This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8.3 Cummins Gleaner?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8.3 Cummins Gleaner?
    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:54pm
How many hrs are they good for assuming regular maintenance. Oil changed etc. Do they throw rods,burn pistons,drink oil? What? Anyone ever OH one?
Sponsored Links

JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 1:04am
I run 2 R62 s with the 8.3,my original one has 8000+ Engine hours and 6300 rotor hours. I had to rebuild the motor at about 7000 hrs because they have an idler gear between the crank gear and oilpump gear and the idler broke and i lost oil pressure. Caught it quickly,but still lost turbo,it locked. Pulled motor down completely and liners where perfect still, so new orings on liners,piston rings and all bearing shells,plus seals gaskets ect. I disassembled the head and all valves and valve guides were all perfect. Very good motor with mid mounted liners ,so no cavitation pits at all on the liners. Dont know why the idler gear failed but otherwise couldnt fault it.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 6:42am
Stay away from the ones with the caps fuel system. Other than that they're good motors.

In fact stay away from any cummins with the caps system.

Edited by Kansas99 - 03 Dec 2020 at 6:44am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
randy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 6:58am
What is a caps fuel system?
CA WD WD45 D17 D17 Diesel 7060 8050 8070
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 7:00am
certainly better reliability than a Duetz 
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 8:54am
This looks like P pump with aneroid valve period. Seen a caps once and this doesn't look like it. From serial # it's a 97

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 03 Dec 2020 at 8:57am
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 9:12am
Caps was only used for a few years, on r65 first few years before sisu motor.  I don't think it was ever on a 62
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
MikeKroupa View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:16am
I had a 2002 R62 with the Caps Fuel System, also a 2005 R65 with the CAPS. Marginal fuel system as its best. Head gasket coolant leakage to the outside of the engine block is common, pretty easy, straight forward repair. I always used genuine Cummins gaskets and bolts if needed. 8.3 mechanical is a good and reliable engine. 97 R62 will have the longer shoe which it needs. Good Luck, Mike 
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 3:39pm
Know of a few overhauled in trucks, not farm equipment.  Each one was complete overhaul, had been run hot.  Have encountered several in farm equipment with head gasket issue, not a hard fix at all.  

8.3 are good solid engines I think.  Start great, run good, and make solid power.
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 5:26pm
At one time around here we had 8.3s in the combine,grain truck, and the 4wd New Holland. Combine had a little over 3500 hrs when we traded it off. It’s still going. There’s a lot of trucks with 8.3s with a lot of miles on them. A good solid engine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by cwhit cwhit wrote:

At one time around here we had 8.3s in the combine,grain truck, and the 4wd New Holland. Combine had a little over 3500 hrs when we traded it off. It’s still going. There’s a lot of trucks with 8.3s with a lot of miles on them. A good solid engine.

Our harvest lineup is all Cummins.... R62, repowered 7580, and truck. All 8.3’s
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 6:36pm
Nothing wrong with the caps fuel pump. It’s only limited by the people working on it that have no clue how to make it work.

Edited by im4racin - 03 Dec 2020 at 6:36pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 7:55pm
Isn't it that doodad on top of the pump,not the pump itself?
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 9:28pm
Caps is basically a high pressure pump like common rail but has a distributor instead of a rail and poppet injections. The injection control valve interrupts fuel flow between ports in the distributor. There are 3 basic parts to the pump assy. The pump next to the gear housing with the big block on the top that holds the pumping chambers and “fill valves”. The injection control valve located between the big block and the distributor housing. And the distributor housing hanging on rear of pump housing. The fill valves open to allow fuel into pumping chambers   The time open is related to pressure required. The icv interrupts fuel the pump builds as needed to change timing and stop flow between ports as the distributor rotates. They are really simple but the diagnostic steps are more of a good guess than direct steps. There are parts in the system that aren’t talked about or tested in diagnostic and that is what will cause most people trouble when troubleshooting
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:45pm
All in the name of what? Emissions? Economy? Cousin had to have that replaced on his 65. Was over $1500 I think for part alone. Makes no good sense.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 1:39am
That was probably those porcelain parts in the head fill valves or pumping chamber or whatever that crap is.  They're supposed to be lubed by fuel, did it 3 times on my 65 and then finally spent $5k on a whole new pump and know it throws codes that there is air in the system but everyone throws there hands up now.  My brother had a CaseIH 4wd with a cummins with a caps system, worked on it for years, in a last ditch effort tried to put a mechanical back on the motor but never worked, he sold the tractor on auctiontime. It didn't bring much as everyone already knew about caps.  I once called cummins about my 8.3 and when I told the guy it had a caps he said "UH OH" Ouch They didn't use it long.

Edited by Kansas99 - 04 Dec 2020 at 1:43am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 7:31am
The CAPS was Cummins' answer to the Bosch VP44 used on the 5.9. It looks nothing like a P pump though, except it uses a P pump mounting flange, so that is why there have been shops develop kits to put a Bosch P pump on those engines. I've heard they had other issues though, never been involved with one, no time to get involved lol! The injectors are still a typical injector and look just like ones from a 24 valve 5.9 but taller. I think there's a few injection shops that service those pumps with some success. I'm not one of them lol! I know better than to even mess with one. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 7:35am
Ya if you see somebody walking in with one of those lock your doors! LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 6:13pm
Don’t knock something you don’t understand.
Ricky D View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricky D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 6:32pm
8.3's had a front cover leak problem, we had R62 &they fixed that when we got it. We now have R65 w/Sisu, about a third less fuel. Both engines perform well but can't believe the difference in fuel consumption.
MikeKroupa View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 9:26pm
AGCO also used a similar designed injection pump on the SISU tier 2, 8.4L engines. We have one in a tier 2, 240A Tractor. It's been really dependable except for one catastrophic inj. pump failure years ago. It was maybe 5 years old, took it to Diesel Specialties, Sioux City, 1,500 dollars later still running strong. Engine manufactures were trying to catch up with new EPA mandates and use these designs until common rail  technology was developed and became widely adopted. I have vivid memories of waiting for Cummins Central Power Service Tech to show up and diagnose fault codes on my under 200 hours R62. All while our other 1999 R62 8.3CTA continued to hum along. , Mike
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 2:15am
Originally posted by im4racin im4racin wrote:

Don’t knock something you don’t understand.

Well I own one and I can tell you that in 4500hrs.  it has been worked on 3 times by a agco dealer, once by a pump shop, and once by cummins and $8k later it still is not right.  So I will knock them because they're junk imo.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 5:18am
Find a better tech
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 10:49am
Originally posted by im4racin im4racin wrote:

Find a better tech
I have an idea. Why don't you offer some help/guidance on the much hated CAPS fuel system instead telling everyone they are "stupid". You must be one of a few who know why they are not a problem. That system has cost alot of people alot of money and still a problem. When "qualified" people can't fix it,there's something out of whack.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 05 Dec 2020 at 10:49am
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 12:26pm
Ok ask the tech working on it where is the transient suppressor. If he can find it and a part number he might have a clue.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 6:20pm
I like the KISS rule. If it's difficult, not to mention expense, to service then there might be a problem even if it "can" be a good system. Like a Deutz engine.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:34am
Both my engines run the bosch inline pump.only bad thing id say about my 8.3s is that they love to drink fuel. I use alot more fuel at harvest then at seeding time.

Edited by JPG AUSTRALIA - 06 Dec 2020 at 6:35am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by JPG AUSTRALIA JPG AUSTRALIA wrote:

Both my engines run the bosch inline pump.only bad thing id say about my 8.3s is that they love to drink fuel. I use alot more fuel at harvest then at seeding time.
I noticed that my L2 took a good bit less fuel to harvest the same acres as my R52.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

I noticed that my L2 took a good bit less fuel to harvest the same acres as my R52.
My F2 uses less that 2 gal per acre...an 8.3 R62 would suck compared to that! Oh well.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 06 Dec 2020 at 11:11pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

My F2 uses less that 2 gal per acre...an 8.3 R62 would suck compared to that! Oh well.

Hard to beat the 433TI motor on fuel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic