This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 73 Depth wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 73 Depth wheel
    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 2:39pm
Last fall I had a thread about removing a spindle from a WD narrow front end. Got it removed, the reason I did that was so I could build this depth wheel for the model 73 plow I picked up. Had a piece from a plow frame just the right size, will have to shorten it a bit once it gets mounted.

To start I just torched a hole for the spindle. Die grinder and a carbide bur got it to fit pretty good. had to make a little spacer to keep the hub away from the frame. Now I just need to weld the spindle in. Would have done it this morning but I think they need preheated and didn't want to rush that.

This getting pretty close, hopefully get it in the dirt this spring. Would be nice to pick up a set of cover-boards for it. Great thing is, completely made from junk I had on hand!

Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 2:55pm
I have a few coverboards and some brackets left. What bottoms do you have?
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 2:57pm
Look good Mike, I'll see if I've any cover boards and let you know but thinking they're gone(need better bookkeeping)

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 1:42pm
Thanks Kenny.

Paul, they are No. 374 slat bottoms.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:51pm
Mike, I'll text you
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 2:04pm
Mike, did you get my text?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 2:26pm
Kenny, I did not. I sent you one, maybe we got our numbers screwed up?

So, I got the torch and welder out this morning. Pre-heated things. Welded the assembly together. had to do some custom fitting, AKA, grinding on the hub side so my custom spacer fits right. I really hate welding round things, we have weld-positioners at work that would make this look a lot better. I put three passes on the back side, only one on the hub side.

The hard part is behind me now, just need to clean-up, paint, pack the bearings, and figure out what wheel/tire I'm going to use.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 17 Mar 2021 at 2:32pm
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 2:39pm
Mike should've it now
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:05am
Cleaned things up a little, decided might as well have fresh paint.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:25pm
Had a little unexpected time to work on this today. Got the assembly finished up, packed the bearings, and found a wheel and tire that will work. need to get the plow out of the shed and figure out where to cut this thing off. That's about all that is left to do. Maybe I'll clean up and paint that rim?

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:31pm
Mike, I've  a rim and tire that is like what should be on there that I'll give to you.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:35pm
Cool, thanks Kenny!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 9:28pm
Got this thing mounted on the plow today along with the cover boards I got from Kenny. Mounted it on the 45 and did some preliminary adjustments. Hope it's close when it gets in the dirt.

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 10:36pm
Mike, that looking good
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:11pm
Nothing feels better that building it out of the "pile"!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:22am
Thanks guys, I do enjoy building things like this. Especially if no cash outlay! The 4 bottom semi-mount I brought home recently, (74, 84, not sure) came with a gauge wheel. It's a little different than the one I made, but not much. The spindle is longer, I assume to get the tire out on the land further. If that is an issue I'll turn the wheel/tire around and see how it works.

The forecast looks favorable for the upcoming plow-day, hopefully have some pics of tractors in the dirt.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:10pm
Guess I'll post this here, it's kind of turned into a model 73 project thread. The sway-chains on this thing were in really bad shape, ie not connected at all. Found some new chain at the local farm store, now how to attach it to the plow. Simple, cut link with a bolt-cutter, bend open put the big link on,bend shut, and a spot of weld. Missing one collar, have a plan for that. Just need to see what I can find for material.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 2:45pm
Found a pipe-fitting with about the right dimensions. Got everything put together, just need to get it outside to set the sway.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic