This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Milk Toast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Milk Toast
    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 7:20pm
Who remembers parents making you Milk Toast when you were a sick kid?
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 7:44pm
Didn't have to be sick to get it. A good way to use up the extra biscuits and milk form ole Jersey. I like it, still have some every now and then. Split the biscuits, toast 'em and pour warm milk over them with a little salt and pepper. Dang it, you done flung a craving on me!
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 7:54pm
Hubert, thanks for sharing memories. We also had a Jersey milk cow(Betsy), that we kids milked by hand. Always about 2” top cream on glass gallon jar of her milk, when you opened the refrigerator.
Dad’s milk toast recipe was electric 2 slice toaster white bread laying on a saucer, maybe some butter spread over top, then lightly sugared, & soaked up with fresh milk.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 9:39pm
We done that with cake that dried out.  Put it in a bowl and add milk!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 3:18am
I've even had it with pancakes.  YES, butter and warm milk.  Always settles a queasy stomach.......unless you eat too much of it.  Don't ask...
I'm with you Hubert, I'm goin to the kitchen!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:33am
Dad gum it and I had things to do. It’s been a long time for me. Don’t have fresh milk/cream but I’ll make do. I use a pinch of sugar and cinnamon.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 9:43am
Wow that was a treat.👍👍👍
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 12:30pm
Not only toast......(milk, sugar, cinnamon), but did the same with sliced apples or rice.

Milk, sugar, cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, with brown rice and raisins is still a dessert for me.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 4:51pm
Hmmm, rice? - yum!! Good ingredients being shared Modirt - thanks.

So, maybe it’s fair to say that Milk Toast could have been/is a quick & simplied version of baked Bread Pudding, minus the eggs?
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 5:06pm
Got a great bread pudding recipe too if you want it.

So here is the another one.......breaded tomatoes.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 10:12am
still make it---- it's one of our faves.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 1:01pm
  I remember my father eating that only alot of the time he didn't toast it. At time that was all they had to eat when things were rough. I never cared for it cause I am not much of a milk drinker.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 12:47am
Granny always fed us little ones that, but she put the milk in a glass, added some sugar/ciminum and we dunked the bread in that and ate it.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 1:12pm
We called it 'sop bread' and it was ... a piece of ham in the skillet to brown a little, then pour the milk in and get it at least warm, in goes the bread to sop up the ham grease and good flavor of the ham ... and that was sometimes supper... I still enjoy it, though have not made it in long time.     Maybe it is time to remember ....
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:04pm
Yeah Floyd, we did that too and also with just plain hamburger.....speaking of which, HOW come it's called HAMburger??  It's beef for cripes sakes...
Got to be where I liked the hamburger one better, cause it always had more grease in it.
"Allis-Express"
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 6:37am
Thanks Ted, i may have to try that...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:44pm
Gonna make hamburger gravy on white bread for supper tomorrow. Jenny has to work so that’s what I’m havin.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 11:30pm
I like it on American fries and make it with a little Worcestershire (sp?) sauce and garlic salt.  Easy on that though, to much really ruins it, and LOTS of onions.  I'm getting hungry again......
"Allis-Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic