This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What spark plugs in an Allis WD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What spark plugs in an Allis WD?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:14pm
Figuring it is a good time to acquire some parts for a tune up, and curious what spark plugs people are buying these days for their WDs.

Also, who do you guys go to for good quality new plug wires, distributor caps, points/condensors, etc. these days.
Sponsored Links

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:32pm
Autolite 295
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:21pm
I've been using NKG plugs, they seem to last longer for me than AC or Autolite plugs will.
A NKG B6 is a non-resistor  BR6 equal to an AC 45 or R45.
  For anything electrical I go to   www.brillman.com
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:19pm
Used AC45 for 30 years.  Never an issue.  Hope that helps.  
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:53pm
AC45's work
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:07am
GG,
I have used the Autolite 295's. I like Belden wires. I use NAPA for most of my tune up parts. Have you started on the total restoration journey yet??
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:05am
For cap,rotor,points,and condensor I  recommend echlin from napa or standard blue streak.Anything else seems to be a waste of time and money.For plugs autolite 295 or NOS AC 45s.Echlin #s cap rr145 , rotor rr301, points cs763, condensor rr174  This assuming your WD has a distributor ign system.I would stay away from the sparex tune up kits napa sells as they are china junk.  Blue streak #s 
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:07am
Do they still make AC-45?  We used them in the 40's and 50's.  As engines wore we used the AC 47 and AC 48.  Worked fine. Surprised they are still available.
That said SteveNJ recommends the Auto lite's.  I always find it hard to disagree  with our electrical expert.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by ac45dave ac45dave wrote:

For cap,rotor,points,and condensor I  recommend echlin from napa or standard blue streak.Anything else seems to be a waste of time and money.For plugs autolite 295 or NOS AC 45s.Echlin #s cap rr145 , rotor rr301, points cs763, condensor rr174  This assuming your WD has a distributor ign system.I would stay away from the sparex tune up kits napa sells as they are china junk.  Blue streak #s 
Dave when was the last time you get them, the last time I try to order them was told NLA just curious if the counter person was be lazy the day

garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:59pm
PaulB -- Thanks for the NKG info.

EPALLIS / dawntreader74 -- Used to have some AC45s but I don't think they're made anymore?

Sugarmaker / B26240 -- Glad to know people use the Autolite 295s.

ac45dave -- Oh wow thanks for the info on echlin or blue streak. Will probably go that route for those parts, thanks!

Bill Long -- That was my understanding as well (no more AC45s). Good to know Steve also likes the Autolites.

Seems like the last set I got from AGCO were Autolites.

I've had a few people suggest the Autolite 303s as well. Anyone use them?

Edited by garden_guy - 14 Jan 2021 at 5:59pm
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 7:04am
We've been a Autolite dealer since 1970. We also handle AC Delco, & NGK. We don't have the scarce AC45's though. I've always suggested the engines that are sporting a Magneto, the 295's work great even in worn engines because of the hotter range. If the Tractor is equipped with a Battery ignition (Distributor) if the engine has some wear on it, the 295's work great. If the engine was recently rebuilt, the cooler 303's work good in those freshly rebuilt Distributor fired Tractors. Engines all operate differently from one another, so its finding that sweet spot for your particular Tractor on how it runs. The NGK's work great to. Whatever floats yer' boat I always say.....
Steve@B&B 
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 7:56am
We ran used ones out of my brothers and my small block Chevy.  Lol. Worked great. AC44 and AC43 even those are a bit cooler. Dad appreciated the money savings. 👍
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 8:05am
In the 50s we used Champion, J-8 if I remember right. In the mid to late 60s they no longer worked. I'v often wondered what happened to Champion ?

Dusty   
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 4:54pm
Steve in NJ -- Thanks for this. After seeing your post, I did some digging and found this chart on Autolite's website. Looks like the 295 is a non-resistor plug, and the 303 is as you say a cooler plug (but it is a resistor plug). Looks like there's a 306 which is a resistor plug at the same heat as the 295. I do have a distributor tractor but it hasn't been overhauled since the 1970s... So I figure the 295 or 306 are probably winners for me. Any reason to go for non-resistor vs. resistor, since I don't have a mag?

Ed (Ont) -- Wow, those are quite a bit cooler, interesting. I always hear of people going hotter!

Dusty MI -- Good question, we had lots of stuff that used to have Champions in it around here... Not sure why it all fell apart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic