This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B110 brief grinding noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B110 brief grinding noise
    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:25am
With the engine running and in neutral, when I engage the clutch there's a brief 2 second grinding noise.  After the clutch is fully engaged, the noise disappears.  When I change to other gears the same noise is there for the same amount of time.  It's caused by engaging the clutch.

With the engine off and the drive belt off and the transaxle in neutral,  the idler pulley and the transaxle pulley spin smooth, free and quiet.  I pushed and pulled on the shaft for the bevel gear box and there is no play.

I haven't figured out exactly where the noise is coming from.  There is the bevel gear box drive pulley as a possibility, but I haven't figured out a way to test it.

The tractor runs fine otherwise.  I can motor around and mow, it's just that brief grinding noise when I engage the clutch ....

Any tips on how to diagnose the source ?
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:41pm

Pushing the Pedal part way slackens the drive belt for changing gears.

Pushing it farther engages the brake band around a brake drum.

This 'might' be your noise while the drum is still turning.

Disconnect the rod to the brake band and then try it.

G
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 9:21pm
Thanks, it was worth a try.  No luck . 

I disconnected the brake and it didn't make any difference.  As I thought about it, the tractor is in neutral, not moving and nothing inside the transaxle is moving  so the brake is not stopping or engaging any moving parts.

Best I can determine at this point is that the drive pulley on the transaxle is the problem.  Noise is directly created or stopped with its movement.

With the belt off, the pulley spins smooth and quiet.  There's only a little in/out play on the shaft.  There's no up/down - left/right play in the shaft.

That's what I have so far....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 11:32pm
Here's a short video of the problem.   Not sure if this will help or not but someone may recognize the noise.

This is looking down on the tractor with the seat pan up .  I am depressing the brake/clutch pedal and releasing it to reproduce the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gjhnFvVNBs

Edited by dee_veloper - 13 Apr 2021 at 3:17pm
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:31pm
The pulley on the bevel gear box is a half of a pulley which the outer half slips on the inner half to prevent belt grab and wheelies.  There is a nylon washer and a nylon strip bearing. Sometimes this setup will make some noise and that is not unusual. Might be worth taking the washer off ( held on by two 1/4-20 screws) and inspect the condition of the nylon washer and strip bearing. 
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:53pm
oh yes that noise brings back memories 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:12am
Originally posted by ACmowerguy ACmowerguy wrote:

The pulley on the bevel gear box is a half of a pulley which the outer half slips on the inner half to prevent belt grab and wheelies.  There is a nylon washer and a nylon strip bearing. Sometimes this setup will make some noise and that is not unusual. Might be worth taking the washer off ( held on by two 1/4-20 screws) and inspect the condition of the nylon washer and strip bearing. 

Late getting back to this.  I took a look at that pulley and found the plastic to be in great shape.  Not bad for a 50+ year old tractor. 

After putting it back together I noticed the noise was diminished.  Some weeks later now, I don't hear it anymore.   Not sure exactly what changed but I'll take the gift.

thanks for the tip.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:25pm
I'd say you wore the rust off the pulley halves.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic