce at top speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: loaded tires - bounce at top speed
    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:22pm
I took my D17 out on the road for a test drive to confirm no issues with gears.  In high gear-top speed I am getting a noticeable tire bounce that feels like a tire/wheel of round.  The tires are loaded so I am wondering if that is the issue.   I am not sure of the history of the tractor and was wondering if it was sitting a long time whether that is the issue.   If so,  will this go away over time?   I can live with it but it would be nice not to have it happen.   
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:26pm
If they set a long time they will get flat places. Will smooth out.           MACK
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:28pm
Often the power adjust wheels are the cause of the flat spot. Make sure all of the eccentrics are turned all the way. On the tractors with only 3 eccentrics, I sometime need to put a shim in the solid block before tightening the other three.
 When you have Calcium solution in your tires, It's not If your rims will rust out, but WHEN. Get rid of it.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Often the power adjust wheels are the cause of the flat spot. Make sure all of the eccentrics are turned all the way. On the tractors with only 3 eccentrics, I sometime need to put a shim in the solid block before tightening the other three.
 When you have Calcium solution in your tires, It's not If your rims will rust out, but WHEN. Get rid of it.  

If a rim rusts out with CaCl2 in them it’s because your negligence not the product.   You have too be smart enough to work with the product most aren’t.   I handle it by the 1,000’s of tons at my day job and have it in nearly all my tractor tires with zero worries.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 9:02pm
I agree with Mack.  If the tractor sits for an extended period of time the back tires will get flat spots.  Give it a run on the road and things will smooth out as the tire flex more.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 9:13pm
Musta not drove far....in a mile you'll not notice it.

Back when...I worked for the TWP and the road grader could hop first thing of the day with those 4 drive tires.....nylon tires all do it. Radials won't.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 20 Apr 2021 at 9:17pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 6:25am
How many out there are original owners of tractors that are 50+ years old and have rusty rims due to CaCl2? Once the abuse starts it only gets worse.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Jesse175 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 6:50am
thanks for the input.   I did not drive it real far.    I note differing opinions on the  calcium chloride.   How do I get rid of it?   If I drain it I would still have the residue?   I note someone states I should not have any issues if I deal with it correctly.   What steps do I take to avoid rusting?  The rims I have are in good shape.  Very minor corrosion around the valve stem.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 6:52am

Victory

What is it an owner has to do to prevent Calcium Chloride solution from making its way from inside the tube to outside the tube and next to the rim.

G
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 6:54am
My new rear tires seem to be much worse having noticeable flat spots. Yes driving for a couple miles will probably get them round again. After repairing half a dozen rusted rims I don't fill mine anymore. I am also not farming with them, so the weight is not as big of a issue. Leaky tubes, and leaky fluid is pretty hard to detect untill it has already done some damage. My 2 cents.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 Apr 2021 at 6:54am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:17am
If you replace valve core every 2 yrs and don't poke thorns,wire,etc. through tire,calcium stays inside tube causing no harm. My experience.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:27am
When it got my 7045, it bounced AWFUL.  For months.  I was saving pennies to get new tires, I mean it bottomed out the seat springs.  One day you're driving along,. . . . .and ya' go hmmmm, I'm not bouncing anymore!
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

Victory

What is it an owner has to do to prevent Calcium Chloride solution from making its way from inside the tube to outside the tube and next to the rim.

G

It doesn't. Rubber is impervious to chloride. Chloride will sit in a tube for 200 years and not leak a drop. If a rim has rotted its not due to chloride, its due to someone had a leak at some point and didn't clean it up. When you have a leak with a chloride filled tire, you need to drain the tube, completely dismount the tire from the rim, clean the inside and out with a mild soap/water and a stiff nylon brush, remount tire with NEW tube ( a patch wont work) and refill. My dad, uncles, and their fathers all used chloride and we never had a rotted out rim 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 9:35am
Back on the original question, yes fluid can make a tire bounce at high speed. My Massey in road gear will sometimes almost get the tire to bounce enough to come off the ground.
We were always told at enough speed and with tires 3/4 or more full that friction of the tube/tire and the fluid would sometimes bring the fluid over the top creating an imbalance.
I usually throttle mine up until I just feel the bounce beginning and then just back off a hair and everything is OK
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic