This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is a Maroon belly worth buying?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisconsin_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is a Maroon belly worth buying?
    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 3:06pm
Hi there, I am thinking about going for a 7000 series allis sometime this summer. I talked to my uncle about it, he has been around them his whole life and he is a professional mechanic, and he said the maroon belly ones have way too many transmission problems to make them worth buying.

I would like to know what these problems are, what causes them, and is it worth buying one, or should I save up a little more for a black belly. If you do think the maroon bellies are worth buying, what would you reccomend checking on them when buying one.

Any info is super helpful, thanks
Sponsored Links

jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:08pm
Do you mean just 7000 or the whole series?  I had a 7030 for many years and pulled it hard and never had any transmission issue.  If you are talking straight 7000 that was a different transmission.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
tthams View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tthams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:44pm
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with either black belly or maroon belly. I have been around maroon bellies for the last 20 years. I have seen the engines wear out before the transmission.

It all depends on how often the maintenance is kept up and filters are changed.

If it's well maintained, I would not be afraid to buy it. They are cheap HP.
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:55pm
If your uncle has been around them his whole life then why don't you just ask him?
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 6:35pm
Thats usually how it goes - one person has some trouble with one tractor - rumor spreads - and they are all junk - with no real information on what happened- lol, by now the bugs are worked out- AC really used the hydraulic systems in the transmission and Powerdirectors- just like todays auto transmissions - follow the maintanance scheduele and no problems
DIESEL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIESEL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:00pm
Have both and get along great, I absolutely love my 2 maroon bellies. I'm 42 and they will outlast me.
Wisconsin_Man View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisconsin_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:05pm
Any of the 7000 series
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisconsin_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:08pm
[QUOTE=DougG] Thats usually how it goes - one person has some trouble with one tractor - rumor spreads - and they are all junk

On the contrary, he had a 7020 that he used daily for mixing feed and he loved the thing. I am just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:23pm
He is ignorant. Unless he can be more specific on what kind of failure happens ALL THE TIME, he simply doesn't know what he's talking about. He thinks he does, but he doesn't.
Krazy Karl View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:00pm
It's all on how previous owner ran it. If he was a gear jammer and lack maintenance could have issues. These things have been around for ages. It isn't like warranty is about to expire to cover product defect/workmanship.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:01pm
Right on Dr Allis, 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:30pm
The only transmission failures I have heard of on the 7000 were reverse problems. Many times they could be fixed without splitting the tractor, but you need someone with small hands.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:50pm
The reverse problem is the fault  of operator not the tractor. They are good tractors. Can't think of any transmission changes between maroon and black.
Tell your friends to tell us about the problem.            MACK
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisconsin_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:11pm
I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard about this, instrad of going off of what I was told so far. I would like to get one sometime soon, just thought I'd pop the question out there
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:31pm
I live in Wisconsin and to answer your question directly: No, I've never heard of rear end problems in the 7000 series.

I have heard a lot of rear end problems on the 1066 and 1586 IH's and such.

Anyone know the weight limit on the rear end of the 7000 series before you voided the warranty?
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:18am
I will be more specific. #1. the model 7000 maroon or black are a COMPLETELY different transmission that any other 7000 series.  #2. The 7010 and larger models have a Power Director or Power Shift transmission offered in them. They are pretty much the same from 1973 thru the end of 1981 maroon or black chassis.  #3. The claim of "way too many transmission problems to make them worth buying with maroon chassis" is such a ridiculous statement. Why?? Because which transmission is he talkin about??? You have THREE choices here !!!  Ignorance is being uneducated on the subject being discussed.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:33am
We bought one new and had our share of problems but tranny problems weren't one of them.  the problems we fixed really made it a sweet tractor.   I'd buy one again, in a heartbeat. 
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:42am

I just finished putting custom gears in a maroon 7040 pulling tractor, one of the heaviest trannies out there.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:46am
I wish this page had a like button,!!, Dr Allis, your answers nail it every time, just love it. You always say what some of us are thinking.
KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:02am
In defense of the person who asked the question, I see a broader advantage to ignorance. While the uncle may be ignorant or simply uninformed, asking the question in a forum with expert knowledge is anything but. I may be wrong but I doubt Darin created the forum for experts only. While I understand the natural tendency for experts loosing patience with issues hashed over again and again and with the uninformed and misinformed, it is the interaction between those seeking knowledge and those who have it that makes this forum valuable and popular. The way I see it, lack of knowledge is an opportunity to learn and for those who have to teach.
I also visit other sites dealing with the motorized antique hobby. The same applies on those forums. However, of late discussions are taking place about who will keep the hobby going and perpetuate the knowledge base. I’m thinking supportive discussion which enhances the above may be an important consideration.
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by KenBWisc KenBWisc wrote:

In defense of the person who asked the question, I see a broader advantage to ignorance. While the uncle may be ignorant or simply uninformed, asking the question in a forum with expert knowledge is anything but. I may be wrong but I doubt Darin created the forum for experts only. While I understand the natural tendency for experts loosing patience with issues hashed over again and again and with the uninformed and misinformed, it is the interaction between those seeking knowledge and those who have it that makes this forum valuable and popular. The way I see it, lack of knowledge is an opportunity to learn and for those who have to teach.
I also visit other sites dealing with the motorized antique hobby. The same applies on those forums. However, of late discussions are taking place about who will keep the hobby going and perpetuate the knowledge base. I’m thinking supportive discussion which enhances the above may be an important consideration.
Right on! I was thinking it, but couldn't have worded it any better!
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 11:43am
agreed, said it well...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 2:42pm
Uncle has a burgundy belly 7000 it’s been a decent tractor. Hasn’t been trouble free but far from problematic. Tractor certainly doesn’t owe him anything. My only complaint is not having clear floorboard.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:07pm
JPG great idea on the like button! Don’t forget you do have a thanks button as well. 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

JPG great idea on the like button! Don’t forget you do have a thanks button as well. 

I never saw the "thanks" button before. Is it something new?

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:15am
Thanks button is on my computer but not on my phone.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by KenBWisc KenBWisc wrote:

WELL said Ken.  That is one of the main reasons new comers are afraid to ask questions in the first place.
Anyone remember the first 'dumb' question you asked?  There is NO SUCH THING.  It's been stated on here very often, there are NO DUMB questions.  We all hate to show our ignorance, but eventually we swallow our pride and put our foot in it.  It's called being human.  I for one am glad I am.  If you never make a mistake,,,,,,,,,,you've never done anything.  Just my rant...... can't help on the 7000 questions as I've never had one.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 7:22am
Can't say about a 7000, but we had a 7020 and it was a great tractor for the job we used it for only problem I ever had was with the AC going out.  Hell we had that problem on the 4440 JD as well.
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 10:39am
We have a maroon 7000.  I'm not 100% sure about the year off the top of my head.  It's over 9k hours at this point.  It's a good enough tractor for what it is.  Really good power on the PTO and its pretty easy on fuel.  It pulls ok and did a lot of plowing with 5 bottom AC 2000 plows.  Had its hands full in heavy clay and would often stand the front end up when the traction booster started lifting.  We've done nothing more than bearings and a new injection pump as far as the engine is concerned.  Maybe a water pump along the way somewhere, but the 301 has been really problem free in any tractor we have it in.  

The transmission has been basically problem free.  The rear end,  not so much.  We've been into it several times for broken pinion shafts and a few other things.  

Some things I really don't like about the 7000:
- Hydraulics:  Slow to non-existent below 1300 RPM.  Not really great overall.
- Rough Ride:  Will put calluses on your kidneys in plowed ground 
- No Diff Lock
- Thru floor pedals.  They fixed this on the 7010 by moving to suspended pedals I'm told
- Transmission is not synchronized

Some things I like:
- Easy on fuel 
- Three speed power shift is really smooth 
- Really snappy on the PTO

The cab is what it is,  not fantastic but ok for the era.  Ours has pretty much been retired to silo blower and a stand by hay tedding/raking tractor these days.  But it's earned it's retirement for sure.  

coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 10:36am
pafarmer, keep in mind like the Dr said. the 7000 is completely different mechanically then the rest of the 7000 series. It was just an updated 200 drivetrain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic