This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

301 Gas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 301 Gas
    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 12:42pm
I was wondering what kind of hp a guy could get out of a 301 gas engine realistically.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:57pm
The mighty G-2800/301 gasoline fueled engine in a 190XT had approximately 105 flywheel HP, which is 250 ft lbs of torque @ 2,200 RPM's.  If you double the RPM's to 4,400 and manage to maintain the same torque (doubtful) you'd have 210 HP. There's no tuning that's going to increase your current HP. When tractors were tested at Nebraska Test, they were tuned as good as the engine could be and expect reasonable service life. For more power, you need a larger carburetor for more air flow, which will provide the engine with more fuel. Raising the compression ratio from 8.0 to 1 to 12 or 13 to 1 will increase the power and high octane fuel will be required to keep from detonating. A different grind on the camshaft and larger valves and porting polishing of the cylinder head all increase air flow and that increases HP. A larger carburetor and maybe a modified intake manifold is the only serious bolt-on power increaser. What are your intentions for this engine ?? Most local tractor pulls wouldn't allow you to operate a "stock" tractor at 4,400 RPM's for safety reasons. Most of these mods will render the tractor no good for farm work. A carburetor/intake manifold could be swapped in a short time period and go either way, farm or pull.
allispuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:25pm
It wouldn’t be for farm work it would be a puller. Thought about maybe in a D17. Something to run 10-12mph class roughly. 4500-5500lbs. Just something different. Seems like everyone has a 880 Oliver with the big Waukesha or a 460/560 with a red diamond. Just thought since I’m pretty die hard orange that if it could be done with an allis to compete some it might be fun to ruffle some feathers.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:46pm
You have no idea how "big" those engines are that are going that fast. I know the Oliver's are bored and stroked to 500 cubes and the Farmall's are too. I've built a 301 to 448 cubes many years ago and that still isn't as big as these guys are today. If you want to spend the money, I can sure help you.  4500 lbs for a D-17 chassis with that engine in it will also be a challenge.
allispuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:35pm
Actually I have a pretty good idea how “big” those engines can be. I’ve been involved in pulling for quite a while. I was just thinking of this idea in my head and was wondering if anyone has ever tried to do it before and if so what there experience was with it. And what kind of horsepower you could get out of the 301 gas because I haven’t had many dealings with them especially from a performance side of things.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:41pm
Mack on here has been doing this for years- maybe he will chime in
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:43pm
Three different brand of engines of the same displacement, same camshaft, same carburetor, same air flow thru the cylinder head, etc ,etc, etc should all make nearly the same HP at the same RPM's. Your challenge will be finding  an A-C chassis as light as some of the models you are referring to and planting a 2000 series gas engine into it, and making the weight you desire and still be able to balance the chassis from one track to the next. Good luck.   Edit: and then there's the matter of having the right "gear" for the speed you want to run, if the engine will handle it.

Edited by DrAllis - 22 Feb 2021 at 7:54pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:22am
I have no idea of your local rules, However our club here locally will only allow a replacement engine of the same manufacture, with the same number of cylinders running on the same type ignition (spark or compression), that bolts in without an adapter.  Therefore a D17 gas could only run a 4 cylinder gas replacement engine.
  Those Olivers and Farmalls have the advantage that larger engines bolt in. Then there are those 6 cylinder Molines that can be over 1,000 cubic inches. 
  Does your club allow turbos and increased RPM? That may be the only way to get a D17 gas in the 10-12 MPH. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:41am
500+ ci plenty doable, sent you a message, check your inbox.
steve fischer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve fischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 7:58am
I just put a 301 diesel in a wd45 wow 4 gear burn outs on the tar
mike a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:07am
time well spent steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic