This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

garage furnace repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: garage furnace repair
    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 5:52am
Ah, my yearly 'fun' time...... The 'ignitor' in my garage furnace died. Kinda sad that I KNOW what tools I need and how many bandaids. I keep the garage at 50* as the Kubota's in there 24/7. supposed to be next door...but.......
The 'engineer' who designed this machine NEEDS to come here and FIX it ! 36*F, lights are dim and man there's a LOT of sharp metal 'gotchas' in this box ! Fortunately I have 2-3 spare 'ignitors' on the shelf, above the furnace. Access is rediculous, COULD have place it on the right burner, out in the open, but NO... it's on the left, behind all the wiring and 'computer' and gas lines.....
'engineers'.....
oh well, warm and toasty again...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 6:17am
I feel the same way about Ford's.

My nephew works in research and development for Ford. Been there a long time.
I don't discuss his job with him. He's got 100# on me and a foot taller. I still think I could take him out if need be. We don't go there.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:29am
How many on here use a fuel oil furnace ?

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:42am
Waste oil furnace.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 12:53pm
Had a Ignitor style LP furnace, eventually converted to a Pilot control and changed the program card out to that by the guy that installed it.  Removing the pilot flame was intended to save a WHOPPING $20-40 per YEAR on gas consumption, ended up the ignitors cost enough to offset that along with the excess gas consumption to heat the damn house back up.  MORE enviro lunacy.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 2:01pm
yeah , ignitors should cost me $50 each but I can BARTER !
great 'engineering'... over heat a resistor to ignite the gas, then use it as a 'flame detector' AND let's put the friggin fragile thing ina steel box that rots aways and drops 'bits' onto the ignitor... yup....'engineered' alright.... grrrrrr
I was going to put a shield over it but ran outta bandaids last year....

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 6:41pm
My old furnace had one of those same types.  It wasn't to bad, but it had an equally difficult flame sensor and it was about as reliable as the igniter.  But I usually just had to clean it with some typing paper and it would work again.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 8:14pm
I started doing furnace work, part time, in the early '73's. In 1983 I bought out the shop from an old guy that me how to install and service furnaces, and the equipment to make the duct. 
 In 2001 I retired from the construction industry, and started spending the winter to land of warm weather and sunshine, so doing furnace work has fallen buy the wayside.
 So now I'm thing of selling my stock of duct.

Dusty
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 7:18am
Thinking when do go smaller house(Eventual) will have a Wood fired Furnace, get local boys to cut and supply firewood, maybe go to a DC blower system so can run on a solar array and batteries, that way do not have to rely of Grid for electric or pipelines for gaseous fuels that may no longer exist.  And EPA be damned to show up and tell me to snuff the fires.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 10:06pm
The Amanda furnace I had installed had a ceramic ignitor. The dang thing would fall apart if you passed gas in the next room. I had a couple on the shelf when I scrapped the darn thing. New furnace has been far more reliable that way.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 1:07pm
When I built my house my brother tried to talk me into a outside wood burner and I told him I was building a retirement home, now he buys his wood delivered and his wife talks about firing the woodburner every morning. I have radiant floor heat with gas and a electric furnace, my wife would never be able to fire a woodburner if anything ever happened to me.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 1:59pm
I always told my heating costumers. 
 If you have the trees to cut, the time to cut them, and the ambition to cut it into fire wood, go ahead and put in the outdoor furnace. 

Dusty
Ryanlark View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanlark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 12:55pm
So, did you repair the ignitor? I have the same issue with my ignitor, and I tried to fix it by myself. Everything seemed to be okay, right until I tried to turn it on. Well, it blew up my damn garage door. I got so freaking angry! I only bought that door, and I liked it very much. I even installed a particular module so I could open it from my smartphone. I've called for the guys from https://www.easyfixnashville.com/ already. I hope they will be able to fix it as soon as possible as I wouldn't say I like to leave it open for the night.

Edited by Ryanlark - 02 Dec 2021 at 8:49am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 4:05pm
Years ago when we lived in Wi, we heated the house with a fuel oil furnace, and a fuel oil fired water heater.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:25am
we use a clean burn used oil furnace in our shop it uses about 1600 to 1800 gallons per season depending how cold the winter is, i keep the shop at 62 f 
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 4:07am
Boy I missed something here.  Keep the Kubota's warm?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:34am
Since the Kubota was forced out of the shop next door, it now resides in the house garage. Wife's new car sits in driveway,24/7/365 .
I keep the garage at 50,makes it eeasier for the tractor to start up and the seat isn't frozen.
The 'smart stat' has a 'safety' feature..if it sees <45*F, it'll turn on even with the mode switch set to OFF. Course it doesn't know I leave the garage door open, and will then come on and heat the neighbourhood..... I've since added a door switch to KILL power to the furnace when the door is open.....

Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:11pm
I installed radiant heat in my 40x40 shop, It was a little more costly at purchase however it is so efficient that I hardly noticed much increase in our lp consumption and I keep it at least 50 year round. I believe it has more than paid for itself and boy do I like walking over and turning that dial when I need a little extra heat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic